Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Shaggy2061
On 6/28/2018 at 7:27 PM, mndfreeze said:

I had a few bumblebee snails back in the day. They were cool but I ended up getting rid of them because I liked the small tube worms more.

Hoping to get some of those when i start my new tank in about a month.Tube worms that is

A Little Blue

My sure likes to hang around RFA and Euphillias. I’ll take him out the moment he starts misbehaving. So far, so good. 

72A21FC8-4189-4101-83E0-C4C7BBECFA55.thumb.jpeg.4f44fd97c692f61e0e7006ed9e814240.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Just started a 5 gal rock anemone tank, can anyone suggest a clean up crew?  I got 5 sexies in there and they mostly hang out with the nems on the bed.  Can they be considered members of the clean up crew?  Given the lack of real estate (plan to get alot more nems), was wondering if there any snail/conch/crab options that wont get killed by the nems.  Also would love to add a small fish or 2, but again same dilemma of floorspace and compatibility.    Also running an Aqueon AT-10 filter/powerhead in there.  Has a replaceable little carbon filter and rubber Bio grid in there.  Any suggestions or input from experience would be greatly appreciated.NemTank.thumb.jpg.031d2c43802d8dfe3c9e6e8d9819a5db.jpg

On 10/23/2018 at 8:47 PM, Reg said:

Just started a 5 gal rock anemone tank, can anyone suggest a clean up crew?  I got 5 sexies in there and they mostly hang out with the nems on the bed.  Can they be considered members of the clean up crew?  Given the lack of real estate (plan to get alot more nems), was wondering if there any snail/conch/crab options that wont get killed by the nems.  Also would love to add a small fish or 2, but again same dilemma of floorspace and compatibility.    Also running an Aqueon AT-10 filter/powerhead in there.  Has a replaceable little carbon filter and rubber Bio grid in there.  Any suggestions or input from experience would be greatly appreciated.

5G is too small for any conch.  Way too small even for a fighting conch. It will slowly starve over a period of months.

Trochus snails, cerith snails and hermit crabs will all be fine for CUC.  They will avoid the nems and other than the occasional accident they will be fine.  They are also super cheap and are planned 'replacement' critters anyway.  Over time you are just going to lose CUC members and need to replenish them.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:00 PM, BlennyBoi said:

should i get some sexies for a 30g reef? do they get on with skunk cleaner shrimp?

The skunk cleaner won't be the problem.  Sexy shrimp are pretty fast little bastards.   They are small shrimp though so you have to be careful with your fish selection or other inverts that might wanna snack on em.

27 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

The skunk cleaner won't be the problem.  Sexy shrimp are pretty fast little bastards.   They are small shrimp though so you have to be careful with your fish selection or other inverts that might wanna snack on em.

the fish are a sixline wrasse, clownfish and bicolour blenny. i dont have the skunk cleaner, but plan to get one. also, what corals do they host?

Sixline will murder em most likely.  They are notorious bullies and invert munchers.  You gotta remember that sexy shrimp are TINY.  Like half inch to 3/4" and are tasty little snacks for fish that like inverts, which most wrasses do.

Just now, mndfreeze said:

Sixline will murder em most likely.  They are notorious bullies and invert munchers.  You gotta remember that sexy shrimp are TINY.  Like half inch to 3/4" and are tasty little snacks for fish that like inverts, which most wrasses do.

i didnt know they were that small! i thought like 2"! better stick with the skunk cleaners then!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Clownfish king

Was planning on getting 3 sexy shrimp and peppermint in my 10 gallon aquarium I plan to feed shrimp pellets. I’m also gonna have a few decorative hermits with my 2 paired clowns

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had 5 sexies in a 55 gallon tank that I loved. They adopted a coral and lived right in front, so I could see them often. I upgraded to a 112 gallon, and very rarely see them! I added three more tiny ones (that was all that was available) and may not have seen them at all except once or

twice. Any way to lire them out? They are my favorites—I would love to have a whole colony!

• 9 months later...
1epauletteshark

Hey guys, this is my first marine aquarium and i am hoping to add a few of these guys into my 17g how many can i add? Also i want to add a peppermint shrimp will they fight?