Cultivated Reef

Nick's 24 Gallon Aquapod

Nick's Reef

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the new addition. I was reading your profile the other night and was so sad when I read about your other one passing. Hope your new one finds Ms Yasha soon!

Nick's Reef
Congrats on the new addition. I was reading your profile the other night and was so sad when I read about your other one passing. Hope your new one finds Ms Yasha soon!

We'll as of last night he hasn't so hopefully he'll get hungery and come out and find her.

Nick's Reef

UPDATE!!!!!

Well Ihad had slacked of my water changes for atleast two weeks and was begining to get cyano and gha and had lots of diatoms on the sand. I ended up doing a nice three gallon change and siphoning the sand.

As for my male Yasha he's fine and has moved in under the rock anemone. He's hade a nice home but decided that tri-color ricodeas on shells make good doors. (I found two missing this morning and found them by the rock). I haven't seen him out but can see movement under the rock and hope he'll come out and eat soon.

I'll also be going away for two days to fish Mosquito Lagoon tomorrow, but my mom will take care of the tank and hopefull i'll catch some nice reds to show you guys on Thursday! :D

Nick's Reef

Well i'm back from my fishing trip, but I'm bone tired and will post pics tomorrow. I did manage to catch 2 lil' baby reds that were at the most 12", deffinatly not the top of the slot stud i was hoping for but they still were redfish and were some of the prettiest ones I've seen. Lilredneckman caught the first red and we thought it was a baby black drum til' we saw the spot cause they're so silver and had very blue tails (from eatin' carbs n' shrimp) two were caught on live shrimp and one of mine was caught on a d.o.a. 2" shrimp under a popping cork. We also caught 2 trout (mine was the biggest by 4oz. and was caught on a white 5" jerkbait rigged weedless :D ), a couple pesky ladyfish, and a magrove snapper. We missed a bunch of trout, both on plugs and live bait and i had a snook make an awesome topwater strike on a jerkbait in the backcountry where we caught 2 of the reds, ladyfish, and snapper.

We also saw a bunch of manatees and porposies, over all we had a good time except when Mosqito Lagoon lived up to it's name (we got fricken eaten up and had probably 50 skeeters in my dad's truck!)

Nick's Reef

Well sorry for the delay, here are the pics from our trip, photobuck was giving me trouble.

3lbs 7oz. Speckled Trout

P5230229.jpg

Lil' baby Redfish

P5230246.jpg

My 13ft. whaler

P5230254.jpg

This is the place we stayed at

P5230248.jpg

As for my tank, the algae keeps coming back, I think i'm going to drain all the water into a bin, place the rock and fish in it and put the corals in my prop tank. Take most of the sand out and get new sand then mix up some water (I'm done w/ nsw) fill er up and put evereyting back in.

Nick's Reef

Ok, so it's not water, it's from not rinsing my mysis. I'm not taking apart the tanks and cleaning it, just lights out for a few days and a water change.

I'm probably going to downsize the tank to a 10gal for the Yasha (I hadn't seen the male in a week so I lifted the rock up and found nothing, probably died of stress or something like that.) My plan is to section off part of it for pumps and filtration and have a 70w hgi retro for lighting. The reason is that the ap is alot of work and with the prop tank and school starting it's gonna be tough to take care of both tanks and the ten will be much eaiser imo. I will probably keep zoas, a few rics, my acans, duncan, and possibly some easy sps.

Ok, so it's not water, it's from not rinsing my mysis. I'm not taking apart the tanks and cleaning it, just lights out for a few days and a water change.

I'm probably going to downsize the tank to a 10gal for the Yasha (I hadn't seen the male in a week so I lifted the rock up and found nothing, probably died of stress or something like that.) My plan is to section off part of it for pumps and filtration and have a 70w hgi retro for lighting. The reason is that the ap is alot of work and with the prop tank and school starting it's gonna be tough to take care of both tanks and the ten will be much eaiser imo. I will probably keep zoas, a few rics, my acans, duncan, and possibly some easy sps.

I don't see how it would make a big difference. Larger tanks are supposed to be easier anyway. What will you do with your ap?

Nick's Reef
I don't see how it would make a big difference. Larger tanks are supposed to be easier anyway. What will you do with your ap?

It's not how hard it's to keep. It's the amount of maintenece. I'll probably sell the ap.

But, onthe otherhand I may go bigger.

It's not how hard it's to keep. It's the amount of maintenece. I'll probably sell the ap.

But, onthe otherhand I may go bigger.

I would say you could get away with doing a wc every other week in the ap and would have to wc everyweek in the 10 gallon. Go bigger!!!!

I think what your trying to say is that the AP sucks and you want something different.

Theres nothing wrong with the ap.

lilredneckman
Theres nothing wrong with the ap.

LOL. The hinges break, the fans break, and the hood always falls off. I would never buy one.

Nick's Reef
As long as they hold water. Where were you fishing at? Ive never gotten a trout that big in my life!

The north end of Mosquito Lagoon.

LOL. The hinges break, the fans break, and the hood always falls off. I would never buy one.

I hate this tank, the hinges suck, the fans just stop, my hood has fallen behind my dresser dozens of times, the lights suck, the stock pump is a p.o.s., and the actual swimming room is less than 18gals. I'm just fed up with it and don't know what to do, I'd love to get a 60 cube, but I can't afford one. The total would be like $2000 before any livestock including lr. I could probably afford an oceanic cube, but I can't find one at any of the lfs, deathco might have one tho. Basically I'm never going back to an aio as all of them has a flaw, except finnex or cad but those are outrageously expensive.

edit: i do like the solana and rsm, as th are quite good once the skimmer is replaced.

The north end of Mosquito Lagoon.

I hate this tank, the hinges suck, the fans just stop, my hood has fallen behind my dresser dozens of times, the lights suck, the stock pump is a p.o.s., and the actual swimming room is less than 18gals. I'm just fed up with it and don't know what to do, I'd love to get a 60 cube, but I can't afford one. The total would be like $2000 before any livestock including lr. I could probably afford an oceanic cube, but I can't find one at any of the lfs, deathco might have one tho. Basically I'm never going back to an aio as all of them has a flaw, except finnex or cad but those are outrageously expensive.

edit: i do like the solana and rsm, as th are quite good once the skimmer is replaced.

If you get the halide version you don't have to worry about any of that. Mine has been great. All I had to do is replace the stock pump which dosen't cost very much. The swimming room is a little small though.

Nick's Reef
If you get the halide version you don't have to worry about any of that. Mine has been great. All I had to do is replace the stock pump which dosen't cost very much. The swimming room is a little small though.

I did replace the stock pump, and the swimming room is very small to me, I can't get the scape the way I want cause it's so small. Where I'm at now i want a sps and clam only tank, probably barebottom I couldn't have my yasha then tho.

lilredneckman
I did replace the stock pump, and the swimming room is very small to me, I can't get the scape the way I want cause it's so small. Where I'm at now i want a sps and clam only tank, probably barebottom I couldn't have my yasha then tho.

I shall solve your problems.

Get a 5.5g for the yasha. For a light just get a 10w coralife screw in bulb. For filtration, get a small cheap powerhead.

Get something nice the the 30g oceanic, save for a decent skimmer, and MH's. Get a K4 for some circulation. Go bare bottom with clams and SPS. You will love it. You could have your anthias and even a yellow coris wrasse.

You have to pay to play my friend.

I shall solve your problems.

Get a 5.5g for the yasha. For a light just get a 10w coralife screw in bulb. For filtration, get a small cheap powerhead.

Get something nice the the 30g oceanic, save for a decent skimmer, and MH's. Get a K4 for some circulation. Go bare bottom with clams and SPS. You will love it. You could have your anthias and even a yellow coris wrasse.

You have to pay to play my friend.

+1, but that sounds like more work to me! :lol:

lilredneckman
+1, but that sounds like more work to me! :lol:

Meh. He barley does any work on his tank now as it is!!! Wow he buys water siphons it out of the tank and pours the new stuff in. He takes a id card and cleans the glass once a week. Nothing to terribly hard.

Nick's Reef
Something you may want to look at if you want a new tank is this.......

http://www.nanotuners.com/index.php?cPath=39

its the "tank only" version but they are way lower priced, like the JBJ 28 gal NC is only $150 or BC 8 is only $63. If you have like an extra MH light or PC these tanks would be perfect.

I think ill end up getting a BC 8 and a NC 28 gal from that site in the next month or so since they are so cheap and I have extra lights for them.

thanks, btu i looked at all my options and most came out too expensive, I'm gonna stick with what I have but I need to do some cleaning and get halides sometime soon.

Nick's Reef
Oh ok, I just saw how cheap the tanks were with out the lights the other day. Figured I would post a link for you since that last few post were about you thinking about a different tank.

it's really like ocho said, once you get halides it's a pretty good tank. So I'd rather spend $250 on a sunpod then $2000 on a new tank.

it's really like ocho said, once you get halides it's a pretty good tank. So I'd rather spend $250 on a sunpod then $2000 on a new tank.

With a good halide you can do a lot of stuff. Mine only has a 70 so I'm still limited. Also with a small tank that you can keep anything in it, it will get filled in quick with only small frags. You don't have to worry about getting huge colonys. If that makes any since...

Nick's Reef
With a good halide you can do a lot of stuff. Mine only has a 70 so I'm still limited. Also with a small tank that you can keep anything in it, it will get filled in quick with only small frags. You don't have to worry about getting huge colonys. If that makes any since...

I hate having a bunch of frags! colonies look so much nicer, that's part of my problem now, that I have so many frags and not much room for growth. I clean the tank up today and am going to rescape yet again and hopefully be happy with it, I also need to get rid of some stuff so I can have room for growth and just plain get rid of stuff from impulse buys.

lilredneckman
I hate having a bunch of frags! colonies look so much nicer, that's part of my problem now, that I have so many frags and not much room for growth. I clean the tank up today and am going to rescape yet again and hopefully be happy with it, I also need to get rid of some stuff so I can have room for growth and just plain get rid of stuff from impulse buys.

Send them impulse buys my way!!

Nick's Reef

Ok, so I did rescape and I got it just how I wanted it, it looks like a mountain but has some arches that my Sunburst loves to swim under. While doing so though the female Yasha Goby got stuck in ahole in a rock and I gently removed her and she is doing excelent. Sadly I can't find the Randall's Pistol shrimp and have not heard him click for a week or so. I'm positive he's a goner and will hunt for a new one as I loved watching him work on his home. Lilredneckman did take a few pieces that I was getting ride of, the others will go into my prop tank and I also removed the Flower anemone and the rock it was on, hopefully I'll find a good home for it.

I'll try to get pics of the new scape sometime this weekend. And also to keep my blabing to a minnimum I'll try to keep only to replys and a weekly update!

Archived