Coral Vue Hydros

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

clownfish617

this thread is awesome!!

well now that im hooked on sexies i want to make a tank ( 2.5 mini bow ) for them.

i would like about 5, would that be good?

also i really like the harley shrimp.

would they both work together?

3-5 sexies

2 harliquins?

ps. i do know about feeding, i have a 20h that i could use for keeping star fish :)

5 sexies would be a great number for a 2.5gal tank. :)

I'd have second thoughts on keeping harlies in it though. The food (starfish) could foul the water in that small a tank very quickly.

clownfish617
5 sexies would be a great number for a 2.5gal tank. :)

I'd have second thoughts on keeping harlies in it though. The food (starfish) could foul the water in that small a tank very quickly.

ok thats cool, i would rather have the sexies anyway!

Oh yeah. Im in college right now so i don't have any money. I'm surprised i even had enough to set up a pico. I should be getting two more this week. I was thinking maybe 5 max but i don't know yet

clownfish617

hello again :)

instead of a 2.5g i just found a 6.6g bookshelf ( petco ) i bought a lone time ago, its like 24" l 6in h and 6inch deep.

i was hoping on setting this up for 10-15 sexies? i really want to do this

it will only have mushies zoas and maybe my toadstool.

the only fish may be a YCG

i need to get a camera if i set this up!

hey everyone! i'm new to this site. I already have a established 75G Reef Aquarium and I'm setting up a small aquarium for sexies. I'm thinking of setting up a 2.5G or a 5G for 8 sexies and I was wondering if the 2.5G would be good enough for 8. I'm thinking of putting about 4 pounds of live rock in the 2.5G with some live sand, and keep a few mushrooms, GSP, xenia and perhaps some frags of duncan coral as well. So lalani, would you suggest a 2.5G or a 5G?

also, i'm thinking of using a 28W 24" PC for my light.. and using 2 aquaclear mini filters, would i need a protein skimmer? I will be keeping 8 sexy shrimps and maybe 1 clown goby, and that will be it.

hey everyone! i'm new to this site. I already have a established 75G Reef Aquarium and I'm setting up a small aquarium for sexies. I'm thinking of setting up a 2.5G or a 5G for 8 sexies and I was wondering if the 2.5G would be good enough for 8. I'm thinking of putting about 4 pounds of live rock in the 2.5G with some live sand, and keep a few mushrooms, GSP, xenia and perhaps some frags of duncan coral as well. So lalani, would you suggest a 2.5G or a 5G?

:welcome:

8 sexies should do fine in a 2.5 gal. 5 gallons would give you more room for corals and maybe some other inverts if you wanted, but that's up to your preference.

also, i'm thinking of using a 28W 24" PC for my light.. and using 2 aquaclear mini filters, would i need a protein skimmer? I will be keeping 8 sexy shrimps and maybe 1 clown goby, and that will be it.

There's no need for a skimmer. :)

Just keep on top of your water changes!

Edited by Lalani
pygmy angel harem

I've been reading this thread (up to page 19). Has anybody had a Haitian Reef Anemone in a small tank? I have an NC6. This would seem ideal for sexies.

thanks lalani!

so yeah, i went to pick up a 2.5G yesterday along with a heater suitable for a 2.5G and i used live sand, live rock and water from a 10G establishd aquarium I was previously running. The cycle only lasted a few hours and today I went to pick up the 8 sexy shrimp, just put them in an hour ago and they are doing well so far. what kind of food can I be feeding them? i know some of you suggested shrimp pellets, but I'm going to resort to that a little bit down the road, just been spending too much on fish lately with my 75G reef as well. Can i get away with feeding with ocean nutrion flakes and mysis shrimp for while? one feeding per 2 days good? thanks guys

They eat pretty much anything. Mine eat flake mostly. :)

Feeding once every other day would be fine, if that's what keeps them happy, but if they start munching on corals feed them more often.

Justin_Freebords

yeah feed them once a day to be safe. I got lazy and i often found them picking around on my micromussa, and other corals. They seem to only eat the most expensive thing in the tank though. At first it was my favorite zoas, then i got my duncan and they went after that, then i got my micro and they went after that, then i found them on a frag rack up high going after my chalice. Keep them fed or they will hunt

thanks lalani!

so yeah, i went to pick up a 2.5G yesterday along with a heater suitable for a 2.5G and i used live sand, live rock and water from a 10G establishd aquarium I was previously running. The cycle only lasted a few hours and today I went to pick up the 8 sexy shrimp, just put them in an hour ago and they are doing well so far. what kind of food can I be feeding them? i know some of you suggested shrimp pellets, but I'm going to resort to that a little bit down the road, just been spending too much on fish lately with my 75G reef as well. Can i get away with feeding with ocean nutrion flakes and mysis shrimp for while? one feeding per 2 days good? thanks guys

Mine are flake eaters, but they like the good stuff. 4/5 of my sexies eat formula one flakes, 1.5 of them eat formula one marine pellets, and 5/5 love to munch of the chaeto in the tank. Think of it this way, throwing a little chaeto in there gives the sexies soemthing to much on other than zoas (so far mine have just really been eating the algae off my zoas), and keeps your water in check better :). But anyways, basically anything you feed them, they should eat ;). I would also feed them once a day, I feed them at night at about 10 p.m. This gives them about 15 minutes to eat in the light, and awhile to eat in the dark. From my experience, they tend to each much more in the dark, and are even more active in the dark in my tank ;)

how much do sexies usually cost?

Then get some! They are so awesome ;) Just dont put it in the same tank as your mantis, I hear they dont get along well lmao :P

i dont have a mantis..... :huh:

how much do sexies usually cost?

Depends. LiveAquaria usually sells them for $10, but will sometimes put them on sale for $5. LFSs are all different, between $5 and $25.

How ginormous is your sig going to get? :P