Top Shelf Aquatics

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

I am now a official member of the Sexy Club!

Yay! :welcome:

The main difference can be seen in their tails. Females will have a larger, wider, tail and the largest band of white is disconnected.. while the males have smaller, skinnier, tails in which the largest band of white is solid.

Really? It's that easy?? :o

MY SEXY TANK IS HEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

i have been wanting these bad boys forever. got a sick deal on a nano wave 9

Wanted to ask you all few questions.

How many should I add? was thinking 5ish

Also, what is a great cool little fish to keep in tank with them? Neat goby ????

ideas

thanks

Yay! It's a 9gal. AIO, right? You could probably keep 10-15 in there comfortably, if $$$ wasn't an issue. :P

I'm a big fan of yellow clown gobies. Great personality, bright yellow, and not shy at all.

Yay! It's a 9gal. AIO, right? You could probably keep 10-15 in there comfortably, if $$$ wasn't an issue. :P

I'm a big fan of yellow clown gobies. Great personality, bright yellow, and not shy at all.

maybe 7 shrimp tops!

I was thinking of yellow clown goby but not sure!

It is an AIO so should be great

thanks and keep you posted!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you have all girls too, Weets! :o

Holey Moley!

Well mebbe it'll balance out all the testosterone in my house-- I have 2 lil boys, hubby of course, boy dog, boy bird, clownfish is prolly a boy too with my luck...

weet - add a few more this way testosterone rules your fish tank? :P With your luck, they will be all boys ;)

Anyways, I have a question about feeding. Currently, I have formula one small pellets, formula one flakes, and some baby brine shrimp just for special occasions :P I was told by the person who sold it to me to just put in a few pellets and a flake each day (flake is more for green banded goby then for the sexies). How many pellets should I be adding each time I feed? (I only need to feed once a day, right?) Also, I tried target feeding them, with everything from brine shrimp to pellets to flakes, and they want nothing of it. They just scurry away from the forceps each time I try. So, how do I know if they are getting enough to eat then?

Last thing, I tried looking for the omega one shrimp pellets that fab was talking about, and i tried 3 LFS's, all coming up with a miss. Is that stuff still sold? if so, would it be better thn the small pellets I have now?

Hey Shack, sexies are generally a little wary when you first try to present food to them, but after a while they will get used to whatever tools you use. Just slowly move the food toward them, and avoid any quick movements. If that doesn't work, just drop a couple of pellets in their general vicinity and they should find it. One pellet for each sexy, if the pellets are small, and once a day should be fine. Depends on how big their appetites are!

Hey Shack, sexies are generally a little wary when you first try to present food to them, but after a while they will get used to whatever tools you use. Just slowly move the food toward them, and avoid any quick movements. If that doesn't work, just drop a couple of pellets in their general vicinity and they should find it. One pellet for each sexy, if the pellets are small, and once a day should be fine. Depends on how big their appetites are!

They have huge appetites tbh. I even saw 2 of the sexies fighting with the goby for his flakes! lol. Anyways, I found something very interesting that I did not expect from sexies. I did not realize that sexies were omnivores, as I had two of them eating away at the algae at the bottom of the tank :o Of course, the accumulationg of algae was a result of me slightly overfeeding the sexies, just to ensure they are well fed :P I am getting a few more snails this saturday to try and clean up the tank a bit of algae :o Just making sure, algae isn't harmful at all towards sexies? It just appears to be an alternate food source for them :P

Other than that, all the sexies are quite happy, and hosting mainly in my zooanthid and chaeto :P

MSmusicstudios

I have been reading this thread for a long time, and it inspired me to add some sexy shrimp. So on Wed. I acclimated my 5 sexy shrimp to their new home my CADlights 12. They have been a great addition to the tank, and so fun to watch. I was shocked to see that they ate right away after only being in the tank for 24 hours. I already have 3 hanging out in the frogspawn, and the other two really seem to like one of my leathers.

Thanks for the great thread and the inspiration to do something new!

pygmy angel harem

Do you all think I can have ss in this NC6 with sps frags on this rack? Will the ss climb all over the sps? The rack will be a few inches above the liverock. I don't have any experience with sps, but don't want anything perching too much on my most delicate corals.

finishrack007.jpg

Do you all think I can have ss in this NC6 with sps frags on this rack? Will the ss climb all over the sps? The rack will be a few inches above the liverock. I don't have any experience with sps, but don't want anything perching too much on my most delicate corals.

finishrack007.jpg

Let me put it this way. If there is anyway possible for them to climb up to it (other than the glass of the tank) they will climb up there. As an example, one of my sexies made it to the lid of my tank today by climbing up the tubing of my fulter. So, as long as there is no walkable way up, you will be fine.

i want some!!!

Then get some! They are so awesome ;) Just dont put it in the same tank as your mantis, I hear they dont get along well lmao :P

Sexies swim too. ;)

Haha, mine are too lazy to swim, at least upwards anyways. Their swimming in my tank is more of a bouncing motion between the rocks, and that usually only happens when there is a little fight between them :P

first let me say that i love sexies! :wub:

but i have a quick question: i just acclimated 3 sexies to my 25 gallon tank. they're doing great! they're already eating and looks like they're gonna hang out in my duncan at night. but for some reason my zoas are staying closed during the day. the sexies like to hang out on them but close up as soon as they are touched... is this normal? the only reason i ask is cuz at the LFS they had a large colony of zoas that the shrimp would hang out on all day that stayed open regardless of the sexies... ???

Hi Kate, it's normal! The corals simply aren't used to being walked on. My zoas would close up at first too, but after a while they adjusted and stay open when the sexies stand on them. :)