Pod Your Reef

Weetie's Aquatic Ramblings & Lounge

Weetabix7

If you can't get your cam to color balance the way you want, you can clean it up in irfanview. It's a freeware image converter/viewer app that has a great many plugins. The CCDs in cameras have response curves that are not even for all visible light wavelengths. That means your pics might not look right, especially when you get toward the far blue/purple end of the visible spectrum.

You can use it to easily and quickly adjust your color hues to something closer to "reality".

SeeDemTails
The CCDs in cameras have response curves that are not even for all visible light wavelengths.

I have really noticed that with charge coupled device sensors.......As I was saying above, my new sony with a complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (cmos) takes much better images in the light wavelengths we use for our tanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Weetabix the tank is looking great and I love the placement of the huge rock I traded you. Your corals look happy too. Hope the algea clears up and ill be looking for an updated FTS from you :D

Hey Weetabix the tank is looking great and I love the placement of the huge rock I traded you. Your corals look happy too. Hope the algea clears up and ill be looking for an updated FTS from you :D

That rock is gorgeous, I still think I came out ahead in that trade.

I gotta do some maintenance before I'll feel brave enough to post any pics, it's looking a little neglected right now. :blush:

I know you dig frogfish so when I was at the LFS I thought of you. They had a critter in there labeled as a sargassum fish. Similar to the frog/leaf/scorpion but neon yellow and green. So kewl and only $45!! I'd have tossed him in the 55 in a hearbeat if I didn't know that he'd eat every creature in there. Just thought I'd let you know that the kewl predators are indeed out there and are, IMO, affordable.

Bill

I gotta do some maintenance before I'll feel brave enough to post any pics, it's looking a little neglected right now. :blush:

Know whacha mean. (But wait till I post some pics of what happened when I finally got around to some major maintenance!)

Just checking in on all the threads I've been missing the past week or so--:).

--Diane

I know you dig frogfish so when I was at the LFS I thought of you. They had a critter in there labeled as a sargassum fish. Similar to the frog/leaf/scorpion but neon yellow and green. So kewl and only $45!! I'd have tossed him in the 55 in a hearbeat if I didn't know that he'd eat every creature in there. Just thought I'd let you know that the kewl predators are indeed out there and are, IMO, affordable.

Bill

You keep getting those fish in at your store!!!

I'm gonna have to talk to you about hooking me up with one before long...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Weetie,

Saw your post on Dive's thread about the Ramora. How is that working out? Have you noticed the difference in the algae growth?

Hi Weetie,

Saw your post on Dive's thread about the Ramora. How is that working out? Have you noticed the difference in the algae growth?

I'm not totally sure yet.

To be totally honest with you, I haven't yet gone through and removed all of the algae that has been growing.

Life has just been very full (I know you know how that is!!).

So far I've just done WC's and added the Remora.

I will say that my corals got a little happier after I added it.

Getting all of the algae that's grown out of there will be a HUGE job and might honestly involve literally taking everything out to get to all of it.

Right now I'm just trying to pull everything together for the local frag swap tomorrow.

I'm actually taking the kids, which I'm sure will make things interesting!!! :lol:

The lights just came on and the yuma is puckered a bit cause I was cleaning the glass just in front of it, but here's some early pics of the Orange Ricordea and Rainbow Yuma I picked up at yesterday's frag swap. I'll try to get more pics when they open up all the way.

The Ricordea is more intensely colored IRL and the Yuma has all the colors of Rainbow Sherbet with a kind of minty green, a plummy purple and orange.

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

Needreefunds

OMG Weetie, that Yuma is very sweet!

Its offspring MUST BE A PART OF OUR TRADE ( if and when THAT ever happens! ) :lol:

Hope all is well, and nice to see a little update here. :)

Thanks Richie (and others!), but I promise, it looks MUCH nicer in person!!!

Unbelievable colors.

I'm gonna try to get some better pics over the next couple of days.

It looks like one of those Yuma's that sells for over $100 online, but BibleSue got it for me for $20 from the guy at the table next to us at the Frag Swap yesterday.

He said that the parent he got it from splits fairly regularly, so hopefully I'll get some babies from it before long.

I had actually seriously been considering taking this tank down (I know, I know!) just cause I was so burnt out and felt like I needed to cut back, but the Frag Swap yesterday kinda re-enthused me a bit and I'm thinking of some tentative plans for reworking things.

That nasty, scurfy skin-like algae came back BAD, and I think I may have it under control but I need to manually remove what has grown up to this point. That will require a huge overhaul since it's growing on almost everything including the lowest levels of my LR structure. I will literally have to take everything out and scrub it off.

Hopefully I have it in me to do that!

If I do manage to take the task on, I'm planning on completely reworking this tank including LR structure and what corals are in it.

We'll see what happens.

I won a TON of stuff yesterday at the Frag Swap including $100 in gift certificates to Air, Water & Ice, $25 gift certificate to Saltwaterfish.com, some DT's Oyster Eggs (which they have to ship to me), and a dry Magnesium supplement from SeaChem. I even found a $25 gift certificate in my stuff to Dr.'s Foster & Smith which I didn't remember winning!!!

Anyway, you can see why it perked my enthusiasm up a little.

HI. I Hate to seem obtuse, but I always wondered what happens at those frag swaps because I've never been and I don't even know if we have any around here. Judging by the name, people trade somehow, but I also read about others buying things. Would you mind enlightning me?

HI. I Hate to seem obtuse, but I always wondered what happens at those frag swaps because I've never been and I don't even know if we have any around here. Judging by the name, people trade somehow, but I also read about others buying things. Would you mind enlightning me?

Well, I've been to 3 and there seems to be more buying and selling than actual trading.

You will have people who set up a table with stuff to sell and you can usually get some pretty nice stuff for unbelievably cheap prices. I've scored some pretty sweet deals at Frag Swaps.

Some of the people who set up a table will do "pre-sales", where they announce on various boards what they will have available and people can pay them for it ahead of time and pick up their frags at the swap. They do this to avoid making a bunch of frags and lugging them out there only to not sell many and have to lug them all back.

BibleSue and I have set up a table at all of the frag swaps we've been to and we haven't personally done pre-sales, we just take whatever we already have available.

One of the things that's really startled me at the Swaps is the number of people who bring frags just individually bagged and set the bags on the table for people to buy. To me, this seems impractical cause you can't control the water temp that corals are in and people can't see the corals all that well since they aren't under any kind of lighting. I've bought a couple of frags that way though, and they've all worked out fine for me.

Frag Swaps also have door prizes, and they also usually have prizes that you can get in a raffle. You pay a set amount for the raffle tickets and then there are drawings to see who wins. I cleaned up in prizes at this last Swap, although I didn't sell much.

Personally, I think it's a pain to set up and break down at the Swaps, but I really enjoy interacting with everyone and getting to meet some NR members in person and finding some awesome deals on nice corals that I would normally never be able to afford. I've made some good connections with people through swaps too.

All in all, they're a blast.

Here's some pics of BibleSue and I at the Swaps we've set up at:

DSCN1169.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Frag Swaps are put on by the local Reef Clubs.

all the frag swaps i go to are jam packed.... and picked over unless you get there super early... best deal i ever got was on some yumas actually... that yuma you got looks killer, what lighting do you have it under... mh? pc?

Well, that's definitely one of the advantages of setting up a table at a swap, you get to look over all the frags and make deals before the general public is admitted!

I have it under 150w MH with a Phoenix 14k bulb. It actually looks much bluer in the pic than real life, I'm hoping to take a better pic soon. I've just got my hands full with tank makeovers right now!!!

Thanks so much for the info. Your display tanks look really nice and pro!

I'll see if I can find some swaps in my area because that sounds like fun.

I think...

I'm going...

to DIE

faint.gif

I'm so beat I feel sick to my stomach.

That nasty, nasty skinlike algae came back with a vengeance, in places all over the live rock and some of the corals.

I just got done taking every single thing out of the tank and getting the algae off with a toothbrush. Did a mega-mega cleaning and redo of the aquascape to help improve flow.

If I can hang in there, this tank will be taking a whole new direction!