Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Has anyone ever ordered sexies or anything else from fish.com?

I hadn't heard of them until I ran across it tonight. They are the first company that I have found that has sexies in stock. My LFS has been trying to get them in for me for weeks now. I even went to Gerber's SW warehouse in Dayton, OH saturday hoping to get them, but they had sold the 2 they had during the week. I am amazed at how hard it is to find these guys. If anyone knows of a place to get them reliably, please let me know.

Thanks!

I ordered from Reefs2Go.com. They came very well packaged including some gear for acclimation and heat. I ordered five. I've seen a total of four out at once since I put them in my BC8 five days ago. I'm sure the fifth is hiding somewhere. I just hope they are getting something to eat. I have one small black clownfish in with them. He seems to snap up most of the sinking pellets and freeze dried mysis before they hit the sand. Should I be concerned?

Edited by RG Rude
RGR, as long as you see that the sexies get each a piece, they should be fine. :)

And congrats on your new sexies!

That's the problem. I don't. The piggy clown is snapping up the majority of the pellets and all of the freeze dried mysis. I was wondering if a feeding of pellets after the lights are out would work.

Sexies, or at least mine, tend not to stray far from their host during the night, so I would be afraid of that food just sitting in there and funking up the water. Have you tried spot-feeding them? el fab provided information and pics on feeding sexies, check the first post of the thread if you haven't already. :)

Does anyone have any experience housing Sexy Shrimp with Flaming Prawn Gobies? I have a six gallon nano that is currently housing a pair of Flaming Prawn Gobies. They are very cool little fish (1 1/2") and I was thinking of adding a group of Sexies in with them. They are pretty fiesty but I think they would leave the shrimp alone. I am more worried about the shrimp harassing the gobies. Any experience out there before I dive in to this? The tank has a small amount of LR with about a 1" sandbed and is planted with some macro algae, I have a few pieces of coral frags, mushrooms and some LPS, a few small feather dusters. The tank is plumbed in to the sump of my display tank and sits on my desk.

Thanks for the help!

Bob

Marietta, GA

I have 3 of these in my 14G biocube and for the most part they're great but.... does anyone else find that they pester the heck out of zoos? I just put 3 new zoo frags in and at first everything was fine but now the sexies are always on the zoos and they won't open anymore
No but they pester my poor bta :angry:
Does anyone have any experience housing Sexy Shrimp with Flaming Prawn Gobies? I have a six gallon nano that is currently housing a pair of Flaming Prawn Gobies. They are very cool little fish (1 1/2") and I was thinking of adding a group of Sexies in with them. They are pretty fiesty but I think they would leave the shrimp alone. I am more worried about the shrimp harassing the gobies. Any experience out there before I dive in to this? The tank has a small amount of LR with about a 1" sandbed and is planted with some macro algae, I have a few pieces of coral frags, mushrooms and some LPS, a few small feather dusters. The tank is plumbed in to the sump of my display tank and sits on my desk.

Thanks for the help!

Bob

Marietta, GA

:welcome: to NR.com!

I have no experience with keeping flaming prawn gobies, but I've never heard of any issue with keeping them with sexies. If someone else knows, I'm sure they'll speak up. :)

:welcome: to NR.com!

I have no experience with keeping flaming prawn gobies, but I've never heard of any issue with keeping them with sexies. If someone else knows, I'm sure they'll speak up. :)

Thanks! Based on all the research I could do, I think that this will work out. I'm thinking of adding a group of five shrimps to this size tank. Does that sound like it will work?

Bob

Nor_Cal_Cuber

How bad is a Golden Wrasse with my Sexies, he has been there with them for 3 weeks and basically they stay close to their anemone during the day and cruise the tank when the attenic and leds are on. He doesn't bother them and I haven't lost one. I read they are bad for ornamental shrimp but this one seems not to care about them. (7 Sexies in BC8)

Welllllll, it's good that the yellow wrasse hasn't bothered the sexies, but they aren't exactly reef safe, and as you said, are known to eat ornamental shrimp...... That means, sooner or later, he'll probably want to take a bite. Also, a BC8 is a small tank to house a yellow wrasse, do you plan on moving him to a larger tank?

Can someone give me step by step directions for acclamation of sexy's? I just ordered three and they will be here Wednesday, and I want to make their transition from bag to tank as simple as possible.

BTW, this thread is HUGE! I have been reading it for hours now, and still haven't gotten half way through it!

Well, I guess I am officially in the club! :D

I added my first two sexies to my six gallon nano with the pair of Flaming Prawn Gobies. I may be the first one in this club to have sexy shrimp that are bigger then the fish they are housed with! (gives you some idea as to how small these gobies actually are!) I'll take some pics tomorrow when the lights are on. As for acclimation, I bought these two locally so I went through the same process I always use for introducing inverts. I flloated the bag in the sump for about 30mins to temp acclimate the bag. Then I open the bag and pour off about 2/3rds of the store water. I put the remaining water in a small container and very slowly drip the tank water in to the container. When it is about 2/3rds filled, I empty out 1/3rd and start the drip again. Then I do the same one more time. The whole process takes about one hour. Then I check the pH, salinity and the temp of the tank and the container. (oh yeah, I check the stores water for ph, salinity and temp before I start), and so long as they are the same, I gently pour off all almost all of the water in my container and then I slowly dip the container in the tank and let the shrimp come out on their own. I turn the lights on the tank out (just leave moonlights on) to reduce the stress when I realease them in to the tank. When I first put them in, the went to the highest pieces of caulepra and sat there displaying. Right now, after about 20mins, I can see both shrimp exploring the rocks and corals. i would like to add 3 more to the tank eventually. Is there any problem adding new sexies to an established tank with two already in there?

Thanks!

Bob

Nor_Cal_Cuber
Welllllll, it's good that the yellow wrasse hasn't bothered the sexies, but they aren't exactly reef safe, and as you said, are known to eat ornamental shrimp...... That means, sooner or later, he'll probably want to take a bite. Also, a BC8 is a small tank to house a yellow wrasse, do you plan on moving him to a larger tank?

I took that little sand swimmer out, took all but a 1/4" of sand out to wrangel him. Haven't seen my Firefish in 24 hours but the sexies are happier. Now I ordered 6 more to add to my 7.

I took some quick video of my sexy shrimp with the Flaming Prawn Gobies this morning. The video is not great quality but you can see how small these fish really are compared to the sexies in the tank with them. So far them seem to be ignoring each other which is good!

Bob

Ha! LMAO. They are pretty cool little fish. Mine are usually out quite a bit. I've heard others say that they never see the ones in thier tank but these two are pretty active. I think with the addition of the sexies that this will be a really nice tank!

BZ

will an emerald crab kill a sexy shrimp? i am assuming the answer is yes, but is it known you cant have an emerald and a sexy together?

Umm, I don't see any reason why an emerald would kill a sexy. I have a red mithrax in my sexy tank and they get along just fine.

OK. So I am hooked. These shrimp are way too cool! Here is alittle better clip of my new sexies. The Spikefin Goby came to check him out and decided no big deal! So my worries about keeping them together seem to have been very nothing.

New vid clip:

Enjoy!

Bob

Umm, I don't see any reason why an emerald would kill a sexy. I have a red mithrax in my sexy tank and they get along just fine.

i am assuming my emerald killed it. it was pretty small when i purchased and since about the 2nd day i had it havent seen since. from all the pics they dont look like they would hid that often....maybe i should get a bigger one.....

I just picked up three more sexies to add to the six gallon nano with my first two. Hopefully, they will all get along. The first two seem to be doing really well. These new ones are much smaller than the first two (and I didn't think that was possible)... any hints or tips on the best way to introduce the new ones to the established tank? I always turn off the light when adding new fish or inverts to keep the stress levels low. Anything else I should consider? thanks

Bob