• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bzphotog

• latteslave

• Kirin1

• xxReidxx

yeah but how did you cut the bulkhead hole is what im asking

I used a drill and my drill bit was way too small so I drilled and then grined the sides down with the bit to the right size. if you can use a bigger drill bit and the process will be smother.

also when grinding down the hole it doesnt have to be perfect cause you will be putting the bulkhead through it and there is lots of room to play.

let me know how its going.

bzphotog

Edited by bzphotog
what are you planning to stock in it? im thinking that if i make one ill have a clown and a small goby

haha pretty much the same thing, also cleaner shrimp, and soft corals

• 2 weeks later...
starfish609

Nice start - I'd like to see this thread continue as well.

Just wondering about the height of the false wall being the same as the rim of the tank. If a blockage does occur, water will be pumped over the rim of the tank. If you cut your false wall slightly lower than the rim of the tank wouldn't that be safer? (See post #1, pic #2)

Cheers

Edited by starfish609
Nice start - I'd like to see this thread continue as well.

Just wondering about the height of the false wall being the same as the rim of the tank. If a blockage does occur, water will be pumped over the rim of the tank. If you cut your false wall slightly lower than the rim of the tank wouldn't that be safer? (See post #1, pic #2)

Cheers

Hey, that is a good point and I do believe its mitigated. I widened the waterfall teeth and made an "oh ######" slot and I plugged the holes to see if it would work in such an occurence and so it does.

There will be more coming this is not a dead project.

captianshellnutt

This is one of cleanest and best DIY AIO builds I have seen. I am looking forward to builing my own in a similar fashion. I can't wait for more updates. ;)

So I am in the process of getting all my things together, ordered a refractometer, and master test kit. purchased Seachem Reef Salt, seems that people like the calcium content of this stuff other wise its apples and apples to me. Once I get the testing stuff shipped, I will be adding LR and water in. and letting that cycle.

I have a question about base rock, does coraline algae grow on this stuff too?

bzphotog

I have a question about base rock, does coraline algae grow on this stuff too?

bzphotog

Yes, your dry base rock will eventually become just as 'live' as the rest of it and will color up nicely, especially once you can maintain stable alk/calc. Depending on the quality of the live and base rocks it could take 6 months or longer to get it truly indistinguishable from the rest.

I have this one piece of base rock that has a rougher, almost crystalline texture to 1/2 of it, and that spot has been slow to develop coralline, though it's green enough. You can see it in the center of This FTS. So be choosey with the base rock, a lot of what I've seen in stores is way too dense to make for decent bio filtration.

Yes, your dry base rock will eventually become just as 'live' as the rest of it and will color up nicely, especially once you can maintain stable alk/calc. Depending on the quality of the live and base rocks it could take 6 months or longer to get it truly indistinguishable from the rest.

I have this one piece of base rock that has a rougher, almost crystalline texture to 1/2 of it, and that spot has been slow to develop coralline, though it's green enough. You can see it in the center of This FTS. So be choosey with the base rock, a lot of what I've seen in stores is way too dense to make for decent bio filtration.

wow you tank is nice, great corals in there. The rocks did grow over nicely i didnt see any problems with them.

nice work

• 4 weeks later...

Hey BZ,

I'm getting together supplies for a 10g AIO as an upgrade for my 2.5 mantis tank.

Where did you get that nifty bulkhead kit? Got Link?

Thanks,

-K

CollegeNano

I'm excited about this thread. I have trying to learn how to make a 10g AIO, I'm glad you are taking the steps to teach everyone! Thanks, keep up the good work.

IndicaCorialis

Use Weld-On #4 instead of silicone to bond the plexiglass. It's stonger, cleaner looking, and will hold up a lot longer than silicone in saltwater. You can buy it online for $5 and a can will last forever. Make sure you buy an applicator or you will have to go to a pharmacy and buy a syringe. The applicator looks like a syringe. You can also look in the phone book for a plastic supplier and they will usually cut the pieces to your order. Delvies Plastics in Salt Lake City UT does it and I think you can order online. You can also get the plexiglass in black so you don't even have to paint it.

post-36280-1209440921_thumb.jpg

Edited by IndicaCorialis
Hey BZ,

I'm getting together supplies for a 10g AIO as an upgrade for my 2.5 mantis tank.

Where did you get that nifty bulkhead kit? Got Link?

Thanks,

-K

Hey that sounds like a good plan, the place I get my bulkhead stuff is at JL aquatics I live in canada

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...?category_ID=29

thats the link

thanks

I'm excited about this thread. I have trying to learn how to make a 10g AIO, I'm glad you are taking the steps to teach everyone! Thanks, keep up the good work.

Thanks CollegeNano

No worries there are lots of great threads on building I just wanted to fill in the between stuff that I always wanted to know. Let me know if questions come up. Just message me.

Use Weld-On #4 instead of silicone to bond the plexiglass. It's stonger, cleaner looking, and will hold up a lot longer than silicone in saltwater. You can buy it online for $5 and a can will last forever. Make sure you buy an applicator or you will have to go to a pharmacy and buy a syringe. The applicator looks like a syringe. You can also look in the phone book for a plastic supplier and they will usually cut the pieces to your order. Delvies Plastics in Salt Lake City UT does it and I think you can order online. You can also get the plexiglass in black so you don't even have to paint it.

Hey thanks for the info, its too late for me but others should look into this. I have a good supplier near me. They cut me a nice piece for $14 its a black one.

Great Looking setup! I like it better than my biocube!

hahaha Thanks, I find that hard to believe that the BC is not ass cool as this. Those are cool tanks.

Thanks for the link, too bad they're in Canada, UPS Gnd to Maryland costs about twice the price of a single bulkhead kit! I found it from a US supplier tho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So here are some overdue updates...Day 1

the tank is getting filled and rock work is added....

3184500836_6b76c5e413_o.jpg

Finished rockwork... i say finished but mean started..

3183663225_928220d770_o.jpg

anyone know what that little guy is..? My hitch hikers

3184500730_e47c185047_o.jpg

Another pic

3183662453_22cf24c9ce_o.jpg

And this one??

3184500200_b5690f1217_o.jpg

And this one???

3183662583_219ba23e17_o.jpg

My current livingroom with both tanks

3183663025_98784418dd_o.jpg

enjoy and help me id those hitchers if you can..

Bart

Edited by bzphotog

nice rocks. very unique shapes and very colorful!

that hitch hiker looks like some type of bleached out zoa...let it grow before you do anything to it to make sure its a zoa and not a apitasia

EDIT:

the white sponge-like thing is a colonial tunicate. means the tank that the rock work was in was very good and established

the mollusk looks like some type of mussle or oyster. maybe even some type of clam ( not tridacna)

Edited by nanoreefnate