Cultivated Reef

CADLIGHTS OWNERS CLUB THREAD!

Belatube

Do you have the fan that blows on the water? Or the one in the light fixture? I was thinking about the light fixture mod, drawing the warm air out of the fixture itself. I don't really have anyroom for a fan to blow on the back chambers. Evap is not a problem now, the Tunze works freakin awesome.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have mine hanging above my tank blowing over the water and a little bit across the uv glass of the bulb but you dont need a very lage fan to cool the mine ony about 3". which CAD model do you have? the problem with the fan mod in the fixure is it doent take as much radiant heat from the aquaium unlike blowing over the surface or straight down one of the chambers

I have the 22G with 3G refugium off the back. The fixture itself gives off a ton of heat, so I figured throwing in 2 40mm fans in the side would pull enough air through the fixture to keep it cooler and not have so much heat radiate off of it to the tank. The fixture that goes over the refugium is the same width as the main fixture so it doens't allow much room to put anything under it. The heater, ATO, and PH probe just clear it. I would like to keep the setup itself as clean as possible without any extra additions. The fans in the fixture would be unoticeable as well as a chiller in the cabinet would not be seen.

+1

You could try the fan idea first to see how it goes b4 investing in a chiller. I've planned to relocated my tank due to the heat.

Btw, VDUB90, you got pictures? I'd like to see the back hehe.

Depends on what view you want. The only pics I have of the back are from the front with the rear light tilted up. I can post them when I get home from work.

I was hoping someone who's done the fan in the fixture mod would chime in. I hate spending and doing more work than needs be, so if the mod doesn't work I'd rather save the $20 bucks and few hours time and put that in for the chiller.

Hey guys! Anyone have any tips for getting the stock pump out of the back chamber? My tank is about a year old, and I'd really like to upgrade the pump but I can not seem to get that pump out of there.....it is really wedged in. I'm scared that even if I do get it out, I won't be able to get a new one in. :huh:

Your pump is that tight a fit? I guess after a year all the parts could bond together really well. Not sure what to say other than be careful with forcing it too much. Is it screwed on? On my tank it's just a press fit thing.

Hmmmm.......these are the times when I wish I had a man around the house. LOL.

I'll give it a try. It's been a tight fit since day one, now that there is coraline and stuff back there it is even more stuck though! I have an whole new set of parts with a bigger pump, loc line, fittings, etc... from the first tank I received (it was smashed to bits and a new one had to be sent out). Apparently after they sent the first tank out they switched to a smaller model pump and that's what I got with the replacement tank. I'd like to get the bigger pump in there if I can...I think it's a difference of like 200 gph.

Ahh you'll get it if i was back in CA i would help you out. I you have a pair of channell lock pliers they would come in handy just dont crank on it too hard. The fitting should only be hand tight and once you get the bulkhead nut off just push the bulk head out a bit and grab it then unscrew the barbed fitting. I put a ViaAqua VA2600 (740 gph) when i replaced my pump and it works great

Cheers

Hmmmm.......these are the times when I wish I had a man around the house. LOL.

I'll give it a try. It's been a tight fit since day one, now that there is coraline and stuff back there it is even more stuck though! I have an whole new set of parts with a bigger pump, loc line, fittings, etc... from the first tank I received (it was smashed to bits and a new one had to be sent out). Apparently after they sent the first tank out they switched to a smaller model pump and that's what I got with the replacement tank. I'd like to get the bigger pump in there if I can...I think it's a difference of like 200 gph.

hi everyone,

I just purchased a signature series 39 gallon yesterday. Hopefully it will get here by next week. Any insight is always appreciated!

welcome to the CAD club B)

perverseosmosis

I've got the 39 signature. I'm curious to hear how folks with this unit handle the light. I've got the halide setup for it. It's quite heavy. It sits on top of these plastic clips.

When I actually need to reach my hand in the tank, I have to move the light off the tank. I've found this to be a bit difficult. That it's heavy sucks, but is understandable. What I'm finding less understandable is the plastic clips the thing sits on. The clips slide around in these little tracks. When I go to put the light back on, they've usually moved around and now the light no longer fits the tank and I struggle to not drop the thing in the water.

I've tried sticking a number of things inside the tracks, but the UV usually gets to them and they fall off. What have you all done about this. I'm thinking about trying epoxy next, but it seems extreme.

Thanks!

I remove my light when doing anything in the tank. It's the older MH fixture and doesn't weigh much, maybe 5lbs. I know what you mean though the clips have slid in a few times and makes it a pain to get back on. Your epoxy idea is good, even silicone might work. Just a small dab in the track on either side of the clip. I would be inclined to only use something you can remove, epoxy might be a bit hard to get off if you didn't put it in the right spot.

I should have my tank and my cherry stand in about 5 days so I cant wait for that. Would anyone have any idea about the Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper 2 Controller? Is this a good buy? Also I was thinking of getting a auto top off system can anyone help me on these. I got a pacific coast mini chiller which cools up to 50 gallons.

Thanks!

When I actually need to reach my hand in the tank, I have to move the light off the tank. I've found this to be a bit difficult. That it's heavy sucks, but is understandable. What I'm finding less understandable is the plastic clips the thing sits on. The clips slide around in these little tracks. When I go to put the light back on, they've usually moved around and now the light no longer fits the tank and I struggle to not drop the thing in the water.

Thanks!

I have the same unit and yes the heavy light fixture is a real pain. Too bad the legs are not another 2" taller, thne I could do more work in the tank without removing the lights. The light fixture is ~20lbs. I hope to hang the fixture from the ceiling this fall and use a "light lifter" that allows you to move the lights up and down, similar to venetian blinds.

I would not use epoxy to hold the legs, that will be quite permanent. Try some caulking, it can always be removed.

I got my tank today and wanna ask where the WATER LEVEL is for the back chambers. Anybody can chime? Does it go all the way up to the tank's level or is it cut down?

Perhaps pictures.

This is urgent, the SKIMMER from CAD LIGHT does not even FIT In the back.

Hello,

I'm in the process of cycling my new Cadlights 39G aquarium. What is the best light cycle to use for this tank for a future reef tank?

There are the T5, MH, and LED.....

I just don't know what to turn on and when.

Thanks for the help!

CKM

Hello,

I'm in the process of cycling my new Cadlights 39G aquarium. What is the best light cycle to use for this tank for a future reef tank?

Just think aout the environment you are trying to replicate. Natural reefs are close to the equator so the natural daylight period is ~12 hours. So your actinics might be set for a 12 hour period. But the sun is not directly overhead for those 12 hours. So you might want your hallides on for 8-10 hours per day.

Then the LED, which is supposed to mimic moonlight, will come on after the actinics and hallides turn off. Some people seem to leave them on for 12 hours but in real life you do not have a full moon and cloudless sky for 365 days a year.

Basically the more water you put in the tank only really affects the back area water height. The overflow slots allow more gph flow than the return pump flows. So the front display really only stays at one height (this is not 100% true the display level does go up and down alittle but it's no where near as much as it will go up in the back).

If your worried about noise, just raise the water level. pour some more in. the difference on my tank is about an inch front to back, and the overflow is silent.

Basically the more water you put in the tank only really affects the back area water height. The overflow slots allow more gph flow than the return pump flows. So the front display really only stays at one height (this is not 100% true the display level does go up and down alittle but it's no where near as much as it will go up in the back).

If your worried about noise, just raise the water level. pour some more in. the difference on my tank is about an inch front to back, and the overflow is silent.

That clears it up a lot bro. Thanks.

I'm so EXCITED to pour water in, but then I am reluctant because I am afraid of needing to mod.

I have a mag 7 there. Did you find any trouble w/ fitment of the return/ I had to trim the hose as the tension positioned the pump awkwardly.

I'm only running the stock 400GPH pump. The mag 7 is 700gph? Honestly taking water out of the tank is super easy. Just add more water slowly, if you start to run into problems stop and take some out.

Archived