Coral Vue Hydros

Weetie's Aquatic Ramblings & Lounge

Weetabix7

Sorry to hear that the algae came back with a vengeance. Seems like these type of things always crop back up right when you think you have it heading in the right direction.

I just did about 2 hours worth of tank cleaning as well yesterday....I plucked off oh about 200-300 neomeris stalks off the live rock. I feel your pain.

Hang in there.

I am one of those weirdos that likes macro in their display so that means I have trouble growing it. I actually have fire, maiden's fan, pencil cap (that is spreading) and pink galaxy that I got from John at reefcleaners.org as well as my ever present codium, red titan, prolifera, grape cal, hallimeda and suction cup cal. My scopas tang and lawnmower blenny actually nip the new growth so not much is spreading, just maintaining.

Actually, I really like macroalgae too and want to do a display refugium sometime down the road.

I thought the neomeris fell into the category of macro, but the nasty algae I just scrubbed off everything definitely is NOT macro and is very much a negative "pest" algae.

I have a skimmer on the tank now (a Remora) and am increasing flow to help w/the situation.

Neomeris is fine IMO. Not invasive and tends to get grazed down by the hermits in my tanks. I guess it might be a PITA if you are already having trouble keeping your Ca up but other than that, I think it's fine.

However, it's presence is usually an indication of good dissolved nutrient supply in my tanks.

Also, vis a vis your frag swap pics... You and Sue are hot. :wub:

So wait, neomeris is BAD???

Cause I have that too!!! :o

No no....definitely not bad. It just got to the point where that was pretty much all that caught my eye when I looked at the tank :) It was brighter, more vibrant, and more abundant than my corals. I just trim it back once in a while. It's weird because I had it a while back in one spot, it dwindled down to just white sticks that I then plucked out. I didn't have it for several months and now it came back throughout the tank.

I still left a couple of patches because I just like the way it looks.

Fosi-- :blush::blush::blush:

It's the reflective glow of all the sexy frags we're standing in front of!!!

Dive-- Whew, that's a relief! I did pull a few neomeris stalks off during the cleaning, but left a few in as well, maybe 7 or so.

Just to clarify a bit for you dive, since we discussed this on your tank thread, the algae didn't get worse after I added the Remora skimmer. It's just that life has been VERY full lately and I still hadn't had a chance to clear out all of the algae that had grown over everything before I put the skimmer in there. I knew that it would be a major overhaul job and just didn't have the time or "oomph" to do it before yesterday.

I do think the skimmer has helped.

I think all of the algae has come about because of increased nutrient levels (yes Fosi!) due to feeding fish in a smaller nano tank. I'm starting to think that it's harder to keep nutrient levels in check if you have fish in a smaller tank without also having a skimmer.

This tank is getting TOTALLY reworked.

I am moving almost all of the softies to another system.

I am working hard on having good circulation in here and will be moving all of my remaining sps that haven't already kicked the bucket. I have a few sps that are being "rehabbed" in BibleSue's prop system. If they recover well enough and this tank does well after it's makeover, I will move them in here as well.

I also have just a few lps that I will be keeping in here, including my beautifamous blasto's.

I need to get a new 150w MH bulb for the light as well. I am much more interested in having things look cool than I am in incredible growth, so I am considering getting a 20k bulb, possibly an Ushio. Anyone that has good input on 20k bulbs, I'm all ears. I hear the 20k Radiums are pretty nice, but I think they're out of my budget.

These last few months have been a really hard road for me as far as aquariums go, but I'm trying to make a comeback. At one point not long ago, I had actually decided to take this tank down and get rid of a lot of stuff and go to just one system. Honestly, what brought me back was the encouragement and support of various people on this site (PodRod, you played a large part in this!), and to a smaller extent, the recent Frag Swap. But people here had a lot to do with it. You guys are my official Support Group! :happy:

So anyway, hopefully the next few weeks will bring some positive changes.

I'm hanging in there!

Hey Weetie....the tank is looking really good in that last picture. I really like the rework and it sounds like you do as well.

I think that we all understand what it's like when our tanks take a backseat to life. I know that although I spend a lot of time and money on my tank, if life took a turn and I had to dedicate all my time and energy to making things work and ends meet, it would be down in a minute. It is sticking to it and pushing through times where things seem to being going forever downhill that makes the hobby worth it.

There are way too many people that get in the hobby, one small thing happens to their tank (algae problem, etc.) and then they just decide to quit. I know there have been times when I just felt like tossing in the towel. Its those times though when you spend 2 hours pulling algae, cleaning pumps, etc. and the tank looks incredible that brings me back.

I'm sure your tank will look amazing once you reach your final goal that you listed above.

SeeDemTails
Hang in there L...we're all pulling for you!! I'm sure things will work out.

No doubt, you totally deserve results with all the work you put in! The skimmer will only work better the longer you have it.....you see the results I get, thats all I run my tank with besides b-ionic and powerheards.

Wrasse looks great!

I really like the look. Are your returns just on the one side, creating a laminar flow? I was just wondering because I have had problems with one direction flow, even a circular flow created by multiple power heads. I have had much better luck with my pumps pointing at each other so they crash together. I have them slightly offset so some of the flow goes end to end but the crashing creates a random pattern and works so much better in the algae dept and my corals love it. Algae that I get loves flow going in one direction.

I have seen people come and go on this site. I always love those who buy into the popular corals and build multiple systems and dish out tons of advice and then drop it all out of the blue. Total time in; 6 months. Cycle not included. Seeing your hard work and the people responding here and biblesue's kitchen LOL I was encouraged to keep going. I don't post much as I get tired of computers from a stressful job and I have twins that are with me all day, even at work. The crazy schedule called life almost got me out of the hobby. My NC 12 was a gift in 2004 and has been reborn from a fowlr to a reef tank again, for the kids, and my 37 was upgraded to a 60. I had fragged or parted with a lot from the 37 and basically was holding on to it because of my three fish I had gotten in 2005. I battled dinoflagellettes in the 60 after the upgrade and how I didn't chuck it all then I don't know but the tank is growing and save for some three year old astreas, no losses and it is looking better than ever.

Keep on reefing.

Diatome-- It's good to hear from someone else who is hanging in there through difficulties.

I have small children as well, and I totally understand life getting in the way!!!

As for the flow, I did have the returns all on one side, but I have added a Koralia 1 for additional flow. I am still playing around with it's final location, but like you I think I prefer the "crashing flow" effect and will try to achieve something close to that.

I continue to feel hopeful about final seeing an upswing in my personal reefing world and this tank still seems to be looking better after all my work.

I'll try to do new pics before long.

Life's been BUSY!!!

And speaking of new pics and life being busy, here's a pic of my new baby that I just brought home tonight:

IMG_1385.jpg

He's a male Lab mix puppy that I just adopted from the local Animal Shelter. Don't know his age for sure. I'm guessing around 3-4 months but hope to find out something more definitive at his vet appt. tomorrow.

His name is Finn, like Huck Finn.

He's very friendly, really likes people and really likes kids.

His first bad habit is barking when left alone, so we need to work on that.

I hope we get some sleep tonight!

Cute puppy! My wife and I work with an animal rescue in Southwest MI, and it's amazing how many wonderful animals are abandoned/abused/neglected. Props to you for adopting!

"Don't forget to spay or neuter your pet!" -Bob Barker

We have a Catahoula Leopard Dog and a Terrier mix that we rescude. They are inseparable. Belle, the catahoula, protects the twins at all times. Labs and Catahoulas are amazing with kids. Congrats. I need to do pics o f the tank. I did some and then added a leather. I am bad about pics. I use two corillas plus my HOB/homebaked fuge. The HOB really doesn't add to the flow. The two korillas create enough. I have tweaked them endlessly. I really want them hitting the corals just right but I have a rock with white, red, yellow and orange encrusting sponges, red tunicates and 3 yellow ball sponges and I like keeping the flow on this one. I just found a little basket star in the middle of a newer rock that is actually full of brittle stars. Never noticed it because of the size but it really works the water column. I am not foolling myself into thinking it is going to make it but it has bene just over a month in the tank and I pretty much over feed because of the sponges on all my rock anyway. I have so many on my 4 year old rock it actually has fused the separate rocks together. Finding something like that surviving is quite a boost and makes me want to keep going even more.

Edited by Diatome
Cute puppy! My wife and I work with an animal rescue in Southwest MI, and it's amazing how many wonderful animals are abandoned/abused/neglected. Props to you for adopting!

"Don't forget to spay or neuter your pet!" -Bob Barker

I always adopt.

I had actually been searching on Petfinder for Mastiff mix puppies and kept finding some in Michigan, I wonder if any of them were through your rescue!!!

He's already neutered, it's done automatically for all animals that are adopted.

I wouldn't mind him being big at all, I like big dogs.

His paws are massive!

I'm wondering if he might have a little bit of Bassett in him though, cause his front paws are angled kinda different. I'm gonna try to get a pic to show what I'm talking about.

He's very sweet and unusually gentle for a puppy.

He had a leash put on him for the first time today, and he let my 5 yr. old walk him all over the place with no protest at all, and no pulling. He even let my 2 yr. old walk him a little bit!

He REALLY likes my 5 yr. old!!

I really, really like his personality, but I'm not sure I like the idea of a short dog if he does have Bassett in him!

(bad, bad me... :()

Awwww...he is a cutie! What a face!

My dogs would like to thank your little ones for playing with them today. It got a bit of Sol's energy out and made for a happier group.

Olivia

That's awesome Weetie. I knew you would get one before too long. How did you end up convincing your husband? :)

Definitely a very exciting time having a new dog. Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th.