Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

There is a LOT of algae in the tank so he will be feed for a bit. I have a 12g reef with 2 Clowns, 1 Royal Dottyback, 1 Mandarin Goby, and a Cleaner Shrimp as well as crabs and snails.

My 34g tank is aggressive, just started it with Damsels and a Yellow Spotted Puffer so I think the 12 would be the only suitable home if there is enough room for his bio load. The tank is skimmed.

Ok so maybe for the next week or so he has enough food but for the long run he will out grow the food supply and the tank. He will get to around 5 inches long and need to be in at least a 30g tank according to live aquaria http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...4&pcatid=94. Thats at a minium of 30 gallons with no other algea eaters in there.

So no he will not fit in the 12 gallon. The mandarin shouldn't even be in the 12g as they like to move around and graze as well. Liveaquaria again recommends at least a 30g tank for them http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=551.

You really should start researching these things BEFORE you buy them and put them in tanks that are unsuitable for them. This hobby is all about patients so please aquire some.

And as for the 34g tank you just started it and already have several fish in it? Please tell me you cycled it first properly. I think you should get a better id on the puffer because I couldn't find one with that commen name and just so you are foreward there are only a few puffers that would be suitable for this size tank. So you might want to think about that.

^Again.

To add to the mandarin info, they really shouldn't be kept in a tank smaller than 30gal. (ideally 100+) and even then you will need to make sure they are eating properly as they graze mainly on pods. Your tanks are way overstocked!

Some shots from my 2.5

Great shots, they look healthy and happy! :)

Edited by Lalani

I'm thinking about joining the sexy shrimp club. I have a 20H.

Right now I have:

1 fire(blood) shrimp

4 four hermit crabs

(+Considering a pair of blue spotted porcelean crabs)

How many sexies should I keep in the tank?

I was thinking of 5. More? Less?

Also, my fire shrimp is a little aggressive. I've never seen him go after anything outside of his territory, but depending on his mood he will chase something out of his area be it fish or cleaner shrimp. I guess that is normal, but do I need to worry about him harrassing the tiny little sexy shrimp??

EDIT: I was just reading above that someone mentioned 10 sexies in a 8 gallon. Someone else said they could even add to that number. By that math I could have 25 sexies in my 20 gallon with room to grow. Now, I don't want nearly that many, but would 9 - 12 be a decent amount with the other inverts I plan to keep?

Edited by themadride

Haha, 9-12 sexies would be just fine in your tank. And I don't think you would need to worry about the fire shrimp bothering them, but I have no experience with them.

Nor_Cal_Cuber
Ok so maybe for the next week or so he has enough food but for the long run he will out grow the food supply and the tank. He will get to around 5 inches long and need to be in at least a 30g tank according to live aquaria http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...4&pcatid=94. Thats at a minium of 30 gallons with no other algea eaters in there.

So no he will not fit in the 12 gallon. The mandarin shouldn't even be in the 12g as they like to move around and graze as well. Liveaquaria again recommends at least a 30g tank for them http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=551.

You really should start researching these things BEFORE you buy them and put them in tanks that are unsuitable for them. This hobby is all about patients so please aquire some.

And as for the 34g tank you just started it and already have several fish in it? Please tell me you cycled it first properly. I think you should get a better id on the puffer because I couldn't find one with that commen name and just so you are foreward there are only a few puffers that would be suitable for this size tank. So you might want to think about that.

For one I am smart enough to take out the algea benny when it outgrows the tank, in the mean time I can simply feed him see weed if algea runs low?

As far as the Mandarin goes, he is healthy and eats brine as well as pods from cheato.

How am I overstocked? Actually toke the fire fish out of the BC8 so it has a low load.

As far as my 34, I waited a month before putting anything in there expect Damsels. It currently has 5 small Dasmels, a niger trigger and this size and look puffer: Brackish aclimated to salt.

post-394-1180130899.jpg

For one I am smart enough to take out the algea benny when it outgrows the tank, in the mean time I can simply feed him see weed if algea runs low?

As far as the Mandarin goes, he is healthy and eats brine as well as pods from cheato.

How am I overstocked? Actually toke the fire fish out of the BC8 so it has a low load.

As far as my 34, I waited a month before putting anything in there expect Damsels. It currently has 5 small Dasmels, a niger trigger and this size and look puffer: Brackish aclimated to salt.

post-394-1180130899.jpg

I would recommend starting another thread for this. You've certainly got some issues to work out.

Here are some new pics of my sexies all settled in.

Sweet pics! :)

someone should start it

Haha, I think you should. :P

I would recommend starting another thread for this. You've certainly got some issues to work out.

Exactly.

Nor_Cal_Cuber, nobody is trying to pick on you, but you seem to have some misconceptions about what and how you are keeping livestock. If you would like to know what we're talking about, please start another thread. Oh, and did you rehome that nem you had in your BC8?

Edited by Lalani

Picture033.jpg

Sign up for a photobucket.com account, upload your pics there, and copy&paste the IMG code into your post. :D

I just did that and there is my sexies. Thanks for the help Lalani.

I don't think I've posted here before , but I've considered myself an unofficial member of the SexyShrimp Club for some time.

Here's a quick pic of my 2.5g AGA Sexy Pico.

Consists of:

21 Ricordeas

1 Green Striped mushroom

Star Polyps

Assorted Zoanthids

7 Sexy Shrimp

2 Blue-legged hermits

2 snails (unknown)

18 watt Current Satellite

AC 20

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Photos taken with Canon 20D + Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Edited by ddelallata
Bingo! I see three of the little cuties. :)

Yeah I just got a camera for Christmas and still getting the hang of it.

I am learning how to get them up and I will be taking more pics.

I don't think I've posted here before , but I've considered myself an unofficial member of the SexyShrimp Club for some time.

Consists of:

21 Ricordeas

1 Green Striped mushroom

Star Polyps

Assorted Zoanthids

7 Sexy Shrimp

2 Blue-legged hermits

2 snails (unknown)

18 watt Current Satellite

AC 20

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Wow nice tank, I really like what you have going on there. High five.

5.99 @ liveaquaria

Go figure, they always put them on sale AFTER I buy from them. -_-

Thanks for the heads-up, adin!

Holy moly, nice shots! And great ric collection.. very nice tank.... and photo gear. :)