Cultivated Reef

Nick's 24 Gallon Aquapod

Nick's Reef

Nick's Reef
Looking sweet bro!

I've got Xenia growing up the wall too... pretty cool stuff!

sweet pics!

Yea cool xenia, They are by far my favorite soft coral.

Thanks everyone! I have to dissagree with AcroporaLokani, I have to say that ricordea are my favorite soft coral and zoos/palys a close second.

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick's Reef

Well I've decided I want to venture into the world of SPS corals. I get $30 a month for mowing my grandparents lawn plus my weekly allowance. I'm going to save up and get a sunpod and move quiet a bit of my corals around. I got rid of my xenia since it didn't like my tank and am going to let go of some of my other corals to open up some room (most are going to lilredneckman). I also need to get another piece of rock to give me more room.

This leads me to a few questions:

How do i acclimate my corals to 150w of mh

for how long would i be ok w.o./a skimmer with a few pieces of sps

what is the best 2-part dosing system

do i have enough flow

Nick's Reef
I'll take your acans off your hands!

I'm keeping those! I'll probably only get rid of the trumpets, and my big huge yuma (this thing gets way to big anyway).I already gave lilredneckman a zoo rock I had that I couldn't find a place for and some zoos that were getting choked out by two other colonies.

Nick's Reef
What did you use to glue the xenia to the back wall?

Super glue gel. But it was growing onto some macroalgae in my dad's 75 so it was much easier to glue.

Nick's Reef
Xenia never does good in mine either.

The head of the local aquarium club told me that xenia can't handle temps over about 78-79 degrees. My tank runs at 78 at night and 80ish during the day so I think that's what did it in.

The head of the local aquarium club told me that xenia can't handle temps over about 78-79 degrees. My tank runs at 78 at night and 80ish during the day so I think that's what did it in.

I think it's just one of those things that some people have it grow like crazy and some can't keep 1 stalk.

Nick's Reef
I think it's just one of those things that some people have it grow like crazy and some can't keep 1 stalk.

Yep, my dad's grows like a weed. :D

Nick's Reef

I almost completed my acan collection today, I went to a few stores (1 was a toatal bust cause the power was out, we've been having really bad storms lately) and the other had lots of acans. There was a sweet rainbow that had about 15-20 heads but was $125! Which was way to much for me. I have moved alot of corals around so i'll have to get a recent fts sometime soon.

Nick's Reef

Well, yesterday i got bored waiting til' dark and lighting off firecrackers and other stuff so I went to a fish store a little north of me and picked up a nice ric for $7 and almost got a ORA blue neon goby but held off since I'm saving for halides. Today i got some seagel made by seachem since I have this nasty algae on my sand and everytime I scoop new sand over it it grows back. i did my weekly waterchange also so hopefully that will take care of this crap. I will get new pics as soon as the tank looks half way decent since it's really cloudy now and i'm sure the algae will come back.

Nick's Reef

Well the algae came back this morning but not nearly as bad as it used to (probably since I added about 25 more ceriths since my others died off). I also got some Nemastoma macroalgae today at the lfs since my dad needed r/o water and i couldn't pass it up.

Nick's Reef

Well I think i know why I have algae, I use nsw. Not catalina, but the real deal. I plan on swithing to a salt mix sometime soon. I want to use tunze, but I'll have to order it and all my lfss carry instant ocean :scarry: . So hopefully my parents will let me order the tunze stuff from aquariumspecialty.com.

Nick's Reef

Well I finally caught my cleaner shrimp, but it involved taking rocks out and rescaping since the rocks didn't go back the same. i'll hyave pics of the new scape in the next few days. :D

Ocho Cinco
Well I finally caught my cleaner shrimp, but it involved taking rocks out and rescaping since the rocks didn't go back the same. i'll hyave pics of the new scape in the next few days. :D

Why did you take your cleaner shrimp out?

Ocho Cinco
He picked on my duncan and acans.

Do you mean stole food from them? That's the only reason why I don't like mine.

Nick's Reef

Well yesterday I had my hand in the tank to see if the duncan was ready to be fragged (it isn't) and knocked over about three different corals. i had to pick a rock up to find em and had the put the rocks in a different place yet again. Luckily I didn't disturb anything and like them even better. So as promised here are the new pics!!!!! :D

Fts 7/9/08

P5020163.jpg

Nemastoma

P5020165.jpg

I've had this stuff for barely three days and it has grown some alrerady! I'm going to have to watch this stuff so it doesn't choke out any corals, and based on my research on it it doesn't normally go sexual so that is a VERY good thing to know!

Ricordea Garden

P5020167.jpg

Red and White Aussie Lord

P5020168.jpg

Purple n' Green Aussie Lord

P5020170.jpg

Yep, it's not a Micromussa but an Australian Acanthestrea lordhowensis it has fully recovered and just by looking at the polyps you can tell it is deffinatly NOT a Micromussa.

Red Aussie Lord

P5020171.jpg

Duncan

P5020173.jpg

Anyone know of a way to get it to make longer stalks on the new heads faster? My calcium leves are perfect, same w/ alkalinity and magnesium. I have heard they grow faster under high flow and this thing is getting blasted by the korilia 1.

Enjoy! :D

Nick's Reef
Looks good! It looks like you have less rock than before. The rics are looking sweet!!!!

I actually added 2 very small pieces of rock!!!! :o And yes, the rics love their new spot. now i just need a yellow one and a red one. :D

lilredneckman
I actually added 2 very small pieces of rock!!!! :o And yes, the rics love their new spot. now i just need a yellow one and a red one. :D

A red ric? Lol i hope its a yuma..... ;)

Archived