Cultivated Reef

CADLIGHTS OWNERS CLUB THREAD!

Belatube

WOW that is really nice. the SPS is so beautiful in there. that sunpod is doing an awesome job for that tank. do you have any heat problems at all with the HQI light on the 22G? is the open top helping to keep the tank cool?

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just had to stop this thread momentarily to point this out. That's a mod ?

You put in a different pump MacGyver...

Just noticed this one, but yes it's a mod. I modified the original setup of the tank return system. Sure I *only* swapped out pumps, but it's a mod no less, to the tank itself. <_< Thanks for the observancy though.

Scotty, the tank looks nice! B)

Thanks Phixion i know the pic looks really dark and blue but i had to set the sutter speed of my camera really fast so my tank wouldnt look washed out.

also i need to find if they are any 22 gallon mods for my tank does any one have any?

Obsessed Reefer

Scotty,

How do you like the setup of the 22G. I'm looking for a new tank, and I'm trying to decide between the 22G or the 30G finnex. The one thing that the finnex has over the cad, are square corners. But they are both glass, which I do like better than acrylic. Have you had any troubles with it yet?

And one more thing to anyone, what is C.A.D's website??? I can't find it anywhere.

Edit: Also, what comes with the tank, like what type of pump? Does a heater come with it?

Obsessed, CAD's website is: http://cadlights.com/ B)

Both are good choices. The Finnex is 8g bigger, and includes a skimmer for a $50 lower price (I'm comparing to the 6x24w full refugium 22g CAD model). Of course many will say the skimmer is crap, and compared to something like an ASM, that's not far off assessment. But it DOES work and will skim well with proper break-in and patience in fine tuning it. So those that say it doesn't work, either has never used it or didn't take the time to dial it in. ;) The CAD comes with a 400gph pump, and as far as I know, the RSM is the only tank that includes a heater with it. It's better to get your own really anyways than to be stuck with a cheap built0in one that will crap out on you in no time flat.

With that said, the CAD has the advantage of the single pane 3-sided curved front, as well as a 6 bulb T5 setup for 144w of total lighting. Both are great tanks, I'd still go with the Finnex though personally as it has the skimmer and it's larger as well as including all of that at a cheaper price of course. As for the main pump, if you calculate it out, while the CAD pump is less powerful, it still gives the tank a 2-3x turnover rate edge. The Finnex will have a 15.8x turnover while the CAD is 18x turnover (calculate pump flow rate in gph divided by tank size in gallons). Really I see it as a draw here with no tank being "better" than the other. Eitherway you'll end up with a good quality product. :)

Obsessed Reefer

Dude. I swear. I tried every combination of cad lighting lights and what not, could not get the site, and got no results in google. Thanks.

Yea. The big issue for me, is price. I will have enough for this, but then the rock, and the water. I only have one 5 gallon jug, and I would need to buy more, to fill it up, because my lfs doesn't have jugs I can borrow for the initial fill up. My other big issue with price, is the lighting. I was looking at T5, but if they dont have individual reflectors, I dont want it. I was also looking at HQI/T5 combo, but it looks to be to wide for the tank. sigh. Maybe I should go standard.

well i love my CAD tank and what Phixion said is true about the pump but i changed it ViaAqua VA2600 which gives 33X turn over aprox 740gph. the one and only down side is the display width it only 9" from the back panel to the front glass but in turn you get a pretty big fuge for all the stuff you put in the back of the tank other than that i couldnt be happier

I think you can get a lightless CAD tank. I know you can with Finnex. Go that route, then spend about $220 it is on a Current-USA Sundial 4x24w T5 fixture, it has individual reflectors. :) Also get a couple 5g buckets from Home Depot, then water problem solved when filling up the tank and W/C's as well. I have 4 myself that I keep handy.

Oh and on google, I just typed in "cadlights" as one word, brought them up as the first listing. ;)

Obsessed Reefer

I think I was trying cad lighting or something like that.... ya know what, leave me alone. I had 2 hours of sleep, and have to work in 2 hours. And I was looking at the lightless tank, then getting the sundial, but would 4 bulbs be enough for that depth? That's the one good thing about MH, it can penetrate the depth of the tank, with T5 giving actinic supp.

EDTI: Also, how much sand do you have in your 22G? 20 lbs?

Obsessed Reefer

Got ya. Hmm. I think I'm not gonna get a cad tank. After looking through some threads, there's not a lot of display room.

llo, just messing with ya' man. :P

4 bulbs is fine. I have 4 on my Finnex 30g and it dows fine, ai added reflectors to mine thoughon the daylights so that made a differance. But MH only has penetration at depth in a limited area, where T5 will pretty much not leave any corner of the bottom unlit. T5 is also more intense at the surface (with reflectors) than MH in many cases...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys just decided to update some of the latest from CADlights. i received an email of the 39G being finished and ready for sale again with some cool new stuff. how is everyones CAD tanks doing? heres what i got from them in the mail:

Dear Hobbyists and Friends,

The 39G Signature and Pro systems are almost finished and we are now taking pre-orders for them. they are the same design as the last batch with all the features that are proven to be most effective for a thriving and vibrant reef. all the favorites such as the 100G Pin-wheel skimmer, drop-in UV, cooling fan, Furniture quality diamond mitered edges, 8MM thick glass,LEDHO, built-in ballast, 150WHQI and many more components that exceed industry standards have not been left out. now with a new addition of the 100% Cell-Cast Acrylic direct line Auto Top-off system which hooks up to your RODI unit to automatically top-off your aquarium without the need for a reservoir.

The ATO is fully compatible with our previous batch of 39G Signature and PRO packages and hooks up perfectly in the refugium or pump chamber. it is fully adjustable and can be simply adjusted in height at anytime.

*All pre-orders will include the ATO for Free.

*All prior customers of the 39G Signature and PRO systems will be able to purchase the ATO at manufacturers cost at $19.99 (you must include your name and order # to qualify for this special offer) one per customer please.

We will be available for any service or questions you may have regarding any of our products from Monday-Friday between 10AM-8PM.

39G Signature Series

http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?...products_id=116

39G Professional Series

http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?...products_id=119

(NEW) 22G High Output now has 4 X 24W 96W total W/ Individual relfectors to maximize the lighting while saving energy (same brightness as our previous 6 bulb strip).

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Chris Martin

Cadlighting Co.

Sales Manager

some pics of this sweet set-up:

front

39G%20Signature%20009.jpg

back

39G%20Signature%20007.jpg

39G PRO

39G%20Pro%20profile.jpg

what do you guys think of the new CAD systems? anyone Pre-order one yet! Pros and Cons? any new features you guys would love to see?

WindCloudWRX

How much water is evaporated on these 35-39 gallon tanks?

And is the light fixture standing hinges sturdy? I am thinking of picking one of these up.

i lose about 3 gallons of water every week about with the lights turned on for 7 hours a day. great choice you will love this tank!

And is the light fixture standing hinges sturdy? I am thinking of picking one of these up.

Remember that evap is ambient temp dependant, NOT so much tank size dependant. I have a 30g tank and lose over 5g due to evap a week! I'm filling up my 5 gallon ATO bucket every 3-5 days. 3g a week on the CAD tank is pretty good, but I have pretty high ambient temps too. I wouldn't base the decision on this tank on the evap rate, as it'll vary greatly in 2 identicle tanks placed in different places. ;)

WindCloudWRX
Remember that evap is ambient temp dependant, NOT so much tank size dependant. I have a 30g tank and lose over 5g due to evap a week! I'm filling up my 5 gallon ATO bucket every 3-5 days. 3g a week on the CAD tank is pretty good, but I have pretty high ambient temps too. I wouldn't base the decision on this tank on the evap rate, as it'll vary greatly in 2 identicle tanks placed in different places. ;)

I guess what I meant to say was for a general estimate. I am thinking about an auto top off off from a resoirvour but have heard some horror stories about it lol. My understanding is it's much like a toilet bowl tank method? When it dips, it triggers the pump and it fills it back up, and when it float, it shuts off the pump? lol

PHIXION,

What types of lights do you run? And do you think a canopy or cover affects it? I read evap is actually the tank cooling down.

I had big tanks before, but felt that I had to fill up too quick too soon. I hope to run 150 HQI w/ PCs and pick up that new 39 gallon.

Obsessed Reefer

DUDE!!! INDIVIDUAL REFLECTORS ON THE 22G!!!! AWESOME!!! I MIGHT HAVE TO GET IT NOW!!!

(I never do CLF, so that was my own version, CLT)

But that's sweet that they added some stuff. I really have to reconsider this now. I know that the display isn't very deep, but I don't plan on overstocking it.

I guess what I meant to say was for a general estimate. I am thinking about an auto top off off from a resoirvour but have heard some horror stories about it lol. My understanding is it's much like a toilet bowl tank method? When it dips, it triggers the pump and it fills it back up, and when it float, it shuts off the pump? lol

PHIXION,

What types of lights do you run? And do you think a canopy or cover affects it? I read evap is actually the tank cooling down.

I had big tanks before, but felt that I had to fill up too quick too soon. I hope to run 150 HQI w/ PCs and pick up that new 39 gallon.

Evap is indeed the tank (or water) cooling down, one of the most efficient ways actually. ATO is a grand idea, I have one on my tank and have never looked back since.

On my tank I'm running 4x24w T5HOs with individual reflectors. A canopy might not help as it'll have a tendancy to trap in heat which will do one of two things, either raise your tank temps up a bit, or cause even more evap to occur since again the rate of evap is relative to the tank temp to ambient temp or something along those lines. I have glass covers that came with my tank, but I never use them except in the winter when I want to keep more heat in.

thats true, the evaporation of a tank has many factors that contribute to it like ambient temp, aquarium temp and others. it really depends on where you have your tank. my CAD 39G Sig loses about 4 (8 hours a day) gallons/week but if i turn the lights on less i lose 2 or so.

yeah i read up on the 22G also and its cool with the new individual reflectors and LEDHO moonlights. that thing is going to be kicking!

cant wait to see some of these new packages being set up here.

WindCloudWRX

During summers, my room is quite hot, especially noonish, about 85 or so. I have to have the A/C because it's too hot. lol

But over all, temp is about 80-88 I would say in the summer and what not. I plan on going w/ the HQIs so I will see.

I'm really thinking hard on the 39. lol

Thanks guys.

WindCloudWRX

anybody got a picutre of jus the skimmer itself and know if it can be taken out to clean?

also , does anyone know the pump on iot?

During summers, my room is quite hot, especially noonish, about 85 or so. I have to have the A/C because it's too hot. lol

But over all, temp is about 80-88 I would say in the summer and what not. I plan on going w/ the HQIs so I will see.

I'm really thinking hard on the 39. lol

Thanks guys.

Then you'll definitely get the evaporation rates I'm getting on my tank, especially with the fan that the Sig series comes with. My ambient temps are in the 80's as well... =/

WindCloudWRX
Then you'll definitely get the evaporation rates I'm getting on my tank, especially with the fan that the Sig series comes with. My ambient temps are in the 80's as well... =/

I will own one VERY SOON. Trying to get the kinks worked out. lol..

The skimmer has had good reviews they said. Hope peeps can chime in.

I don't have a pic of the 39g skimmer by itself but it certainly can be taken out for cleaning very easily. I just did mine over the weekend.

Archived