ReefCleaners.org

my 40 breeder...

glennr1978

Only 2 times a day........but hey nice sump.....I just built a 10 gallon one I WAS proud of

Thanks Medusa!!

It looks like my vortech should arrive today. Unfortunately I will likely have already left for work when it gets here. Hopefully I will have it up and running tomorrow.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man I hate your tank cause it makes me hate mine.

Steve

I truly hope that is something good enough to be hated a week from now after it's moved to the new house!!!

Thanks for the compliment??

My vortech came in today....err yesterday now.

Unfortunately, it arrived about 15 minutes before I had to leave for work. I got it in the tank and running, but didn't have time to mess with it much. From what I could tell the flow is extremely well dispersed. I'm not sure if it's going to be enough for my tank though. I plan on trying all of the different flow options tomorrow to see if I can get it to move a little more water. Hopefully I can figure something out or I will be doing the upgrade to an MP40w in the very near future, and my wife is gonna kill me!!

"only a true reefer appreciates the beauty of fish sh!t."

yes i am a new reefer. HOWEVER i went to a school in New Haven, Connecticut (this school specialized in aquaculture and are now aqua culturing lobsters) and smelt it (being their collection cup,that was roughly the size of a bus no not a short buss either, for their professional grade system)there i almost passed out. Even if your not breathing you can feel it in your chest.

on another note. Glenn i LOVE your tank and you have inspired me to convert my 20L from fresh to salt. OOOOOOooooOOOOO in the inspiration. i was also thinking about not making it a reef but making it a mantis shrimp tank and was wondering if u had any thoughts about that.

i would greatly appreciate if you could guide me in your ways of WIN.

YET ANOTHER NOTE: if this is the "short version" i don't want to kno how long the long version is

gulfsurfer101

I would kill myself too if I spent 300-500 dollars on a powerhead just to do it again because I wasn't happy with the first one. I hear those tings are tottally awsome, did you get yours dialed in yet or are you gonna go for the bigger one.

Shoot Me_I Explode

Great tank, all I can say is I hope mine comes close to matching it. Can you please post a picture and describe your DIY dosing pump system, what you used and how you have it set up. I will be needing one in the future and anything that is diy and can save a few bucks is welcomed. :)

I would kill myself too if I spent 300-500 dollars on a powerhead just to do it again because I wasn't happy with the first one. I hear those tings are tottally awsome, did you get yours dialed in yet or are you gonna go for the bigger one.

The upgrade is only $100, and after adding up all the things I've sold I've really only got about $40 invested in the vortech. After watching it for a while today I may have to reconsider even upgrading to the MP40w. The one I have now may be enough as it is afterall. I have the best PE from my lower flow requiring SPS that I've ever had. And all of my high flow SPS look just as happy with the vortech as they did when I was pushing about 3500gph.

Honestly, I think the inhabitants of my tank are just fine with the vortech. I think it's me that just wants more flow!!

I did play around with it a little earlier today, and it is an impressive pump. It's very easy to use, and much quieter than the other 4 pumps I had running in the tank. I'll give you the run down next sunday!!

Great tank, all I can say is I hope mine comes close to matching it. Can you please post a picture and describe your DIY dosing pump system, what you used and how you have it set up. I will be needing one in the future and anything that is diy and can save a few bucks is welcomed. :)

I'm really surprised no one has asked more about this. I've been running it for months now and it's worked basically flawlessly. I can't get any pics up because I'm pretty sure our camera is already packed up. I'll try to describe it in detail though.

First you need to get the supplies. I use 2 aqualifter pumps, 2 digital timers (must be digital, the other ones won't work), 1/4" (or 3/8", I'm really not sure) airline hose, and 2 ball valves.

It's really very simple. You need to know how much Alk and Ca your tank is using. Then set the digital timer to turn on for one minute. How it works is the timer kicks the aqualifter on in one minute inervals and you adjust the ball valve to regulate how much fluid comes out in that one minute. If you only want to dose for one minute once a day then you won't need to dilute your mixtures at all. In my tank I dose for Alk 4 times throughout the night to keep Ph as stable as possible. My tank requires 40mL of alk each day so I've had to dilute the mixture to accomodate this.

I have the ball valve set to let the aqualifter pump the full 40mL in one minute. So in order to spread that out into 4 dosages throughout the night I had to dilute the alk part by 4x's. So when I fill my Alk reservoir I add 200mL of Bionic part 1, and an additional 600mL of RO/DI. In my system the timer for Alk comes on at 11:30pm, 2:30am, 6:30am, and 10:30am.

I have the second aqualifter set up on the second digital timer to dose the full 40mL of bionic part 2 everyday at 3:30pm.

I hope that was a good enough explaination. I just got off work and didn't get any sleep last night so if none of that made any sense it's because I'm really, really tired!!

"only a true reefer appreciates the beauty of fish sh!t."

yes i am a new reefer. HOWEVER i went to a school in New Haven, Connecticut (this school specialized in aquaculture and are now aqua culturing lobsters) and smelt it (being their collection cup,that was roughly the size of a bus no not a short buss either, for their professional grade system)there i almost passed out. Even if your not breathing you can feel it in your chest.

on another note. Glenn i LOVE your tank and you have inspired me to convert my 20L from fresh to salt. OOOOOOooooOOOOO in the inspiration. i was also thinking about not making it a reef but making it a mantis shrimp tank and was wondering if u had any thoughts about that.

i would greatly appreciate if you could guide me in your ways of WIN.

YET ANOTHER NOTE: if this is the "short version" i don't want to kno how long the long version is

Thanks for the compliments!! I'm glad my tank has inspired you, that's really flattering!. I wish i could give you some advice about your matis idea, but i don't know much of anything about them except that they look like little aliens. Mean little aliens at that!!

I also have a 20L sitting in my garage that I will likely not be allowed to set up. Which sucks because I have some really cool ideas I want to try on this tank. My wife is completely cool with me setting it up, just not setting it up one the bar like I want to. I want it to be 3 sides viewable, and that's really the only spot in the house where that can be accomplished. Anyway, 20Ls are sweet, and are an excellent choice for a reef tank.

If you have any other questions freel free to ask. I'll gladly help out however I can.

"It's forking long....." said Kraylen. .......... DAMN RIGHT IT IS

i was also wondering about how the plumbing into you sump was set up because i have a spare 10g so i was thinking about making that a sump. so i could have cooler fishies and such

"It's forking long....." said Kraylen. .......... DAMN RIGHT IT IS

i was also wondering about how the plumbing into you sump was set up because i have a spare 10g so i was thinking about making that a sump. so i could have cooler fishies and such

I did a crap job when I initially plumbed the tank. At the time I really didn't know any better though. I'm going to re-plumb the whole thing when the tank is moved. This time I'm using flex PVC, a clear true union swing check valve, and no 90's ;) .

Tomorrow is going to be a big day for my tank. It's being broken down, moved, getting re-plumbed, and getting a new sump. I hope it all goes well, wish me luck!!!

good luck! let us know what how it went when you can!

Thanks, i'll get some pics but won't be able to post them for a while. i couldn't transfer my cable/phone/internet service to my new house and had to switch to a different ISP. My connection now is probably slower than dial up. so I won't be able to post any pics until i get that issue resolved.

:o Good luck!

thanks! Did you guys get hit hard by the storm?

thanks! Did you guys get hit hard by the storm?

Not at all, it rained a little and the wind picked up a bit, but nothing 'tropical' about it. Hope it wasn't too bad for you?

Good luck bruddah!

Thanks Ben, what were you doing up so late?

Well between myself, and gulfsurfer101, we got the tank moved. It wasn't easy since it started raining as i was finishing breaking it all down. Luckily my mother in law let me borrow here Tahoe and we just baaaaareely got everything in it. It was by far the most stressful thing I've done in a really long time. As of right now all my corals (and everything else for that matter) are just thrown in the tank. The new plumbing works great, although i had to make 4 trips to HD because I'm a dumba$$ and kept forgetting stuff. the new sump is now online as well, and is working perfectly. The skimmer was kind of hard to fit in place, but it worked. The water temp dropped to about 74, and is being raised as I type. All of my fish seem to be okay, and I FINALLY GOT RID OF MY BA$TARD PSEUDOCHROMIS!!!!!! Jeremiah took the fish, and I wish him the best of luck with it, he's gonna need it. My corals seem to have not even noticed the move. Most all of my SPS had crazy polyp extension even while in bags. I've basically got the tank running on just life support right now (vortech, skimmer, heater, return pump), but plan to get it all knocked out tonight. I just want it all to be done, so i'm not going to quit tonight until it is.

Thanks again to Gulfsurfer101 for all of the help, I literally could not have got it done withoout you. And to your wife for being so patient through the whole thing especially when I was throwing my temper tantrums when sh!t wasn't going right! After she has the baby, I owe that lady a drink!! give me a call next time you're off so i can get you your frags. I'm pretty sure everything is going to be just fine (the tank is already almost clear, and all looks good), so i'm confident in fragging within the next couple of days if necessary.

Awsome day today for me since it only involved lifting heavy ###### like I'm pretty much used to and watching this man preform all the work. Scored the sunset monti I've been after for months and got lots of other goodies from it as well. Glenn thanks for the shot of crown my freind, it was the perfect night cap to a long day and my wife is finally happy after getting home to my little girl. If you need me to I will bring my digi which is a peice of crap but I'll let you do your thing and help you post pics of your tottally awsome corals. That sump looks like it will rock. Thanks for the bastard fish he lookd happy all by himself in a tank overcroweded from LR and looks like I scored a stowaway pepermint from the sump that I got from you. I will post pics of those frags that had almost immeadiate PE right after I dropped them in my tank. Good luck and hope we did everythign right. I knew you wouldn't quit till it was done and would almost have put money on it if I had a taker.

Archived