SaltCritters.com

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Nor_Cal_Cuber

$10 a sexy is robbery. I pay at the most $8.99 at the rip off pet store. The other two in my town sell them for $6.99. Most of the time they give me one for free when buying corals and what not. Great to watch though. I'm going to try and get more then 5 in a nice close up.

Good to know on the bristle worms, thanx Lalani.

Edited by Nor_Cal_Cuber
Nor_Cal_Cuber
Heh, you think $10 is bad? $25 at my LFS. ;)

Jeez! Even at the snob shop in the city they are less then $10, guess the CA coast helps shipping costs??? I feel lucky.

It's funny how pricing varies so much in this hobby, I saw a juvenile emperor angle for $69 at one store and $29 at another on the same day.

In what way is the social interaction between these guys different when they're in a group of 5 rather than a group of 3?

I know they do better in groups of odd numbers, but how does a larger amount of them together affect things?

Also, I'm having someone ship me some Sexies, do you have any tips on the best way to ship these guys?

Hmmm, I've noticed that my sexies are more active and tend to explore the tank more now that there are 5 of them, as opposed to three (and before then 2). The more there are, the more comfortable they feel and I've even noticed that they sometimes split into two groups.. three and two.

I've had sexies shipped to me twice and have only seen them all placed together in a bag of water, no special precautions. I'm sure you couple probably use smaller bags and put one shrimp in each, but not sure if that would be safer or not..

When are you getting them? :)

Hmmm, I've noticed that my sexies are more active and tend to explore the tank more now that there are 5 of them, as opposed to three (and before then 2). The more there are, the more comfortable they feel and I've even noticed that they sometimes split into two groups.. three and two.

I've had sexies shipped to me twice and have only seen them all placed together in a bag of water, no special precautions. I'm sure you couple probably use smaller bags and put one shrimp in each, but not sure if that would be safer or not..

When are you getting them? :)

I should have them in approximately 1 week.

I still have that one Frogspawn in my 20L tank, it's just walled off in the corner, and I was planning on putting them in there.

I have the Frogspawn from Mercuryne in there too.

I wouldn't have to worry about them pulling off the tips of that one Frogspawn and spreading them around would I?

I'm just paranoid about that now.

They have to be fed every day to keep them from eating Zoa skirts, right?

Oh wait, I have a nice Acan in there and I think someone posted a couple of pages back about Sexies eating their Acan. :scarry:

What to do, what to do...

Geez, no need to fuss me on the other thread. I'm at work you know. :P

I don't think you would have to worry about the sexies doing that with the frogspawn. They usually stay on the branches and not on the actual tentacles.

Feeding frequency depends on the shrimp. I feed once a day and that seems to be enough to keep them happy. Every once in a while I'll see one edging towards the zoas anyway and I feed again, but not often. Even if they do pick at the zoas, the zoas heal up really fast.

And I'm not sure about the acans. That was the only incidence I've heard of them picking at acans. :eek:

coralcor- They do kinda look like aps. :(

Geez, no need to fuss me on the other thread. I'm at work you know. :P

Sure, sure, I just figured that if you were able to take time out of your busy workday to post on the thread whose sole topic is The Glory That is LALANI, you might also have a few mins to answer a couple of questions that are of the utmost concern for moi.

Many pardons, pls don't make me walk the plank. :scarry:

I don't think you would have to worry about the sexies doing that with the frogspawn. They usually stay on the branches and not on the actual tentacles.

Feeding frequency depends on the shrimp. I feed once a day and that seems to be enough to keep them happy. Every once in a while I'll see one edging towards the zoas anyway and I feed again, but not often. Even if they do pick at the zoas, the zoas heal up really fast.

And I'm not sure about the acans. That was the only incidence I've heard of them picking at acans. :eek:

I dunno, my Fropspawns inflate so much that I don't think it's possible for them to hang out on the branches without also getting some tentacle action.

I'd hate to be "only" the second time you've heard about Sexies eating Acans.

I'll ponder that one...

Many pardons, pls don't make me walk the plank. :scarry:

Youz a goofy chika. :)

I dunno, my Fropspawns inflate so much that I don't think it's possible for them to hang out on the branches without also getting some tentacle action.

I'd hate to be "only" the second time you've heard about Sexies eating Acans.

I'll ponder that one...

Well I've never seen sexies on the actual tentacles of a froggie or hammer, so that's why I'm pretty sure they won't.. not 100% positive though..

I'll see if I can find anything about sexies and acans. :flower:

Untitled.png

is that aptasia

Yes.. Yes it is.. LOL :blush: It was hit with kalk and Joes Juice last night.

Muahahahaha die evil aptasia! Poof no more.

Edited by Growerguy

All right, I need a few. It's official. Not now, but I have big plans for the future. I'll be back one day. You don't have to remember my name or any thing, but I'll be back, oh yes.

Sexy shrimp and dwarf sea horses?

Can these two be kept together because I just bought a nano wave 9 for this project!

any advice appreciated!

cant wait to get my sexy shrimp

sexies and pom pom crabs, do they get along?

Yup!

Sexy shrimp and dwarf sea horses?

Can these two be kept together because I just bought a nano wave 9 for this project!

any advice appreciated!

cant wait to get my sexy shrimp

Hmmmmmm, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't get along, but I've never seen a tank with that combo.

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible thread- thanks so much for starting it Lalani!!! I've been looking for good info on sexies before I add any to the minibow and this helped alot! I can't wait to get em now! :D

I am now a official member of the Sexy Club!

IMG_0895.jpg

Do I have to worry about them with my carpets? I am trying to get the carpets to move on to rubble so I can get them out of the tank.

Edited by BibleSue
Incredible thread- thanks so much for starting it Lalani!!! I've been looking for good info on sexies before I add any to the minibow and this helped alot! I can't wait to get em now! :D

Thanks! Glad people find this thread helpful. :)

I am now a official member of the Sexy Club!

Do I have to worry about them with my carpets? I am trying to get the carpets to move on to rubble so I can get them out of the tank.

YAY!! Looks like two healthy females in that pic!

The sexies won't bother the carpets at all, as far as I know. Here is one of my new sexies already hosting one of the freshly split minis:

IMG_2569.jpg

That is good to see. I was afraid the carpet would eat the shrimp! It sure likes them frozen.

How can you tell male from female? The 3rd one went under the ledge & I didn't get a good picture of it.

The two in your pic are female and the one in the pic I just posted is male. The main difference can be seen in their tails. Females will have a larger, wider, tail and the largest band of white is disconnected.. while the males have smaller, skinnier, tails in which the largest band of white is solid.