inTank Media Baskets

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Justin_Freebords

i know a lot of you dont agree with this but i felt id share my experience with these guys. I loved them when i first got them and i still do they are the funniest little things in my tank. I have a 5.5 gallon and i feed my sexys every single day because they are little ###### disterbers. I have a micromussa in my tank and needless to say the thing has been through hell and back because of the sexy shrimp. I always wondered how i can tell if they are eating off the coral or the coral itself. Well i recently saw the sexy shrimp taking pieces off the coral so now i know. I know many are reef safe when fed but apparently mine are too stupid to eat. I feed them like i said every day pellet and flake depending on how im feeling that day. Unfortunatly i have to feed my duncan, ricordia, snails, bristleworms and other critters in the tank because the sexy shrimp are too stupid to eat. I have 3, each gets a pellet. The routine is one will not eat one will run onto my duncan to eat and the duncan will munch it, or it will go on the ricordia and lose that battle. Also one usually ends up getting stolen by a snail or bristleworm. I then go to feed them again and they refuse to take the food and 5-8 pellets later one sexy has eaten and the rest dont. They then continue to pick at my micro.

Sorry but im just really pissed because all mine seem to do is eat my coral and at first they started with zoas and have since moved on to the more expensive stuff, everytime something new comes they go after that which led to them going to the micro because its the newest.

Thats my feelings on them, they are amazing to watch but damn if you get stupid ones good luck I feed them a lot and often and they just never eat except when its coral

Justin_Freebords

too add, i just finished feeding my tank for the day. I fed my ricordia and every single duncan head. As everything was eating i gave a pellet to each sexy. Right now 1 is eating, one lost its food to a snail, and left the other pellet in the sand that i tried to refeed and a bristle eventually ate it. And finally, my favorite sexy, well lets just say the ricordia is now eating 3 pellets....

Haha, sorry about the troubles. They can be a little aggravating sometimes.. Have you tried any other types of food? I know my sexies have trouble holding on to even the smaller pellets, but they have no problem with bits of thawed krill. Just a thought. :)

mine have some strange behaviour too

they all get on my xenia and have a party,####### the xenia off

but the next day it looks fine

DSCF5225.jpg

got a panda goby to keep everyone in line

DSCF5233.jpg

have to go feed them now,some cyclops and mysis

angelacbishop

I finally get to join the club! I'm getting 3 sexy shrimp for my 5.5 gallon tank tonight. I ordered them from reefs2go.com for only $8.99 apiece. A real steal if you ask me! I'll have pictures once they're acclimated.

Psychosis

I'm setting up a pico specifically for sexies. I went with a mantis in my AIO in stead of 5 of the little guys. I don't really want much in the way of coral for it, but a little color wouldn't hurt. I'm assumeing they don't need coral, like clowns don't need anemones, but would this impact their health at all? Do they appear happier with some coral in the tank?

returnofsid

We just added a small herd (5) of Sexy Shrimp to our 24 Aquapod, yesterday. Here's a pic I was able to get just a bit ago. Sorry it's a bit blurry.

3512159752_e0fc97b728_b.jpg

Here are mine again. BTW Blue Zoo is having a sale on sexy shrimp this week.

1.jpg

IMG_5870.jpg

Edited by uwwmatt

6 sexies on the way!!!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

took advantage of the bluezoo sale. $5 sexies!!

Edited by midna
6 sexies on the way!!!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

took advantage of the bluezoo sale. $5 sexies!!

Do you think 1 per 100G will be enough room for them :happy: .

I'm setting up a pico specifically for sexies. I went with a mantis in my AIO in stead of 5 of the little guys. I don't really want much in the way of coral for it, but a little color wouldn't hurt. I'm assumeing they don't need coral, like clowns don't need anemones, but would this impact their health at all? Do they appear happier with some coral in the tank?

Sexies will do fine without any corals or nems in the tank, imo. The sexies in my 5.5gal have three mini nems to choose from, however, most of the time they are not hosting them.. but instead roaming around the tank, picking at the rocks. :)

Do you think 1 per 100G will be enough room for them :happy: .

Haha, I tried convincing him to get an anemone just for sexies. He's afraid a wrasse will snack on them. They are for my 10g :)

I'll get some pics of my 10g once they arrive.

You can tell the genders apart from the width and spots of the tail. Males are generally smaller, with a skinny tail, while females are larger, have a wider tail, and disconnected white band. Here's a pic comparing the two (male on left, female on right):

IMG_7037.jpg

Goofball310

Thanks Lalani! I have a sexy back home and will check after work.

I hope it's a boy cause I've been calling it Justin aka Justin Timberlake cause of the song "Sexy Back."

Corny, I know. :blush:

kamikaze_fish

So the female has a bigger booty.

Every time I look at this thread I get a tiny bit closer to getting some sexy. I just might have to go ahead and take the plunge.

Goofball310

Every time I look at this thread I get a tiny bit closer to getting some sexy. I just might have to go ahead and take the plunge.

might as well do it now while bluezooaquatics is selling them for $5.

hudson2212

I am considering get a few for a couple of smaller tanks I have, but I am wondering about their compatibility with watchmen gobies. I could not find anywhere if my YWG would be able to take one down or not. He is smaller, but I have to think of the future.

Anybody have any experience?

Thanks Lalani! I have a sexy back home and will check after work.

I hope it's a boy cause I've been calling it Justin aka Justin Timberlake cause of the song "Sexy Back."

Corny, I know. :blush:

:lol:

DO EET... just remember to feed them!

I am considering get a few for a couple of smaller tanks I have, but I am wondering about their compatibility with watchmen gobies. I could not find anywhere if my YWG would be able to take one down or not. He is smaller, but I have to think of the future.

Anybody have any experience?

Hrm.... I've heard of a couple of instances of YWGs eating cleaner shrimp.... so I would be wary to keep sexies with one.