Top Shelf Aquatics

my 40 breeder...

glennr1978

Looks great. Can't wait to see it in 6 more months!

How do you like the 250 over the 40? do you feel you are getting enough light to all parts of the tank?

-Prof

Overall I like it, but if I were to do it over I would go with 2 x's 150s.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Overall I like it, but if I were to do it over I would go with 2 x's 150s.

Thanks for the input. That's the way I was thinking of going with mine too if I go MH. I am still divided between T5 and MH though. I need to make a decision!

-Prof

Thanks for the input. That's the way I was thinking of going with mine too if I go MH. I am still divided between T5 and MH though. I need to make a decision!

-Prof

That's a tough call. TJs' tank is doing great with T5s.

Tell me about it! TJ's tank does look sharp with those T5's. I need to poop or get of the pot and make a decision!

-Prof

How are the chromis doing?

I am down to 3...

I'm now down to 8. Not sure why they are starting to drop off??? It seems to me that most of the time they die within the first week or so. I'm a month or more in and they are just now starting to die, I don't get it.

Let the "I told you so's" begin Kraylen.

Tell me about it! TJ's tank does look sharp with those T5's. I need to poop or get of the pot and make a decision!

-Prof

If I were you I think I would maybe give the T5's a shot. I think they would cost about the same as dual 150's, and bulbe replacement would probably cost about the same as well (I think. I don't know much about T5's). The apparent advantages of T5's is that you can really fine tune the color spectrum, and they run cooler. You will lose the shimmer of halides, but that's nothing a few LEDs couldn't fix.

I'm not to concerned about the MH shimmer. I have actually been leaning towards the T-5s then saw your 40 with the 250 over it and it got me thinking again. It's all your fault! B)

I need to decide quick because I have designed the stand but want to make sure I have finalized my lighting decision before I design the canopy and start building.

On a more positive note one of my local LFS tanked and closed up shop and I got 2 20L tanks that are already drilled and have bulkheads for free. Frag tank is now taken care of!

-Prof

I'm not to concerned about the MH shimmer. I have actually been leaning towards the T-5s then saw your 40 with the 250 over it and it got me thinking again. It's all your fault! B)

I need to decide quick because I have designed the stand but want to make sure I have finalized my lighting decision before I design the canopy and start building.

On a more positive note one of my local LFS tanked and closed up shop and I got 2 20L tanks that are already drilled and have bulkheads for free. Frag tank is now taken care of!

-Prof

Nice score on the tanks.

BTW, dual 150w FTW! Found mine used online for $170 shipped then bought some bulbs from hellolights.com.

I'm thinking about cutting this guy up a bit. Do any of you know what it's called? It's abviously an encrusting monti, and the parts that are brown have been turning more yellow lately. I've only had it for a few weeks, but it's already grown quite a bit.

DSC00384.jpg

I may be wrong but I have one very similar to that that I got from Nano Paul awhile back. The closest that I could find to an ID was Montipora Peltiformis but it looks like the Peltiformis is a plating variety. I know that mine encrusts like yours. Sweet monti for sure...cream base with bright purple polyps.

Dude, whenever I need inspiration to keep going I look at your FTSs. I also didn't know you had a pair of true percs when I bought mine, I swear I'm not copying you that much.

Do you feel like trying to list your coral livestock?

I'm thinking about cutting this guy up a bit. Do any of you know what it's called? It's abviously an encrusting monti, and the parts that are brown have been turning more yellow lately. I've only had it for a few weeks, but it's already grown quite a bit.

DSC00384.jpg

That would be a reverse superman pokerstar sunset eating an appleberry monti LOL. J/k

I am curious to see what color the base turns

isnt that the superman monti? hehe i want a frag sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Turn it over and see if it has the superman logo.
VannReefer87

sick tank as always.....and happy birthday to you sir...serve yourself up a nice shot tonight at the bar (red ferrari...sooo good it hurts)

Dude, whenever I need inspiration to keep going I look at your FTSs. I also didn't know you had a pair of true percs when I bought mine, I swear I'm not copying you that much.

Do you feel like trying to list your coral livestock?

I would try to list them all, but I honestly don't know the names of alot of them.

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone

Dude, your starfish is totally doing your clam.

Dammit nanoty! This is how the last thread got so long!

Glenn, just wanted to remind you that you should update your first entry to remove some of the chromis :huh:

Dammit nanoty! This is how the last thread got so long!

Glenn, just wanted to remind you that you should update your first entry to remove some of the chromis :huh:

screw that, I'm buying more!! j/k. I forgot about that, thanks for the heads up.

Archived