Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Why do they turn green like that?

Not sure exactly why, but they sometimes turn green when stressed or even during the night. Kind of like how some fish go pale during the night.

A few of mine have fallen in love with my Frogspawn but I'm starting to wonder if they're actually irritating him or even trying to eat some?

http://cichlidblog.com/wordpress/?cat=10

How cool, is that your webcam??

They won't hurt the frogspawn, they are anemone shrimp and will not harm their host. :)

Great pics everybody! Keep them coming! :D

Those are definitely some awesome pics! :happy:

For a while now I've noticed that my sexies don't dance as much anymore. But then I use to have three and now I'm down to just two so I'm wondering if that might be a factor or if this is normal? :unsure:

For a while now I've noticed that my sexies don't dance as much anymore. But then I use to have three and now I'm down to just two so I'm wondering if that might be a factor or if this is normal? :unsure:

Hmmmm, I dunno for sure, Aaron. Could be the lesser number and they may not feel quite as comfortable? Get some more sexy in that tank! :P

And sorry you lost one. :(

I've heard of several instances of YWGs eating shrimp as large as skunk cleaners.... I personally wouldn't trust one with sexies, but I don't think it happens often.

Hmmmm, I dunno for sure, Aaron. Could be the lesser number and they may not feel quite as comfortable? Get some more sexy in that tank! :P

And sorry you lost one. :(

I think they're more than comfortable, it just seems like they're bored! This is probably what they mean when they say they do better in odd number groups. I've been wanting to get more sexies but the same LFS I got mine from want double the price! :o

Hi all, I've been a lurker here for a while trying to read up on all the great info (which I'll never catch up on! :rolleyes: ), but this is the first post I've made.

I've been having a little bit of a problem with my sexies. I have a 3 gal pico with two shrimp (one male and one female), some zoas and LPS.

The female has probably tripled in size since I got them (two months ago) while the male has stayed about the same size. Is this normal? :huh:

I've been feeding them shrimp pellets and mysis (when I feed the micros), but the female has developed a taste for VERY expensive LPS :( . Is there anything I can do besides remove the corals or the shrimp? Would getting a few more shrimp help? I had originally been planning on having five of the little guys in my tank, but if I can't keep the corals I want, I'd rather not have them.

Thanks in advance for the advice/suggestions!

Oh, and ...both seen here if you have keen eyes :happy:

3018080042_398d6004d4.jpg?v=0

Thanks Lalani! Yep that's a little webcam that I have setup to run 24/7 so I can feed my lust here at work too. I'm using a combo of an old Pismo Powerbook running EvoCam with a dyndns account and some simple changes to my router.

So I guess my new FS just feels hastled right now by the sexy's? I hope he'll come out again..he's great lookin.

I didn't know that about YWG's and sexy's. I have a YWG and at last count 7-8 sexy's.

Uh...Oh

Edited by pjewett
I've been feeding them shrimp pellets and mysis (when I feed the micros), but the female has developed a taste for VERY expensive LPS :( . Is there anything I can do besides remove the corals or the shrimp? Would getting a few more shrimp help? I had originally been planning on having five of the little guys in my tank, but if I can't keep the corals I want, I'd rather not have them.

:welcome: to NR.com and the sexy club!!

Hmm, I haven't heard of sexies munching on LPS, but if you're sure they are doing this and hurting the corals despite keeping them well-fed.. I'm not sure what you could do to stop it, short of removing the sexies. :(

I didn't know that about YWG's and sexy's. I have a YWG and at last count 7-8 sexy's.

Uh...Oh

Like I said before, it's not very common to hear about a ywg eating shrimp, but it is a possibility. Just keep an eye out and do regular head counts. ;)

:welcome: to NR.com and the sexy club!!

Hmm, I haven't heard of sexies munching on LPS, but if you're sure they are doing this and hurting the corals despite keeping them well-fed.. I'm not sure what you could do to stop it, short of removing the sexies. :(

I'm certain that she was after the corals, they were healthy and eating and then gone the next day with a shrimp sitting over the skeleton.

Do you think it's possible that she would be better behaved with more company? Or am I asking for more trouble?

I have two, one male and one female purchased at the same time. She's quite a bully. I may have to start calling her Ms. Piggy and name the male Kermit. Their size differential is about the same too...

Thanks. Maybe I'll get one more and see how they do with that, otherwise they may have to be traded for a goby...

Ms. Piggy sure is a fitting name! :lol:

The only thing I can suggest is to possibly feed her two pellets/day or whenever you see her bothering the corals. I know I sometimes chase mine away from the zoa skirts with a pair of forceps instead of feeding them, and it tends to scare them back to the hammer coral, which they don't leave for a couple of hours.

Yah, I poke at her with the chopstick that I use to give her the pellet when I see her near the micros. I just wish I had cottoned on sooner to the fact she was munching on the others. <_<

Looks like I'll never be able to go on vacation if she needs to be fed daily like that :P

can i join the sexy club? i recently added 5 sexy shrimp tempura! lol they are such a mess and very fun to watch. here they are "the fantastic 5" actually the 3 are chilling behind my monti and the other 2 hiding somewhere couldn't find them probably took a break:

IMG_0026.jpg