Cultivated Reef

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

WOW :o Looks Great! Stevie

Will the new light raise your temp and speed up evaporation?

Does the light come off easily for water changes?

Now I want one :angry:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What lights are those stevie and hows the temp?
24" Outer Orbit 150W HQI/T5HO

Means, there is one MH bulb and 4 actinic T5s, 420nm and 460nm

I replaced the stock bulb with a Gussman 14.5K

Sorry for answering for you Stevie, can't help myself. I'm just so ####ing helpful.

the white led shots are sick good..

just when you thought you had him figured out.. he pulls this...

One upsmanship at his best....

You are going to enjoy the heck out of those...

Congrats to you....looks amazing. nice choice.

WOW :o Looks Great! Stevie

Will the new light raise your temp and speed up evaporation?

Does the light come off easily for water changes?

Now I want one :angry:

Temp: it didn't budge yesterday, but I am still only on a 2 hour photoperiod on the MH. Other RSM owners with the light do not have temp issues.

It may raise it since the tank is open topped. I was going through 4 gallons/week before, especially in the winter, dry air. I have an ATO so not to big of a deal.

No, it sucks, you have to take it off the tank to do a water change. I was going to ceiling mount it so that wouldn't be an issue, but I may be moving very soon.

Well man up and get a light :)

What lights are those stevie and hows the temp?

Read

<----- addaway

or listen my thread assistant Scott. He doesn't get paid much but he is a valuable employee to the entire organization.

One upsmanship at his best....

come one, I am late to the party. Other RSM owners have had the light long before me, but they are rich and like political types with lots o cash.

Been a bit distracted here, but catching up.... the new light fixture looks great, and it's amazing the difference in the appearance of the same corals!

I'll be real interested to see how the custom-cover looks! New product line for In-Tank?

I'll be real interested to see how the custom-cover looks! New product line for In-Tank?

Yes, I think so. It should help out RSM MH owners that don't want to see the ugly fitration area and don't want to do it themselves or waste the money on overbuying materials. Still debating on messing with a few and sending them with HUGE stickers across the front.

Hows life Mr. Nugget? Are we still kicking ass?

Nice Stevie, I am really impressed!

What up SDT, thank you. Got my mandarin to eat out of my hand at times, thanks for all your tips that you have posted in the past. Honestly, it really wansn't that hard, maybe I got lucky

Honestly, it really wansn't that hard, maybe I got lucky

Nah, it really isnt. They are very smart fish. I think everyone was so caught up in the hearsay that they never really tried, other than a few people. I am glad that people are now have success with these fish!

Ah.......I knew you would love it. Best upgrade I ever did for my RSM(except the media rack...lol). I just put a 15k bulb in there yesterday and Im loving it. Once I get the growth from all my SPS I will do a 20k. Good Luck with the light acclimation.

Hows life Mr. Nugget? Are we still kicking ass?

Some days we kicks the ass, some days the ass kicks us....

Been one of those weeks.

All good on the stuff that really counts, if you take my meaning.

Finally got around to re-trying a first fish - purple firefish again, and hoping there are no comets. Hope to add a neon goby later this week.

Ah.......I knew you would love it. Best upgrade I ever did for my RSM(except the media rack...lol). I just put a 15k bulb in there yesterday and Im loving it. Once I get the growth from all my SPS I will do a 20k. Good Luck with the light acclimation.

Thank you for doing it before me!!!! Made me want it even more

Some days we kicks the ass, some days the ass kicks us....

Been one of those weeks.

All good on the stuff that really counts, if you take my meaning.

Finally got around to re-trying a first fish - purple firefish again, and hoping there are no comets. Hope to add a neon goby later this week.

Well maybe chemi pure is the answer ;)

Good luck with the new fish, it must have been going around since we lost our firefish at the same time. I saw a neon goby for the first time Friday night, very cool looking fish, hid in this small hole in a rock but would come out to show off.

Been a bit distracted here, but catching up.... the new light fixture looks great, and it's amazing the difference in the appearance of the same corals!

If you want to get the shimmer affect of metal halides along with some added lighting benefits without the heat and maintain the stock lights and hood you can add Current Technologies Powerbrite LED units. I just added the actininc white unit ($60.00) and this adds the brilliant shimmer of MH's. These come with mounting brackets and can easily mount into the stock hood. With being creative you could probably add about 4 of the lighting strips on the bottom of the stock hood. These come in all white, blue or combo of white and blue.

I just added this to my tank this weekend and it really gives a nice shimmer effect.

If you want to get the shimmer affect of metal halides along with some added lighting benefits without the heat and maintain the stock lights and hood you can add Current Technologies Powerbrite LED units. I just added the actininc white unit ($60.00) and this adds the brilliant shimmer of MH's. These come with mounting brackets and can easily mount into the stock hood. With being creative you could probably add about 4 of the lighting strips on the bottom of the stock hood. These come in all white, blue or combo of white and blue.

I just added this to my tank this weekend and it really gives a nice shimmer effect.

How do they mount to the hood? Did you put them behind the protective plastic near the stock bulbs?

Can you post pictures on how they mount and look?

+1 to the LEDs if you want that shimmer. I was shocked to see it last night for the first time. Amazing! I had no idea they did such. I'm such a n00b to cool new lights

How do they mount to the hood? Did you put them behind the protective plastic near the stock bulbs?

Can you post pictures on how they mount and look?

Sorry I don't have a picture at this time. These come with simple "c-clip" type mounts and can be mounted directly to the bottom of the existing hood with 2 screws. The powerbrites are about 12" long x 1 1/2" wide by about 3/4" deep. Even with the water level filled up where the level is touching the top black rim of the tank there is still about a 2" gap between the hood and the water. By mounting the powerbrites directly to the bottom of the hood you still are left with over a 1" plus gap, also the Powerbrites are sealed really good. There is a guy on youtube that has a video of these on a bio cube to show the effect of just one powerbrite strip. Type in powerbrite shimmer and there is a 2 or 3 videos of the effect. Just have you powerheads or supplimental heads angled to ripple the water and it really enhances the shimmer.

I mounted mine on the angled part of the small door on the front hood. I plan to mount about 3 more Powerbrite stips in the future. You could easily mount one on the tray area of the small front door, the angled part (gives better throw of the light when on a slight angle), one in front of the stock lights and one in the rear behind the stock lights. You will need to be careful drilling the holes if you mount these in the area towards the back because that is where all the wiring for your stock lights, fans and timer are at.

The nice thing about the Powerbrites is they give off absolutely no heat and the shimmer is about 90% as intense as MH's visually, they just are not as intense as MH's in the deeper levels of the tank. These also last 50,000 hours.

These are also linkable so you can run 2 slave strips off of one main strip and are connected by a simple supplied cable. The main strips are about $60 and the slaves are about $45 costwise here in Detroit.

By adding the actinic blue strips will allow the morning/nightime blue spectrum that I so dearly miss since switching to the RSM.

Go to the current-usa site for more info. Here is a little blurb about the lights.

PowerBrite LED Systems use high intensity 1 watt (50-60 lumens/watt) Power LED's that provide a point source light, producing the "shimmering" effect often found from using high intensity lighting systems such as metal halides. PowerBrite LED's are designed to enhance existing lighting systems such as fluorescent and compact fluorescent systems, as well as act as a stand alone light in very small aquariums, refugiums - as well as powerful nocturnal moon lights. It is recommended to use one PowerBrite LED for every 20" of aquarium tank length.

And btw these must be brite because my clownfish was pissed off when I added just the 1 strip.......he's getting used to it 3 days later.

Robert

Hey StevieT

I recently purchased a 130d rsm about three weeks ago. All is going well except for one minor glitch. I keep having micro bubbles. I know it has to be coming for the skimmer but i do not know how to remedy this. Any advice would great.

Thanks, Chris :D

Hey chris. This is a common problem with the RSM. Just give it a few weeks to a month and they will settle down. Durning your cycle the skimmer is not needed anyway. After you stock up turn it back on and let it break in. See if it is improved from the 130.

Sweet! You finally made the switch to MH. Best thing you could have done. The T-5's add a nice coloration. Need more white balanced photos. And maybe you could post up a before and after FTS of the light systems.

Sweet! You finally made the switch to MH. Best thing you could have done. The T-5's add a nice coloration. Need more white balanced photos. And maybe you could post up a before and after FTS of the light systems.

Just in the beginning stages of the of acclimation. About the best I can do with the camera I have on hand right now. Canon P&S.

I will post before and afters in about a month when the acclimation is over and the bulb is burned in.

Archived