Cultivated Reef

CADLIGHTS OWNERS CLUB THREAD!

Belatube

supreme_spork
Let me ask you guys a question......I was going to go with the CADLIGHTS 34 gallon signature series...however I've asked around and was told I would be better off with a RSM instead. What one would you guys buy if you had to do it again....their both about the same money (if you don't count stands and starter kits) I want to start a tank probably after I pay off my credit cards after I get my tax money....but I would like to know some people's opinions. Also I may be getting a job at a LFS here in RI they sell the RSM and I could probably get an employee discount if I get the job. Thanks guys much appreciated.

RSM is for people who don't ever intend to do any mods and who are happy with modest lighting -- it's probably the most complete end-to-end fully-architected solution out there, and as such it's very difficult to make any changes or additions. It's also probably the most attractive AIO out there IMO, largely due to the tightly managed component integration. It's a tradeoff -- you get something without a ton of exposed wires but you give-up expandability down the road.

I've complained quite a bit about my CAD 34g and the low quality components that came with it -- but the tank itself has a great footprint and I might buy it again, but I'd make sure to get name-brand lighting, skimmer and pumps since the chinese generics CAD bundles don't have any safety or reliability data available online and aren't UL certified -- note that this might change after the update CAD's doing to address the problems with the former tanks, but as with any new model it would probably be prudent to wait and let other people try it out first. :). I'd say that half of us on n-r.com who have the CAD tank think it was a waste of money, but the other half thinks it's awesome. Typical internet distribution.

If I was just starting out again with my latest tank, I would not do an AIO again but rather find the tank I loved and build a system around it. When all is said and done, this AIO at the end of the day has been no simpler than my last DIY project. :P

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the response guys.....once the new and improved CAD comes out I'll have to wait and see if I can find some reviews on it...or email Eddie and see if there are any problems that are going to be known. I like the layout of the Cad too as far as upgradability. Right away I've heard the pump isn't powerful enough so I was already thinking of getting a koralife (I think that's the name) pump. I do like the fact that it comes with a fuge and the RSM doesn't have one. Also it has the built in UV sterilzer...any opinions on that...I"ve heard mixed things about them?

supreme_spork
Also it has the built in UV sterilzer...any opinions on that...I"ve heard mixed things about them?

the UV sterilizer that came with my CAD signature series is unshielded -- meaning you do serious damage to your eyes if you look directly at it when it's out of water (there was a warning on the box to this effect), but it doesn't need a pump to move water through it. i wasn't able to find a single UV sterilizer on the market that didn't have an outer shielding and so i would be very wary of using the unshielded one that came with CAD (i threw mine away).

Its more a matter a personal preference, I think Cadlights look alot nicer then the RSM, are easier to mod since the chambers are exposed so things can stick out of them such as skimmers, and the open tops are better for heat escape.

+1 If i had to do it all again id still go with cad. RSM is a fantastic system but Cad gives you alot of room to make changes(lights,Pumps,skimmers,refugium,fans) I was torn between the 2 at first but after weighing the pros and cons im glad i wentwith cad. I also agree with spork on cad taking care of some of the serious issues that came up on the previous 34 gallon model(Fortunately i didnt experience any of those issues on my tank)

another question for you guys...I just went bananas filling up a shopping cart on Marine Depot and the total came to about 300. What if any Mods would you do immediately to the CAD. I've heard a pump so I got a new air pump in my shopping cart. Also I've heard the flow rate is less than desirable so I included a Hydor Korlia (I think that's how you spell it.) But I don't know if this is what needs to be upgraded or it the lights on the Signature series needs to be upgraded. I mean I don't want to buy this tank and then have to upgrade everything 3 months down the line, (unlike computers which are obsolete as soon as they hit shelves) Anywhoo any advice would be appreciated. BTW I don't want you to think I'm made of money things that need to get done will get done according to how important they are (ie I"m not getting that neptune controller for quite some time)

another question for you guys...I just went bananas filling up a shopping cart on Marine Depot and the total came to about 300. What if any Mods would you do immediately to the CAD. I've heard a pump so I got a new air pump in my shopping cart. Also I've heard the flow rate is less than desirable so I included a Hydor Korlia (I think that's how you spell it.) But I don't know if this is what needs to be upgraded or it the lights on the Signature series needs to be upgraded. I mean I don't want to buy this tank and then have to upgrade everything 3 months down the line, (unlike computers which are obsolete as soon as they hit shelves) Anywhoo any advice would be appreciated. BTW I don't want you to think I'm made of money things that need to get done will get done according to how important they are (ie I"m not getting that neptune controller for quite some time)

My first question is are you getting the 34 gallon cadlight signature series or or are you getting the updated 39 gallon model thats being released in febuary?

Is it 39 now....wow....yea I'll probably just end up saving up for that. I'm no where near ready to buy a tank so please don't feel like you have to post back just yet...you can always PVT msg me. Where can I find out info on the new 39 would you call them or is their another website other than Cadlights.com?

Is it 39 now....wow....yea I'll probably just end up saving up for that. I'm no where near ready to buy a tank so please don't feel like you have to post back just yet...you can always PVT msg me. Where can I find out info on the new 39 would you call them or is their another website other than Cadlights.com?

Cad 39 gallon

Rehype...thank you so much for your post....I just read the boards and put my pre pre oder in with Eddie (I told him I probably won't be ready to order till tax time but I couldn't let this pass me by). I'm really excited about this new tank and can't wait till I actually physically have it...I got CAD fever.

Also to Supreme_spork one question...if you didn't use the standard UV sterilizer what one did you use...I was just reading about how one that is manufactured by coraline which is 9w is this the one you use? If so how hard (or easy) was the one you bought to install.

One last question (sorry for taking up so much of your time guys) what if any mods did you do to your cads when you got them (ie lights, pumps) I'm not made of money so that neptune controller will have to wait for a year or so.

One last question (sorry for taking up so much of your time guys) what if any mods did you do to your cads when you got them (ie lights, pumps) I'm not made of money so that neptune controller will have to wait for a year or so.

Dont apologize thats what this thread is for :grouphug: Glad i could be of help. Being that your going to get the new model you probably wont have to upgrade anything.All of the complaints we had im sure eddie over at cadlights has addressed them. I had to do a mod to add functional moonlights to my fixture. I also swapped out my return pump with a maxijet. Less flow but more reliable. But thats about it.HTH

Hey guys just to let you know Eddie is taking orders for the new 39 gallon with only a minimal downpayment of 100 to put it on hold...then when they come out in January you will get the new one for the same price as the 34 gallon...next post I"ll include the email that Eddie sent me so you guys can see for yourselves. This is waaaay off topic but does anyone know why I"m not getting my immediate email alerts...I have everything set up right but I never seem to get them in my inbox and their not marked as spam or anything just odd that's all.Hi, AnthonyThanks. The new 39G is actually the 34G tank but through the course ofre-designing the new 34G model we have added lots of features to it. theonly way we were able to fit everything in there was to make the tankbigger. it features a new improved refugium system, larger pump, 100G airinjected protein skimmer all the old features and more.If you would like to place a pre-order you may do so even before thepre-order date of January 10th. you have to order it by phone since wedont have it listed on the website yet. once you place the order, we willonly charge $100 to confirm it. we will charge the remaining balance inthe end of January when they ship out. you will only pay the old 34Gprice.Thank you, please let me know if you need any further assistance.Eddie

>> Hey Eddie,> I just read on nano-reef.com that you are coming out with a brand new> "secret" 39 gallon tank. I was planning on buying the 34 gallon signature> series when I had the money but I heard I can lock in the price of the 39> if I pre-pre order. I really like the design, and the filtration methods> of the 34 so I'm assuming the 39 would be just as good. Also I like the> fact that you put a bigger pump into it. I probably won't have the money> until tax time but I would like to throw my name in the ring for a pre> order if that's at all possible. I know we had spoke at some point over> the last year and you were very informative and all the reviews I read> about the CAD are very good and your customer service dept is excellent> from what I've read. So to me this purchase is a no brainer. If it> requires a down payment let me know and I will try to get the money> together. Can't wait to hear from you.>>>> Sincerely,> Anthony A Mucci.

I only hear good things about this Eddie, and how he replaces things no problem. I am just wondering why they don't look over the tanks and fire up the ballasts B4 shipping out the tanks? I have heard so many horror stories from CAD owners having to ship things back. I hope all the new CAD buyers don't have the same problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys the new 39G Signature is finally available but only pre-orders. i ordered mine on Monday but here is the information on the new Signature series tank:

39G Signature series system

This newly designed, complete all-in-one system is truly innovative. It was tailored while keeping the reef hobbyist in mind. Is bigger better? Yes, it definitely is and this is our largest nano all-in-one system. Our 39G system is also the largest in the industry. It is guaranteed to be the highest quality. We have taken the previous Signature and modified it with lots of new features. The latest Signature series now has a newly developed refugium, which skims directly from the tank. It can be controlled to allow the speed of intake that is most preferable to the fuge animals of your choice. Also updated is our latest pin-wheel high volume design protein skimmer that is included in all of our large systems. All of the previous features are still included like the Cooling fan unit, UV sterilizer, Wave making nozzle, Loc-Line returns, and Cell-cast acrylic background. It now comes with a larger 500GPH pump.

The most innovative design of the new Signature series is our HQI, LED-HO, T5HO lighting system. The lighting system of the Signature series is a 150W HQI surrounded by parabolic reflectors, HO T5 actinics, LED (High Output) moonlights. Our model is designed to have separate circuits and wires for individual timer settings. The most innovative feature of this lighting system is that it utilizes the latest internal ballast technology, having no external ballasts. Also, we have fitted the light unit with a heavy duty gauge aluminum casing and water resistant finishing for durable and long lasting use.

The new 39 gallon tank now has a larger volume, giving extra room for filtration and a more spacious display area. This new tank has more customized high end features, much like the previous model. Our goal was continuing to streamline our seamless design, while enhancing other features. The tank offers our Signature furniture style, mitered edges and extra thick glass, measuring 8mm thickness, all of which are above industry standards.

Features

* TANK DIMENSIONS: (L)24" x (W)20" x (H)20".

*150w 14,000k with 2 x 24w Actinics supplements

* (2) ) LED-HO 2 watt moonlights.

*Full size direct-skim refugium on back. Does not include refugium substrate.

*Comes in black Cell-Cast acrylic background.

* Refugium Dimensions (L)23" x (W)5" x (H)19.5".

* Tank mounts.

* PC light strip for refugium.

* Signature Polished and mitred edges with Extra thick 8mm thick glass.

* Seamless curved front panel.

* Professional HQI, T5HO, LED-HO lighting system featuring our internal ballast technology.

* separate circuits and switches for complete automatic and manual control for each T5 bulb, LED-HO system and Halide lights. Easily compatible with all kinds of timers.

*100G Professional pin-wheel protein skimmer.

*6W Drop-in Ultra violet sterilizer.

*70G cooling unit.

*360 degree wave making return nozzle.

*Glass Canopy comes standard.

NOW TAKING PRE-ORDERS FOR FEBRUARY 5TH SHIPPING. ALL PRE-ORDERS WILL HAVE THE INTRODUCTORY RATE OF $694.99 UNTIL FEBRUARY 5TH.

NO CHILLER NEEDED!

dont know about you guys, but i am definitely excited to have mine asap! this time i am going CORALS WITH THIS SWEET TANK!

OK hopefully I won't get kicked off the site for this but I have to ask you CAD owners a question and I hope you don't get mad. I"ve known about the new tank for about a half a month know b/c I contacted Eddie directly...really nice guy and everything I read about him just reinforeces that statement. However as far as tanks go....well to be honest I was thinking of going with the Finnex M tank 240 MH AGA 30 gallon..I know it's not as big but as far as being able to upgrade the tank (ie stock pump, lights) what would you guys do....I just want to make sure that when I do buy my tank I get the best that I can afford. 9 gallons to me is signifigent but in all honesty I don't know what CAD has over the Finnex tanks. If someone could nicely point out the pros or cons of owning a cad vs a finnex I would be very appreciative.

Just a quick opinion on the lighting - the CAD 150's are more than enough for that size tank. I have the 34 gallon and I wouldn't even want more light.Oh, and one more thing - 9 gallons is a huge amount of extra water in a small system. My 34 is modified - I had them drill the tank so that I have a refugium/sump under the tank - a separate 20 gallon tank. I bought a stand from PetCo for a 70-90 gallon tank so I would have room for the sump and storage.

OK hopefully I won't get kicked off the site for this but I have to ask you CAD owners a question and I hope you don't get mad. I"ve known about the new tank for about a half a month know b/c I contacted Eddie directly...really nice guy and everything I read about him just reinforeces that statement. However as far as tanks go....well to be honest I was thinking of going with the Finnex M tank 240 MH AGA 30 gallon..I know it's not as big but as far as being able to upgrade the tank (ie stock pump, lights) what would you guys do....I just want to make sure that when I do buy my tank I get the best that I can afford. 9 gallons to me is signifigent but in all honesty I don't know what CAD has over the Finnex tanks. If someone could nicely point out the pros or cons of owning a cad vs a finnex I would be very appreciative.

Wheres phix when you need him?

supreme_spork

I got mail from Eddie yesterday and it's heartening to see that CAD has [seemingly] made a good effort to address the short-comings of the previous systems. If they've truly raised the quality of components and have made real gains in their lighting design, safety and reliability profile, you'd be hard-pressed to get a better tank.

That said, it never pays to be an early adopter -- if you can wait a few more months, you can talk to people who rushed out to be the first on their blocks with the new tank. :)

well the first things about the new CAD that i think will be better than the finnex and the previous 34G Signature.

lighting: i think the new light is better with internal ballasts, LED-HO (not 100% sure of the LED differences but Eddie says that the LED-HO's are like the kinds that are in the Solaris). better construction. he assured me that the new light has 3 separate wires for one timer per light system. 250W is too much for a nano tank in my opinion.

Filtration: 500gph, controlled refugium with surface skimmer, UV sterilizer, wet-dry compartment (i fill it with padding and its awesome).

Style: thats one thing i know the Finnex cant touch the CAD tanks on, the CAD tanks look so much nicer. the filtration area even though it has more stuff now is a bit smaller too and 9 gallons more is a huge difference.

Skimmer: i have the current 34G protein skimmer that Finnex uses as well and the new one is much better with pin-wheel (CAD says that the pin-wheel allow more air:water compared to the current venturi skimmer).

Cabinets: CAD cabinets look much nicer and esppecially the real cherry wood cabinet. i saw a Finnex cabinet in person and it looks pretty much like any other pressed board cabinets, kinda cheap.

i bought the Black cabinet because my office has black carpet, but if i was to put it at home i would get the cherry.

If a pin-wheel skimmer and new 500gph pump are part of the package, then the CAD is probably the better deal right now. But Finnex will always eclipse CAD in the budget realm. The Finnex tanks are far cheaper in price, and you get a lot more bang for your buck. The 250w MH option Finnex 30g tank was still $100 cheaper than the 1st gen CAD 34g Signature. And if you have lots of high end SPS and clams, then 250MH is NOT too much for a nano. I know people that use 175 Iwaski bulb MH setups (250w PAR equivalent) on 24g tanks and others that have used (and still do) 250w MH AP24's and neither ones are looking back to downgrade. It just all depends on what you plan on having in your tank. 250w is overkill for the typical reefer though. But with the tank design (single 3 side main glass) of the CAD, beating Finnex's prices will be extremely hard if not impossible to acheive. Price alone is what sold me on my Finnex 30g, along with the fact that at the time, the 25g was the largest CAD offered, and the Finnex included the skimmer which the CAD did not. The CAD 25g then with 144w (6x24w) T5 lighting was $20 more than the Finnex.

Thanks guys.....I didn't think that there was that much difference in the lighting but if your telling me it's more like a solaris then that's a big deal to me. While again it's not 250 and it does put some limitations as to what I can get I think I'll be happier with a bigger tank. Plus I"ve always liked the fact that their on seperate circuits making it much easier to put stuff on timers. I was unsure if the pin wheel design was better than the venturi version on the Finnex, but if your saying it is then I'll believe you. I am defanitly going to have to wait to buy one and probably will pay the "new" price of I think it was 795...which is OK becuase I was planning on spending about 2K to get started anyway. It's just a matter of saving up and also I have to pay off my credit cards first. Right now I'm out of work so I have zero disposable income. I guess I've become a CAD believer again. Also as far as upgrades on the CAD do you guys think that if I add a tunze nano PH that would be enough flow with the 500 gph pump...I"m looking for about 30x turnover. Plus do you guys think the lights would be able to be upgraded to a 250 MH somwhere down the line....I"m sorry I have so many questions but you guys are probably better to ask than my LFS who said "CADLIGHTS are garbage" LOL...obviously not the brightest bulb in the socket.

OK lighting question time...if you don't mind...I know that actinics are 2x24 (still haven't figured out what the means) and their T5 bulbs. I know what an LED light is (don't know what LED HO is) Defanitly have no idea what HQI is. Is it similiar to MH better/worse. Also I know their is a category of bulbs called HO VHO but not sure what the lights on the CAD would fall under is that the 2x24 actinicis. Also I know what a power compact is on the refugium...I know I sound pretty stupid in this post but I want to clarify for myself any misconceptions and I really don't get lighting that much...all the books I"ve read only really talk about T5, and Metal Halides. So not sure what the other categories are. Thanks for any help or info you can "shine" on the subject

-Tony.

supreme_spork
OK lighting question time...if you don't mind...I know that actinics are 2x24 (still haven't figured out what the means) and their T5 bulbs. I know what an LED light is (don't know what LED HO is) Defanitly have no idea what HQI is. Is it similiar to MH better/worse. Also I know their is a category of bulbs called HO VHO but not sure what the lights on the CAD would fall under is that the 2x24 actinicis. Also I know what a power compact is on the refugium...I know I sound pretty stupid in this post but I want to clarify for myself any misconceptions and I really don't get lighting that much...all the books I"ve read only really talk about T5, and Metal Halides. So not sure what the other categories are. Thanks for any help or info you can "shine" on the subject

-Tony.

Heh... lighting can be confusing. :)

2x24 actinics means two 24 watt actinic bulbs, for a total of 48 watts of actinic. I think the CAD actinics are T5s if i remember correctly.

HO LED means "high output", which just means it will be a bit brighter than some other LED moonlights.

HQI is a type of ballast for metal halide bulbs -- all metal halides require ballasts to drive the bulbs. Usually you'll see metal halides being driving by either magnetic HQI or electronic ballasts.

When you see "VHO" it means "very high output" and, along with HO, is usually associated with fluorescents.

Archived