Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

• 3 weeks later...

Would changes in salinity affect sexy shrimp a lot?

Depends on how drastic of change and over how much time. A sharp drop/rise in a short period of time will affect just about anything. Slower changes usually won't harm anything until its really drastic.

A change of 1.025 to 1.027 in about three days at the most. Normally it doesn't change that much. Would that be fine? My snails and hermit crab seem to be fine so far. But I've never had shrimp before.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the look of these, I know 10g is ideal, but is 24 gallon pushing it?

they are pretty social and tend to hang out in full

view. so yeah, that's a bigger tank than ideal, but you'll

likely see them waving their tails even so. :)

Thinking about a few of these for my new spec v. I have some coral in there, but just frags of whats in my 12, so small pieces. Would they be ok or should I wait to get a nice sized piece of coral for them? Only have a hermit and a few snails at the moment.

Are you looking to feed them the coral or something? They don't need any in the tank.

No, I just know they like hanging out on nems and corals and wasn't sure if it was more necessary than not to have those for them.

No, I just know they like hanging out on nems and corals and wasn't sure if it was more necessary than not to have those for them.

they do love hanging out on corals.

i think they'd be okay without, but it'd make

them happier? mine sexy shrimps loved my xenia,

my frogspawn, and now they favorite are my flower nems. :D

Mine hang out on my Duncans all the time. I can tell it's time to feed them when they start wandering all over the tank and trampling the zoas. But they don't actually need any corals to thrive.

15755099155_3197b54b76_c.jpg

Last week, I bought one large(ish) sexy shrimp. Yesterday I added two smaller ones(one only slightly smaller and the other significantly smaller). The two larger sexy's seem to be fighting with each other if one gets too close to the other. Is this normal? They all seem fairly happy otherwise

NorthGaHillbilly

I've got three of these little guys, one hosts on my torch, and the other two are on the duncan, no damage to the corals so far, awesome to watch, and o. Top of that they chow down on my hydroids, which is a good thing.

Last week, I bought one large(ish) sexy shrimp. Yesterday I added two smaller ones(one only slightly smaller and the other significantly smaller). The two larger sexy's seem to be fighting with each other if one gets too close to the other. Is this normal? They all seem fairly happy otherwise

i think that's normal. mine "snapped" at each other

quite a lot too. but mostly, they are friendly now. but they've

been tank mates for 7 months i think? so give it some time.

it's just petty squabbling. congrats on your new sexies!

I've got three of these little guys, one hosts on my torch, and the other two are on the duncan, no damage to the corals so far, awesome to watch, and o. Top of that they chow down on my hydroids, which is a good thing.

they eat hydroids? good to know. and congrats to you too

on your sexies!

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 sexies currently and am planning on adding another 3-5 in my 36 gallon.

I'm also considering a dwarf Hawaiian moray in the future as they seem to be the least likely to binge on anything that moves in the tank. Has anyone had experience mixing these two species? I really like my sexies (although they are not seen very often) and wouldn't want them to become lunch!

• 2 weeks later...

omg.... this is making me want some shrimp! i actually saw one in person today! it was so tiny! im building an 8 gal w clowns and corals now... not sure if i should do sexy shrimp or a cleaner??? i like that the cleaners actually clean tho.....

• Like 1

omg.... this is making me want some shrimp! i actually saw one in person today! it was so tiny! im building an 8 gal w clowns and corals now... not sure if i should do sexy shrimp or a cleaner??? i like that the cleaners actually clean tho.....

mine were teeny when i first got them too. but they

grew fast! they are maybe six months old (in my tank)

and almost one inch big each? well, maybe 4/5 inch? ha

• Like 1

mine were teeny when i first got them too. but they

grew fast! they are maybe six months old (in my tank)

and almost one inch big each? well, maybe 4/5 inch? ha

yeah the one i saw was like 1/2 inch! super tiny!

• Like 1

Quick question, I have a 8x8x8 2.2g cube. Curious how many of these I could add to a tank this size without them being too crowded.

i would say 4 would be okay.

some might say you can go more,

but they like their spaces, even if not

super territorial. you want to give them

breathing room.

Working on getting 30 or so of these guys for my 70 gallon cube.

When I moved from my 8gallon to my 70gallon I had one left in the tank, last time I saw it was when I moved the tank to a new house and never saw it again. I think it be pretty awesome to have that many among the rock flowers and all my other coral. Depending how it works out may have to order more then that!

• Like 1