Coral Vue Hydros

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Nor_Cal_Cuber
well i blew him off the zoanthids with a turkey baster and it must have taught him to stay off the zoanthids because they have left them alone since then and i do keep them fed once a day with a good sized pellet each so hopefully that solves my problem

My LFS guy says pellets are a no-no for Sexies, should I ignore him?

well i blew him off the zoanthids with a turkey baster and it must have taught him to stay off the zoanthids because they have left them alone since then and i do keep them fed once a day with a good sized pellet each so hopefully that solves my problem

Hehe, whatever works... kind of like spraying water on a cat to make it stop something. :lol:

should I ignore him?

YES, pellets are fine for sexies... those LFS people are a little coo coo for coco puffs sometimes.

She's a beauty, J! I still want to raise baby sexies, but just have too many things going on.. :(

I wonder if yankeereefer has tried yet???

Yeah me too. I was thinking of breeding them but I've got too much commitments and also I didn't see any stock of the sexy shrimps in lfs lately. Cos I was thinking of getting 2 new pairs to breed instead of having a hard time catching my existing sexies in my main tank. As you know they can move really fast if they want to. -_-

Just 1 questons , do you know if there is a need to separate the frys from the parent once the female release the babies? :happy:

Wil the parent eat their own babies? :huh:

Another ting that i have found out about differeniate the sex of the shrimp by size is by looking at the white spots on their body. But I'm not sure how true that is :happy: Can anyone confirm that? :huh:

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3762

Taken from another forum to share. And wow, I just found out that someone have use your(Lalani) pics for example of the sexies pair. Lol!

Edited by j'field
Just 1 questons , do you know if there is a need to separate the frys from the parent once the female release the babies? :happy:

Wil the parent eat their own babies? :huh:

Another ting that i have found out about differeniate the sex of the shrimp by size is by looking at the white spots on their body. But I'm not sure how true that is :happy: Can anyone confirm that? :huh:

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3762

Taken from another forum to share. And wow, I just found out that someone have use your(Lalani) pics for example of the sexies pair. Lol!

Hey J,

It is suggested that you remove the adult female sexy from the fry tank, as I am sure they would eat the little guys. Plus, the fry need to be fed bbs a couple of times a day and the adults would surely try to gobble up as much as they could. It's best to keep the fry in their own tank.

And yes, I've noticed that my females spots are different from the males, just as it is discussed in the link you provided. :)

Could you post the link to where they are using my pic??

Nor_Cal_Cuber

Got 5 Sexies and a small anemone and a bit more live rock fresh water change and the sexies are happy. Two of them have hosted in the anemone already. Pics to follow after I put the kids to bed.

Got 5 Sexies and a small anemone and a bit more live rock fresh water change and the sexies are happy. Two of them have hosted in the anemone already. Pics to follow after I put the kids to bed.

Congrats on getting sexies!!

But what kind of anemone and what size tank is it in...?

Nor_Cal_Cuber
Congrats on getting sexies!!

But what kind of anemone and what size tank is it in...?

Small 2" Long tentacle, kinda white with green tips. 5 gallon Odyssea with good filtration, extra power head and additional lighting although it kept many corals alive with the stock lighting which is much like the aqua pod.

Edited by Nor_Cal_Cuber
Hey J,

It is suggested that you remove the adult female sexy from the fry tank, as I am sure they would eat the little guys. Plus, the fry need to be fed bbs a couple of times a day and the adults would surely try to gobble up as much as they could. It's best to keep the fry in their own tank.

And yes, I've noticed that my females spots are different from the males, just as it is discussed in the link you provided. :)

Could you post the link to where they are using my pic??

Thanks Lalani, and there you go. Here's the link. :happy:

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3396

I hope you will not blame the person for using your pics instead proud that someone uses it. :P

Nor_Cal_Cuber
Can you post a picture of it? And what size tank is it in?

5 gallon Odyssea with upgraded lighting, filtration, and an additional power head.

Sorry Blackberry pic, cord to my cam is at my office.

anomone.jpg

Nor_Cal_Cuber, I can't really tell from the pic what kind of nem it is.... but I'm 90% sure that it should not be in a small tank. It's going to grow too large, and sting other corals. Plus, they require high lighting (metal halide really) and regular feedings that would dirty up the water is such a small tank. You're best bet would be to return the anemone to the LFS.

Nor_Cal_Cuber
Nor_Cal_Cuber, I can't really tell from the pic what kind of nem it is.... but I'm 90% sure that it should not be in a small tank. It's going to grow too large, and sting other corals. Plus, they require high lighting (metal halide really) and regular feedings that would dirty up the water is such a small tank. You're best bet would be to return the anemone to the LFS.

I do have strong lighting for a 5g, (2) 18w cf bulbs, day and black light type, as well as a Rio Sun 10 LED right above the anemone. I feed it krill with tweezers and I will move it when it grows to much or when I get my 25-34g setup. What do you think? Still a BAD idea? The shrimp LOVE it. They really bring sexy back on the anemone.

Just bought them some more live rock today.

I do have strong lighting for a 5g, (2) 18w cf bulbs, day and black light type, as well as a Rio Sun 10 LED right above the anemone. I feed it krill with tweezers and I will move it when it grows to much or when I get my 25-34g setup. What do you think? Still a BAD idea? The shrimp LOVE it. They really bring sexy back on the anemone.

Just bought them some more live rock today.

Ok so yes the anemone needs to be removed NOW. Not when it gets bigger or you set up a new tank. NOW!! 18w is not a lot of light for a 5 gallon tank, its what I have over my 2.5g tank and I only consider it adequate. So yes it is still a bad idea. If you really want an anemone for your sexies consider getting one that stays small such as a mini-mini carpet if you can find one or even a small flower anemone. OR you could just get some xenia or a frag of kenya tree which they adore just as much as a nem.

Nor_Cal_Cuber
Ok so yes the anemone needs to be removed NOW. Not when it gets bigger or you set up a new tank. NOW!! 18w is not a lot of light for a 5 gallon tank, its what I have over my 2.5g tank and I only consider it adequate. So yes it is still a bad idea. If you really want an anemone for your sexies consider getting one that stays small such as a mini-mini carpet if you can find one or even a small flower anemone. OR you could just get some xenia or a frag of kenya tree which they adore just as much as a nem.

So it's going to die in there? If so then I will take it out and get some corals that look like an anemone.

So it's going to die in there? If so then I will take it out and get some corals that look like an anemone.

Yes, please return the anemone to the LFS. You definitely don't have the correct lighting or setup for one. 18 watts of CF light over a 5gal tank is considering LOW light, so choose corals that don't require much lighting.

Yes it is highly likely that it will die in there, especially since it is of the unkown variety. Replacing it with corals is a good idea.