Cultivated Reef

CADLIGHTS OWNERS CLUB THREAD!

Belatube

Just ordered my new cadlight 22g with the 96w lighting. cannot wait for it to get here and cannot wait to replace my 8gal biocube. What a dud of a tank. should have done the right thing in the beginning and opted for the cadlight.

-Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cad 11" is a 12" t5. Kinda bugs me that Cad is calling it 11", trying to push bulbs I guess.

Interesting...Can anyone else confirm this?

Anyone else setting up a new cad? I'm thinking about getting a 12g but I don't know yet...It's tempting to just save up for a 39!

Interesting...Can anyone else confirm this?

Anyone else setting up a new cad? I'm thinking about getting a 12g but I don't know yet...It's tempting to just save up for a 39!

Go with the 39 Pro, you won't regret it!

Hey all,

I just ordered a CAD 39 Pro last night.

Plans for the tank are to create an environment for Seahorses. I have been doing research on this for a while and am still reading up.

LR will be 2 to 3 pieces of shelf rock in the middle of the display and stalks of variable length branch rock behind the shelf rock. I will have a few different species of decorative algae on either side of the LR centerpiece.

Corals will be pretty basic. I plan to have Rics/Yumas on the shelf rock and a few Monti Caps mounted to the higher stalks of branch rock.

During cycle I will evaluate whether or not I can maintain temps in the 74degree range without the need for a chiller. There is a fan that comes with the package and it will be placed over the sump in the stand. I will be adding an additional fan atop the display to help keep temps down. Of course this will cause a higher rate of evap, so I will also be adding an ATO.

So, that's the general plan. I will start a thread once I get the tank and begin to set it up.

Thanks to those who provided their feedback on their experiences with CADLights tanks!

Mark

Sounds like fun. Your defintely going to need a chiller to keep temps at a steady 74. unless the room your tank is in is climate controlled. What species of seahorse are you planning for?

Go with the 39 Pro, you won't regret it!

If this student loan works out the way I want it to, you better believe I'll have one headed my way! ;) These cad tanks are a thing of beauty.

Be sure to keep us updated, Mark!

Sounds like fun. Your defintely going to need a chiller to keep temps at a steady 74. unless the room your tank is in is climate controlled. What species of seahorse are you planning for?

I usually keep the house at 74 degrees and the room both of my tanks will be in is where the thermostat is. That room doesn't get much ambient light either. I have plenty of time to watch the temps in the tank while it is cycling. If I can't keep the temps down, I will buy a chiller.

I haven't decided on what seahorses I will keep yet. I'm only planning on 1 male/female pair though. I have narrowed down my choices to:

H. erectus

H. fuscus

H. kuda

H. reidi

I have about 3 months to decide as I want to get the tank cycled and stable before adding the seahorses. Recommendations are appreciated from those of you who have kept any of the seahorse species listed above.

Just put an order for a Cad 22. I'm thinking of setting up the chambers as follows:

chamber 1: floss, chemipure and purigen

chamber 2: chaeto and live rocks

chamber 3: return pump, stealth heater and thermometer

Is this a good setup? I'm thinking to put in a skimmer but don't think there would be enough space on chamber 1?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am new to the hobby, and am looking at the cadlight tanks... I like the appearance far more than other nano tanks I've seen, and the functionality also seems good. A couple of quick questions:

1. For the 22g, with the stock 56W lights... are those lights good for anything at all, or are they simply too weak for a reef? I see they have a 96W version as well, but am not sure I want to spend quite that much for my first tank.

2. For the 12g, the lights seem like they should be sufficient for a reef... but am I right or wrong?

3. For the 22g, is the water flow from the stock pump sufficient?

I'll probably have other questions later...

Hi all,

I just ordered my 22g today and I am super super excited!!!

I'm upgrading from a Biocube 8 so I already have LR, CUC, and Corals.

I'm actually wondering whether 9.5 pounds of rock is good enough for a 22g. I know the rule of thumb is 1 lb of rock per gallon but seeing that the Cadlights is so narrow and long... aquascaping might be a bit difficult. I guess I'll see when I actually get it.

The only filtration I have right now is floss and I've been reading up on forums and noticed that everyone has chemipure (carbon filter?) in their tanks. Is that really necessary?

Finally, I'm assuming the size of the tank would warrant a skimmer. What models is recommended and is there anything else others would recommend I get? I'm getting a glass cover that hopefully would help curb ATO, if not, I'm planning to make one.

SUPER EXCITED!!

Hi there,

I asked Eddie from Cadlights what corals I can keep for 56W and he said most... except for SPS because these corals require Metal Halide lights.

I also opted for the 56W because I didn't want to spend so much

Hi there,

I am new to the hobby, and am looking at the cadlight tanks... I like the appearance far more than other nano tanks I've seen, and the functionality also seems good. A couple of quick questions:

1. For the 22g, with the stock 56W lights... are those lights good for anything at all, or are they simply too weak for a reef? I see they have a 96W version as well, but am not sure I want to spend quite that much for my first tank.

2. For the 12g, the lights seem like they should be sufficient for a reef... but am I right or wrong?

3. For the 22g, is the water flow from the stock pump sufficient?

I'll probably have other questions later...

hello all- after doing a lot of reading and comparing of AIO tanks, I decided to put in my order for a Cadlights 39g Pro. it's supposed to ship next Friday and arrive next Tuesday! omgomgomg

Ordered directly from Eddie, who spent a lot of time dealing with me and patiently answering questions. I ended up getting the UV sterilizer taken off the order because I just didn't want to deal with it, and I've never had any trouble with that kind of thing before.

I'll update with pictures from my Nikon D40 as they become available -- looking forward to "working" with all of you! :bowdown:

(I apologize in advance with what will doubtlessly be a lot of stupid questions). :flower:

hello all- after doing a lot of reading and comparing of AIO tanks, I decided to put in my order for a Cadlights 39g Pro. it's supposed to ship next Friday and arrive next Tuesday! omgomgomg

Ordered directly from Eddie, who spent a lot of time dealing with me and patiently answering questions. I ended up getting the UV sterilizer taken off the order because I just didn't want to deal with it, and I've never had any trouble with that kind of thing before.

I'll update with pictures from my Nikon D40 as they become available -- looking forward to "working" with all of you! :bowdown:

(I apologize in advance with what will doubtlessly be a lot of stupid questions). :flower:

Welcome to the CAD Owners Club! I know you'll enjoy your tank. If you're interested check out my thread to see how I modded the optional shelf for the Pro.

Welcome to the CAD Owners Club! I know you'll enjoy your tank. If you're interested check out my thread to see how I modded the optional shelf for the Pro.

I really like that shelf idea -- that's probably the first thing I'll do when I put the thing together. My biggest concern overall is what to do about evaporation. Eddie at Cadlights suggested that, based on my location (Richmond, VA), I probably wouldn't have to top off every day (he suggested more like every 4-5 days). However, I'm still looking into ATOs, just because I like the automation -- the problem is that I'm really not sure where I can put the reservoir for the fresh water. Wife is not going to allow plumbing running through our bedroom, so it's got to be an in-cabinet solution if anything (or else a really cleverly-wired through-wall solution where the reservoir ends up hiding in the closet...!!! :naughtydance: ). Anyway, so that's one of the biggest places that I think a shelf could come in handy.

How does everyone else deal with ATO? Any in-cabinet solutions?

By the way, I also really like your idea of the "shelf" aquascape. My LFS used to sell sort of "pre-fab" walls of concrete shaped to look like live rock, which I didn't necessarily like, but gave me the idea to maybe construct my own walls out of live rock using superglue/aquarium putty or something. How's your progress on this?

By the way, I also really like your idea of the "shelf" aquascape. My LFS used to sell sort of "pre-fab" walls of concrete shaped to look like live rock, which I didn't necessarily like, but gave me the idea to maybe construct my own walls out of live rock using superglue/aquarium putty or something. How's your progress on this?

I hit a wall financially, so I am embracing the reef mantra, "Nothing good happens quickly."

I really like that shelf idea -- that's probably the first thing I'll do when I put the thing together. My biggest concern overall is what to do about evaporation. Eddie at Cadlights suggested that, based on my location (Richmond, VA), I probably wouldn't have to top off every day (he suggested more like every 4-5 days). However, I'm still looking into ATOs, just because I like the automation -- the problem is that I'm really not sure where I can put the reservoir for the fresh water. Wife is not going to allow plumbing running through our bedroom, so it's got to be an in-cabinet solution if anything (or else a really cleverly-wired through-wall solution where the reservoir ends up hiding in the closet...!!! :naughtydance: ). Anyway, so that's one of the biggest places that I think a shelf could come in handy.

I imagine there should be a way to drill a small hole through the wall directly behind the tank, so that it is not visible. The trouble is depending on how your house is laid out, where you will actually have the reservoir. I had the same trouble with my wife, but we overcame that when I told her our options were our bedroom or our living room. She'd rather have the reservoir in the bedroom where no one can see.

I think I've hit a similar wall - just found out my wife has to replace her timing belt and horn (?!?) in her car, so that's going to definitely slow things down for me.

Just picked up a 12gallon Cadlights... very excited. This'll be my first SW tank. I'll post details and so on once I get it going... while I'm waiting, though:

I have the stock lights for now. What sorts of corals/etc. can I expect will work well, and what should I steer totally clear of? There seems to be some debate on this... any insights will be appreciated. Thanks!

Here's a pic of where I am so far...

DSC00457.jpg

I picked up the rest of the LR I needed after posting the picture above. This is what it looked like after adding more LR:

DSC00465.jpg

I used a 3 gallon water jug, and mounted it in the back right of the stand, just above the sump. I had to cut the top off of the just as it was a little too big. I then just ran an airline from this into my ATO. It holds about 2.5 gallons when full. This lasts about 3-4 days.

Here are a few early pictures of my Calights Pro system. The majority of the pictures are when I was cycling the tank but now ive got a few sps, zoo's, etc in the tank. I added a chiller and new refugium light to my system.

post-3450-1250750993_thumb.jpg

post-3450-1250751016_thumb.jpg

post-3450-1250751099_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Finally got my 22g. I'm wondering if any of you got the glass cover? i got it cause i know i want fishes that would be prone to jumping. but i'm a bit disappointed in that the glass cover is way too small for the tank... it's like at least 2 inches smaller in width, which means i can't use the flap to feed without risking the glass cover from falling into the tank.

Is it just me? I asked eddie and i think he's trying to avoid me

In addition, what do you guys have in the chambers? I'm cycling the water only right now. I will be adding sand tomorrow and then LR in a few days. do i need to stick in the bioballs to help with the bacteria build up?? I'm actually not into the whole bioballs idea... and how do you stick the filter in without it falling to the bottom?? I guess steve's media rack would come handy huh?

thanks,

Jessica

Hi all,

Finally got my 22g. I'm wondering if any of you got the glass cover? i got it cause i know i want fishes that would be prone to jumping. but i'm a bit disappointed in that the glass cover is way too small for the tank... it's like at least 2 inches smaller in width, which means i can't use the flap to feed without risking the glass cover from falling into the tank.

Is it just me? I asked eddie and i think he's trying to avoid me

In addition, what do you guys have in the chambers? I'm cycling the water only right now. I will be adding sand tomorrow and then LR in a few days. do i need to stick in the bioballs to help with the bacteria build up?? I'm actually not into the whole bioballs idea... and how do you stick the filter in without it falling to the bottom?? I guess steve's media rack would come handy huh?

thanks,

Jessica

Call Him. Call him on the phone. He's a great guy. Probably not avoiding you. They ship worldwide so I am sure he's busy with other issues as well.

Jessica. I have a 22G running for 1,5 years with the cover on it. The cover is designed to rest on the legs of the stock CAD T5 light unit. When I changed the light to MH I was able to slide the smaller part of glass in the rubber connector to align it with the bigger part of glass. The glass is not glued to the rubber connector. So just slide it, flip the cover upside down and put the whole thing on the top of the tank. As the result you will have a 2 inch opening on one side of the tank. I feed the fish through this opening. As for the back chambers, I have rock rubble and media pads in chamber 1, cheato and mineral mud in chamber 2, and a heater in chamber 3.

Hope it helps,

Tatyana

Archived