inTank Media Baskets

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

What is actually so bad about the standard RSM heater?Read about this here and there but nobody is stating why it's bad.Works like a charm here.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is actually so bad about the standard RSM heater?Read about this here and there but nobody is stating why it's bad.Works like a charm here.

My first RSM heater allowed the tank to swing through a 8 degree range (sometimes more). They sent a replacement, which kept the high/low range down to about 4 or 5 degrees. Since I replaced mine with the Stealth, temp swings no more than 1 degree day to night.

I suspect others had similar experiences.

Stealth 100 or 150? Forget the diagram....write a "How-To-RSM" book.

150, same as the stock one.

Well this thread is kind of that book, but full of posts that clutter it all. I tried to index it all on the first page

yep, same as above. Mine would have temp swings from 2-3°, I always thought it was just my tank and the lighting. Then it just died one night and dropped it to 70°. Put the stealth in there and the tank never swings, not even 0.1°.

Most if not all RSM heaters will fail over time,they are poor in design. To be safe and not kill your entire tank, it is highly recommended to replace it. I talk to hundreds of RSM owners and they ALL say that the heater is junk.

My first RSM heater allowed the tank to swing through a 8 degree range (sometimes more). They sent a replacement, which kept the high/low range down to about 4 or 5 degrees. Since I replaced mine with the Stealth, temp swings no more than 1 degree day to night.

I suspect others had similar experiences.

Lol it sounds like your trying to piss of Red Sea Steve :D

Great video :P Do you have any more pics of the hood? Does this one have the OuterOrbit HQI lights? It's hard to tell, but it looks like the stock hood. Is that clam under the stock lighting? Thanks,

na, we're cool. I just want them to make products that I don't have to provide free support for 24/7 :D

^^^ this rsm bashing is NOT what I want to hear this evening sir........

Gotta go, gots a stand to assemble.

:ninja:

:happy:

^^^ this rsm bashing is NOT what I want to hear this evening sir........

Gotta go, gots a stand to assemble.

:ninja:

:happy:

Wha!!??

Haha, yeah...just listen to Stevie and get the Stealth 150. I was hanging swings from around 78-83 tops I think and I got the stealth and installed the cooling fan (which was a snap) even though our room temps are pretty steady around 72ish...but since then my temps stay in the 79s...it's great! Totally worth it...and the peace of mind!

Great video :P Do you have any more pics of the hood? Does this one have the OuterOrbit HQI lights? It's hard to tell, but it looks like the stock hood. Is that clam under the stock lighting? Thanks,

The hood in the video is stock. My new light doesn't come until Monday. I have had SPS and the clam under the stocking lighting for 16 months.

There are a lot more pictures if you have the time and look back through the pages.

Till now my RSM heater is a normal 25 degrees celcius,but i am not getting drops like 3 degrees.

Mine worked for about 4-5 months before starting to go bad. When you get some extra cash junk the stock one to be safe, I wouldn't call it a rush or immediate thing if yours is still working

Haha, yeah...just listen to Stevie and get the Stealth 150. I was hanging swings from around 78-83 tops I think and I got the stealth and installed the cooling fan (which was a snap) even though our room temps are pretty steady around 72ish...but since then my temps stay in the 79s...it's great! Totally worth it...and the peace of mind!

Setting your heater at 73° will not make your tank 73° with the lights on :P:lol::D:flower:

let-there-be-light-1.jpg

So I was bored with the tank. I came into work every day and everything was the same, everything was alive, everything just grew well, but I knew it could all be better.

I used to rush into work and hope that everything was fine with the tank, it wasn't laying of the floor. A fish wasn't dead, a coral wasn't dying. That stopped last summer. The tank was going fine, but I was bored. Some may call me crazy, but I need that risk factor again.

So let there be light, lots of light:

Unit:

24" Outer Orbit 150W HQI/T5HO

Means, there is one MH bulb and 4 actinic T5s, 420nm and 460nm

I replaced the stock bulb with a Gussman 14.5K

IMG_8960.jpg

I did a water change before installing the light. It was time for a new rack. My old one was all clear, no cool stickers, nothing fancy like my cutsomers get. I have only had prototypes in my tank, screw that so I robbed one from my inventory. Shhhh don't tell the inventory Nazis, they are crazy.

IMG_8961.jpg

IMG_8962.jpg

Taking hood and access lid pins out:

IMG_8963.jpg

IMG_8964.jpg

IMG_8967.jpg

Now officially topless:

IMG_8968.jpg

Time to clean this area out, done before new light was put on

IMG_8969.jpg

IMG_8970.jpg

IMG_8971.jpg

Stock Bulb:

IMG_8972.jpg

Work Area:

IMG_8973.jpg

New Bulb:

IMG_8974.jpg

IMG_8975.jpg

Check, touch the bulb right after turning the unit off:

IMG_8976.jpg

Actinics:

IMG_8977.jpg

MH, Actinics, and LEDs, passed test:

IMG_8978.jpg

After a little work the light is on!

IMG_8984.jpg

IMG_8985.jpg

IMG_8986.jpg

IMG_8988.jpg

IMG_8990.jpg

This is the area that needs some work. A shorter cup and a black three sided box made from acrylic. It will hide the cords, cup and all other equipment. I will construct soon, hopefully this week if I get a chance. Production on inTank comes first, my tank comes second.

I would have loved to ceiling mounted this light. But with the 95% chance of moving to Wisconsin it would have been stupid. I will mount it to the ceiling in the new office, there is no way I want to take it off the tank every time I have to do a WC.

-- please do not reply with all of these pictures, I don't know why that is common practice but it is just clutter. ;)

oh crap.. Stevie is adding a new light?

now i have to go back through the pages to see what you are adding now.

SCRATCH THE ABOVE.. I somehow got caught in a thread votex.. was about to post and while doing so. stevie hit ADD REPLY on a monster update with photos.

in the gilda radner voice "nevermind"

ok. so now that ive read the update. WOW.

AND STEVIE T said "LET THERE BE SHIMMER FROM A METAL HALIDE" and there was SHIMMER and SHIMMER WAS GOOD and VERY GOOD.

Congrats.. wow.. significant change on the RSM....

will be interested to see what kind of EVAP you see...

also.. you doing anything to shield the coral from the brightness? removable screens? or just rolling with it?

More blue for sure. The MH is bright!!! I love how it cuts through the water and you can see ripples on the corals. The clown fish is really mad still, she doesn't know what is going on. We will see how it looks after the bulb burns in. The MH will only be on for 30 more minutes, actinics will stay on for 12 total hours/day.

So far I LOVE it

will be interested to see what kind of EVAP you see...

also.. you doing anything to shield the coral from the brightness? removable screens? or just rolling with it?

I am interested in the Evap as well. My ATO was going through about 4 gallons a week before, I may need to get a larger resivor so I can leave on business/vacation.

I am doing 2 hours of MH on today.

Actinics on 8am to 8pm

Then bump the MH up one hour every three days.

So at the end it will be:

Actincs on 8am

MH on about 9am

MH off 7pm

Actincs off 8pm

LEDs on all night, off in the day

I may play with that light cycle over time but it will work out better for my schedule. Before my lights would go on about 8 and off shortly before 7pm. But I was in the office till almost 10PM so the office lights were still "on" and it messed with the fish a bit. Corals didn't care, they went to sleep.

Sweet! I don't think I can wait for mine till next month. I should have mine real soon...

Stevie, I guess you're not doing the screen cover-removal technique? How's the transition going so far?

BTW, when is the next project going to be ready to cover the filtration system with a shorter cup? I will be patiently waiting (hopefully soon though). :lol:

Sweet! I don't think I can wait for mine till next month. I should have mine real soon...

Stevie, I guess you're not doing the screen cover-removal technique? How's the transition going so far?

no, read above. I am going to follow how ReefMack AND HAZMAT did the acclimation. Start with 2 hours then bump up an hour every three days. No screens needed.

Have you ever had a problem with your corals/clams being temporarily exposed during a water change?

my green acro is exposed, about 2" of it. Everything else is still under water. Acro could care less. It is in the air for only a few minutes.

BTW, when is the next project going to be ready to cover the filtration system with a shorter cup? I will be patiently waiting (hopefully soon though). :lol:

Soon. Shorter cups are no big deal, I do so many different sizes and have done one for other RSM MH tanks.

The filtration chamber cover should be done this week, I hope. I have a lot of orders to fill and those come first. I am going to test it out on my tank, make sure I am happy with it, then I am sure I should offer it on the website. It should be pretty cheap, simple construction overall (crossing fingers)

All black cover, just pop off to service cup or media rack. "StevieT is the bestest" sticker acorss the entire front, making sure customer can not remove so they have to look at it.

Archived