SaltCritters.com

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Needa bit of advise. After two hours of lookin I finally located all three of the new shrimp. You guessed it, in the back of the tank. So I decided to try to temp them into coming out. I fed the tank and blew a little brine shrimp aorund them. Notta. The just shook their little tails at me and said NO NO! So is this just a wait and they will come thing or do I hafta buy them a drink and get to know them first?

Thanks

Give them another day, they should start eating tomorrow.

Keep in mind that YCGs may fight each other.

5 sexies in a 10gal tank would work really well, you could even add a few more if you wanted. I had 5 in my 5.5gal. ;)

Thanks Lalani! I looked up info on clown gobies and realized that two of them together would not work. The sexies just seem awesome to me as long as there isn't a lot of coral munching.

Wow clown gobies and sexies together in a reef tank is similar to Homer and Chief Wiggum in a dunkin donuts

I may have to rethink this stocking considering I plan to have beautiful corals.

Should I worry about coral munching?

First time I have seen them up close, tiny little things huh?

Pretty tho. :)

Ya! :)

Give them another day, they should start eating tomorrow.

+1

Should I worry about coral munching?

Umm, yes. There is maybe a.... ~75% chance that any sexies you buy will munch on corals if they aren't kept well fed... and a chance that they will munch on them even if you feed them often.

I have mine in a species only tank, containing sexies and mini nems so there isn't any temptation for them.

If you plan on keeping some really nice/expensive corals, rethink the sexies.

Needreefunds

Are there certain corals they seem to go after, or is anything fair game?

The tank only has a Porites, minis and macros.......but I do love the Porites and would hate to see it NOMed upon.

I suppose that rock could come out if need be, but I'd rather not. lol.

Thoughts? :huh:

Are there certain corals they seem to go after, or is anything fair game?

The tank only has a Porites, minis and macros.......but I do love the Porites and would hate to see it NOMed upon.

I suppose that rock could come out if need be, but I'd rather not. lol.

Thoughts? :huh:

I think they'd probably be fine in that tank.

They left my mushrooms alone.

They've been known to munch zoa skirts if hungry, but for the last couple of months mine didn't do that.

I've heard of them munching Acans and Micro's, but never gave mine the chance.

BibleSue had hers in a tank with a variety of softies and never had a problem with them.

Just make sure they eat every day.

What she said!

I had some porites in the same tank with the sexies and they left them alone. They really like zoa skirts.

Well mine came out today. I dosed a little vodka and they perked right up. JJ. That one is just for you NRF. I need to figure out a better food delivery system. They dont like my fingers at all. They remind me of the little green martians on Toy Story. EEEWWWWWWWW. AARGGGGGHHH. RRUUUUUNNNN!!! But none of my zoas or palys have been touched so thats a very positive thing. Any chance they may munch on aptasia? I've got a few very small ones.

Project7Studios

Add frogspawn to the corals they will eat.

Its REALLY ####### me off. Because of them, they postponed the split of one of the heads, almost killing the branch.

Mine get fed pellets during the day and then at night, they mount the head of the frogspawn that they host under and just munch away! Ill shoo them off when the tweezers, but they will go right back to it as if I wasnt even there.

Ive had to move the frogspawn a few times around the tank to confuse them, but once they figure it out; which takes a week or so, they go right back to eating it.

I am very ready to sell my two sexies to someone local (also my cleaner, he doesnt do anything but trample over coral and steal food from them) and just stick to a reef only tank with two clowns.

ARGGGHHHHHH SO PISSED!!!

Project7Studios
Where are you located?

Dallas, Texas. I hope I fixed it correctly on my profile signature. I didnt realize I didnt have it already on there.

what else do sexies eat?

i havn't noticed it eating any of my corals, i just got frags trying to grow in the tank right now

but i do notice scampi crawling on my rocks and sand, looks like he's eating something, but i think for the most part he leaves all my coral alone....do they have voracious appetites? i usually just feed 1 flake every 2 days

I'm going to sift through the 52 pages and look, but is there any places to get Sexy's in Canada? I've found one shop but they're backordered.

I know that a pico is ideal but I was thinking of putting 3-4 of them in my 15G. There will be no crabs (maybe one decorative). Thoughts?

mine's gone missing for two days in a 3g...i can't find him at all when i move arond the rock work...is he hiding and molting? does anyone's sexies disappear for long periods of time?

other than a hermit crab and snails, he's the only thing in my tank that can move

I'm going to sift through the 52 pages and look, but is there any places to get Sexy's in Canada? I've found one shop but they're backordered.

I know that a pico is ideal but I was thinking of putting 3-4 of them in my 15G. There will be no crabs (maybe one decorative). Thoughts?

which city do you live in canada. if you live in toronto, you can get sexies from big al's at vaughan.

they're selling them for 14.99 each, but I got them on sale for 9.99 each.

so my cycle is almost over and thinking of ordering some sexy shrimp soon! how many do you guys think would be okay for a 10 gallon?

also will they get along with all the tankmates? i plan on having a tailspot blenny and citrinus clown goby for fish and then some snails and hermits for CUC. also i have a wad of chaeto in the corner of my tank, will they munch on it or the feather dusters?

It's not exact, but I would say 1 shrimp per gallon is a good guesstimate.

They should be fine with the tankmates. They may munch on the chaeto, but will leave feather dusters alone.

so should i stick with an odd number like the original post says and go with 9 total? or say start with something small like 5 sexy shrimp and them add more in the future? or is it like a "add all at once" thing?

Hmm, I really don't think they have to be kept in odd numbers. I'll probably amend the first post.

If your tank is stable, there shouldn't be any problem with adding all of them at once. They are tiny.

sweet. thanks :) gonna wait another week or so just to make sure everything is good. i think i killed all the hitchhikers that came with my sealifeinc rocks when the tank leaked :( i'm really surprised my feather dusters in the chaeto clump survived that cluster...

My sexy tank crashed a loooooong time ago. Stealth heater got stuck "off" and the tank was rather cold for two days before I noticed it, everything died. It is stable now with a bunch of snails and a coral banded shrimp in it.

Might upgrade the 10 to a 20L and setup a AIO 5.5 (a design I've been thinking of for a while, that I have never seen) for sexy shrimp.

I miss my sexah shrimps!

I went out of town for 2 weeks and every thing lived :D

it appears that the sexy's have been leaving my zoa's alone,yay

calurpa has pretty much taken over.

I'll get some new pics later