Top Shelf Aquatics

CADLIGHTS OWNERS CLUB THREAD!

Belatube

supreme_spork
thanks supreme i never really knew what exactly the HQI meant either except that its not the big screw in bulbs.

yep -- HQI ballasts work with DE bulbs (doubled-ended). the big screw-in types are "mogul" bulbs.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most LFSs will trash something that probably sells better than what they sell themself. ;) CADs are far from garbage. They are one of the best AIOs around, but only authorized places can sell them, same with Finnex. Now I'm not sure of how the stock CAD pump looks, but I know for a fact (after being the first to do the mod myself) that the Rio 14HF pump is almost identicle in dimensions and looks to the stock Finnex main pump, which is 475gph thus giving a nearly plug and play upgrade with it. The Rio 14HF is rated at 840gph which in the Finnex would give you 28x turnover, so it's very close to the 30x you're trying to achieve. In the CAD 39g that pump would give you a 21-22x turnover, which is far better than stock. Honestly I feel that both companies (CAD and Finnex) skimp out on the pumps used. Stock is just not adaquate enough. Maybe it'll be improved in v3 of either tanks. ;)

man that turn over rate sure sounds a bit scary tho. isnt it not so good to flow so much water through the refugium? im scared of noise because i have it right in my living room. i showed my LFS my tank and they were very impressed with it. hopefully they will start to carry their products!

thats so true what you say about stores calling any products crap just because they cant sell them or is not familiar with them.

That's the sdvantage of the Finnex. The "T" pipe design off the main pump that diverts flow to the fuge. It has a regulation valve so you can control how much or how little flow goes through it. ;)

man that turn over rate sure sounds a bit scary tho. isnt it not so good to flow so much water through the refugium? im scared of noise because i have it right in my living room. i showed my LFS my tank and they were very impressed with it. hopefully they will start to carry their products!

thats so true what you say about stores calling any products crap just because they cant sell them or is not familiar with them.

I personally think that might is a little bit too much flow especially if you plan to utilize the refugium. For a refugium to be truly effective slower flow rates are nescessary to accomplish its goal. Thats one reason why i took the stock pump out of my tank and replaced it with a maxijet 1200. As a result the fuge chamber of my cad is filled to the top with cheato and pods are literally all over the fuge walls.

Most LFSs will trash something that probably sells better than what they sell themself. ;) CADs are far from garbage. They are one of the best AIOs around, but only authorized places can sell them, same with Finnex. Now I'm not sure of how the stock CAD pump looks, but I know for a fact (after being the first to do the mod myself) that the Rio 14HF pump is almost identicle in dimensions and looks to the stock Finnex main pump, which is 475gph thus giving a nearly plug and play upgrade with it. The Rio 14HF is rated at 840gph which in the Finnex would give you 28x turnover, so it's very close to the 30x you're trying to achieve. In the CAD 39g that pump would give you a 21-22x turnover, which is far better than stock. Honestly I feel that both companies (CAD and Finnex) skimp out on the pumps used. Stock is just not adaquate enough. Maybe it'll be improved in v3 of either tanks. ;)
Phixon.....I just read your entire 30 gallon Finnex thread...quite impressive I really like the mod you did with the stock pump 48x turnover is SICK...anyway I'm just curious if you think that's overkill or is it really keeping your cyano at bay. I ask this b/c I've decided on the NEW cad when tax time comes around and was always planning on a tunze nano...but if I need a bigger pump then I need a bigger budget (geez something else in this hobby costing money noooo)...just curious as to what you would say you would want as to how many GPH in a 39 gallon CAD.Rehype do you know what style maxi jet is going to be needed in the new 39 gallon if I want to upgrade and was it allot of work for you to upgrade your or was it basically drop and play.
.Rehype do you know what style maxi jet is going to be needed in the new 39 gallon if I want to upgrade and was it allot of work for you to upgrade your or was it basically drop and play.

The pump is drop and play.The largest maxijet available is the 1200 if im not mistaken.My recommendation is not to worry so much about the return pump but the water movement you have in the main display portion of the tank. I have 2 tunze 6025 on a random and oscillating setting through my acjr.. It creates periods of turbulent,medium, and calm flow. All of which contributes to healthy water movement(No dead Spots). Which in turn is probably why i havent seen cyano since i adjusted them this way.(My fuge helps alot as well)HTH

Ryhpe took the words out of my mouth. The main pump is mostly for filtration purposes, and not so much for water movement in the display. At first I thought he was crazy for swapping out to an MJ1200, but it actually makes good sense. A Tunze or two should be plenty fine for display flow. I'd say 30-35x turnover would be good. 48x like I have isn't really that bad. Some corals such as SPS actually prefer and/or require high rates of flow to survive. A friend of mine (also on this board) at one point was churning out 100x turnover in his 24g tank! It was insane, but all the SPS he had loved it!

I don't believe lots of flow is keeping my cyano at bay, but rather getting the flow to all corners of the tank is the key.

Good luck with the CAD 39g, that'll be a nice tank for sure!!

thanks guys...now I"m conviced of buying the ACjr...ahh what's another hundred or so. What would your recommendations be for PH's is Tunze a good brand if so what series would you recommend (ie would two nano's do the trick) Again thanks for all the help...everyone on this board is really nice and I appreciate it...I don't even have the tank yet and you all are very helpful. Can't wait till I can share some pics but bills come before a tank unfortuntily...but I am putting off buying a new car.

thanks guys...now I"m conviced of buying the ACjr...ahh what's another hundred or so. What would your recommendations be for PH's is Tunze a good brand if so what series would you recommend (ie would two nano's do the trick) Again thanks for all the help...everyone on this board is really nice and I appreciate it...I don't even have the tank yet and you all are very helpful. Can't wait till I can share some pics but bills come before a tank unfortuntily...but I am putting off buying a new car.

I have 2 tunzes 6025's. They're awesome but were a little pricey.You could also go with the koralia nano. Ive heard good things about them. If your going to go with the tunze you might want to look at the larger 6055's.HTH

phixion...is the mod difficult if not then how would I go about doing it..keeping in my mind that I am defanitly not a typical DIY reefer.

phixion...is the mod difficult if not then how would I go about doing it..keeping in my mind that I am defanitly not a typical DIY reefer.

Here ya go

Hey, I'm fairly new my 1st tank is 4 months old and im wondering what people do to their 12 gallon tanks. And what kinda corals work under the lighting? i tried a long tenticle plate coral in there and it died and im not sure why, all i know is the water was fine. im guessing it was too much flow. Since then i bought a directional snake thing and it seems better. As of now i have some zoas and shrooms. Would a hammer work in there ya think or just soft corals?

Side story: I had my first light go out about a month ago, one of the whites. I figure ill order 2 more whites and a blue so next time ill have a backup on hand. so i order them and i got 3 blues so i email the cad guy and hes like sorry ill send the 2 whites to ya for free and i get 1 white and another blue....at that point i was like forget it lol....Does anywhere else sell 11inch t5 bulbs? i have 4 backup actinics but no whites.

Hi all,

I've got the 22g CADlights tank that I've just started to set up in my apartment! I'm pretty pleased with it so far, although the silicone on the tank is really very sloppy. Anyone else who has this model care to share how you placed your equipment in the three chambers in the back? I'm thinking LR rubble/chaeto in the large chamber and placing my heater/etc. where the bioballs used to be...

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! (I feel so special.)

I'm really interested in the new 39g cube and will probably pre-order one soon, has anyone heard any specifics on if the LEDs are on a seperate power cord on this version's light? I'd like to control the LED moon cycle with the Aquacontroller Jr's add-on lunar controller if possible, or at least have them on a reverse timer from the actinics

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the 12 Gallon since August. Great tank. My lights have all burnt out since then. The first two went out after only one month. The bulbs look pretty cheap. I spoke to eddie, who said e would replace them and it has been 4 months and many emails. He keeps apologizing and yet still no bulbs.

Don't expect the greatest customer service....but the tanks are great.

I exchanged the pump for a maxijet 1200 and also added a Korillia nano for more flow. I'm using a Tunze protein skimmer as well. The tank is doing great.

but I know for a fact (after being the first to do the mod myself) that the Rio 14HF pump is almost identicle in dimensions and looks to the stock Finnex main pump

I just had to stop this thread momentarily to point this out. That's a mod ?

You put in a different pump MacGyver...

Right folks if you don't mind I have a question on the CADlights lights. Do I go with the CAD lights or go with a 150w MH HQI, PC, LED Outer Orbit by Current? What do you guys think?

Thank you.

UH

Given those two options, I'd go for the Outer Orbit.

The Outer Orbit will have much better resale value if you decide to sell it, and Current USA has enough volume to be able to keep fixtures and parts in stock if you need warranty work.

If it were me, I'd hang an ATI Powermodule, but it's not in the same price range as the cadlights and outer orbit fixtures.

• 4 months later...
scottyreef

here is my CADlight 22 Gallon Mixed SPS reef

22 gallon cadlight nano

24lbs Live rock

150watt 14000k sunpod

4 -Hydor Koralia Nano's

Macro Alage (cheato)

Ultralife Float Switch and Aqualifter Pump (ATO)

dual head peristaltic dosing pump )

Tunze Skimmer Nano Doc 9002

1/15HP JBJ Arctica Nano Chillers

items in rear compartment

Seachem Purigen

Seachem SeaGel

Boyd Chemi Pure Elite

IMG_0999.jpg

Archived