Coral Vue Hydros

Weetie's Aquatic Ramblings & Lounge

Weetabix7

Think you might start a craze with that nudi!

Maybe we can just keep passing him around NR.

When he cleans up one person's tank, he can move onto someone else with an Aipatasia plague!

It would be interesting to see how many tanks we could eventually move him through. :D

Thanks Monk.

I have some good news for a change!

It looks like this tank may be rounding the corner.

It's looking better today.

It's not all the way back yet, but many of the corals are looking happier and almost back to their old selves, including my clove polyps that haven't opened for a week and a half or so.

I don't have the brown, stringy algae all over my corals anymore, the only place it's showing up is on the front and sides of the aquarium. Guess it's time to do some cleaning!

I'm gonna give it a couple more days and if it keeps improving I'm hoping to finish moving over all of the frags that I had planned on keeping in this tank.

Yay for me!!! :D

Well, I'm glad this is getting better too.

I thought that since you mentioned "stringy", it could be a variety of dinoflagellates and I've been having a serious issue with them for a while. Mine are burgundy, though there are several varieties. It looks like water changes help, of course, and a reduced photo-period kills them too. I also read that some species of dinos produce toxins, so maybe your corals didn't like too many of those, but that's pure speculation. I'm sure you know best.

BTW, very pretty pix of macro algae (I'm serious).

Well, I'm glad this is getting better too.

I thought that since you mentioned "stringy", it could be a variety of dinoflagellates and I've been having a serious issue with them for a while. Mine are burgundy, though there are several varieties. It looks like water changes help, of course, and a reduced photo-period kills them too. I also read that some species of dinos produce toxins, so maybe your corals didn't like too many of those, but that's pure speculation. I'm sure you know best.

BTW, very pretty pix of macro algae (I'm serious).

I was thinking dinoflagellates too and had already started mixing water for the WC and no lights strategy to deal with them when they started to go away and the tank started looking better. Right now I'm gonna hold off on doing anything to see if things continue to improve on their own.

Thanks for the compliments on the macro's. I'm hoping to do some cool stuff with macroalgae's soon.

I was thinking dinoflagellates too and had already started mixing water for the WC and no lights strategy to deal with them when they started to go away and the tank started looking better. Right now I'm gonna hold off on doing anything to see if things continue to improve on their own.

Thanks for the compliments on the macro's. I'm hoping to do some cool stuff with macroalgae's soon.

YAY for progress!

me like macros. you want some Caulerpa? :lol:

YAY for progress!

me like macros. you want some Caulerpa? :lol:

Caulerpa makes me nervous, I worry about it going sexual, but thanks for the offer.

Love the clown fish whats his/her name? Also is it hosting anything or?

The clownfish isn't hosting anything, he just hangs around with the Yellow Coris Wrasse a lot.

My kids want to name him Nemo (predictably), but I've resisted officially naming him anything just yet.

Nudi Reefchicks!!

From this day foward you will be Nudi Reeferchick, no more greeneyed she devil reefer chick.

Edited by greeneyes
From this day foward you will be Nudi Reeferchick, no more greeneyed she devil reefer chick.

Are you saying you're disbanding our little club??? :huh::o

Hey guys, I need some input.

I was thinking of entering a pic in the photo contest.

Of these three, which do you like better?

RSCN2071.jpg

DSCN2066.jpg

DSCF0136.jpg

Edited by Weetabix7

hard decision...I like all three.

I say no on number two because there's a lot of brain corals in the contest already.

And my bias is for macro shots, so number one would win, but not without much debate.

I actually like #3 the best but I think #1 would be your best shot for winning - does that even make sense? :D

Edited by PodRod

#2.

The 3rd gets lost to the star polyps. Even though their may be many brains I think your pic is awesome! you lose yourself in a weird dimension. I really like 2.

the others give you a sense on size and dimension but 2 is unique. kudos on that shot.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Only thing is, everyone has such a different opinion I'm not sure which one to go with!

I think I might try to take a few more pics of the blasto merletti in the first pic and see if I can come up with something better.

I like the Brain pic better too (thanks dopamine!), but dshnarw is right that there are a lot of brain pics. A blasto pic would stand out from the crowd better.

Things are still improving slowly in this tank.

I don't see any of the brown, stringy algae now.

I think what it really needs is for me to just leave it alone and allow it to stabilize on it's own. That's what my gut tells me anyway.

I was fishless for 12 yrs., and I think the biological filter (i.e. LR) is just trying to adjust to the addition of 2 fish in a fairly short timeframe.