ReefCleaners.org

CADLIGHTS OWNERS CLUB THREAD!

Belatube

Can anyone post pics of the newest lighting used. I believe it is the black fixture.

How do you like it? is it solid? good design? what kind of ballast?

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone post pics of the newest lighting used. I believe it is the black fixture.

How do you like it? is it solid? good design? what kind of ballast?

P7020007.JPG

P7020001.JPG

Here's what came with my Cadlights Pro.

IMO it looks nice, solid, and very pro.

Hello all.

Received my Cadlights 22 Gallon a couple of weeks ago. Ordered the package with the T5 (96W) lighting. When I got it, I noticed that I couldn't fit my StevieT basket in chamber 1. Found out that there was nothing wrong with the basket; the false wall was actually crooked. StevieT was awesome enough to send me a smaller basket, which fits quite well now even with the crooked wall. Thanks StevieT!

Another problem I found was that the light fixture just wouldn't fit snugly on the top of the tank. The acrylic legs support seemed kind of flimsy for such a big fixture. And wouldn't you know it...I had trouble fitting the leg support into the fixture's rubber slot, and the thing broke when I forced it in. So I had to order another one. Ugh.

Anyway, as far as the tank itself, it looks great. I've got the media basket in chamber one, and a Tunze 9002 skimmer in chamber two, along with heater and air pump for my chiller. I did a test run this past week to see if everything worked and if I had any leaks. So far, everything has gone well. Hopefully, I'll get the replacement legs this week so I can put the lights up.

post-46210-1251742788_thumb.jpg

post-46210-1251742825_thumb.jpg

I have a two Cadlights tanks coming this week, 12g and a 5g (special order as they stopped making them a while back. I bought both without a light, thinking I would build a LED fixture. I am still going to do that, but I am finding it hard to find a shell that I can use to house the LEDs for the 12g (I will use a Satellite for the 5g). So, I am thinking I might buy the 12g light from Cadlights and replace the T5 with LED.

Anyway, I would really appreciate it if you 12g owners could provide some dimensions and info for me as I cannot find it anywhere on the Cadlights site. Cadlight didn't have any open units when I called so could only approximate. Here's what I need.

Length x Width x Height (in the middle of the fixture) of the outside.

When turned over, the Length X Width of the opening for the lights (the clear area). In some pictures it seems much smaller than the unit itself.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but is the entire unit aluminum? The sides look like aluminum in some pictures, but in others they looked plastic?

Are there vent holes in the top and the sides?

MANY THANKS to all for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
So I have been looking at getting the 34 pro tank, what is the 70G cooling unit? Is it some kind of chiller?

Nope, it's just a cooling fan. It works quite well. Here's a pic:

P7020008.JPG

BTW, there is no longer a 34 Gallon Pro. It is the 39 Gallon Pro.

Nope, it's just a cooling fan. It works quite well. Here's a pic:

P7020008.JPG

BTW, there is no longer a 34 Gallon Pro. It is the 39 Gallon Pro.

Thanks I was a little confused on that, sorry i meant 39 :)

I'm interested in getting a tank set up again after a few years without one. I am looking for an all-in-one and the Cad Lights 12g caught my eye. Overall, is it worth the price (~$200) and would the T5-NO light included with it be sufficient for keeping soft corals and perhaps an LPS or two for a while until I pick out or make a 70w MH fixture?

Also, I noticed there are now quite a few nano-sized protein skimmers such as this one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_Int...IPSISVS-vi.html

Which if any would fit in any of the rear chambers on the 12g and would they be worth it as far as construction and operational quality and overall effects on the water quality.

I would appreciate any input anyone has to offer and thank you in advance.

-Sean

So 39g owners, is the metal halide a good light? I have the option to buy the tank used with or without the light. Are you pleased with it for sps/clams?

For you guys running Chaeto in the back fuge area on the 22G or 39G Signitures, how is it growing for you? With the overflow letting water in right on top of my chaeto, it is full of junk and doesn't seem to be growing very much. I was using the fuge light my tank came with, just switched to a DIY 20W CF light from HomeDepot.

I'm interested in getting a tank set up again after a few years without one. I am looking for an all-in-one and the Cad Lights 12g caught my eye. Overall, is it worth the price (~$200) and would the T5-NO light included with it be sufficient for keeping soft corals and perhaps an LPS or two for a while until I pick out or make a 70w MH fixture?

Also, I noticed there are now quite a few nano-sized protein skimmers such as this one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_Int...IPSISVS-vi.html

Which if any would fit in any of the rear chambers on the 12g and would they be worth it as far as construction and operational quality and overall effects on the water quality.

I would appreciate any input anyone has to offer and thank you in advance.

-Sean

I have the 12g and love it. My tank is relatively new, though, and I'm also fairly new to the hobby. You might look up nano sapiens 12g tank thread... his is great, with some sps, etc., even with just the stock light.

I purchased the 115 skimmer and it did NOT fit in the sump of the 12g, so I cannot recommend it for you. It almost fit, but not quite.

• 2 weeks later...

pmemmer i have an aquaticlife 115 skimmer and its a tight fit. im not sure the demensions of the 12 gal. but in my 22 i just took off the the two brackets holding it together and replaced it with a couple zip-ties and it holds together quite well. and just slide it on down there. Its a tight fit but itll work. its so tight the false wall will hold it in place where u want the skimmer to sit..

pmemmer i have an aquaticlife 115 skimmer and its a tight fit. im not sure the demensions of the 12 gal. but in my 22 i just took off the the two brackets holding it together and replaced it with a couple zip-ties and it holds together quite well. and just slide it on down there. Its a tight fit but itll work. its so tight the false wall will hold it in place where u want the skimmer to sit..

Couldnt you fit the skimmer in the middle refugium chamber?

Neat -- apparently a new cadlights pro 39g version is going to be available in November: the "Pro X-1"... Link

Looks like they've upgraded the skimmer (Bubble-Magus Pinwheel) and the return pump (1000gph), at least....

very interested to see what they're up to!

Couldnt you fit the skimmer in the middle refugium chamber?

Not on mine... as I said, it nearly fit, but I needed another quarter inch or so. The problem wasn't the side-to-side width, but the front-to-back. jeffncherrie, I think the dimensions of the 22g sump are different than the 12g sump (can't be sure, but it would make sense).

Interesting thing happened today. I was sitting near my tank at about 4pm and my metal halide went off. I immediately looked at my controller to see if it was shut off due to high temp. Everything checked out. I waited for about 8-10 minutes and the light flickered and came back on. Very weird. Not sure what that was about. Anyone else have this kind of trouble? I emailed Eddie about it already. If this is a warranty issue I want it nipped in the bud. Now, it was plugged into my RKL, but I checked it out and it did not occur due to an overheating alarm. Also, the Metal Halide 15 minute protection did not kick in, because it went back on before 15 minutes was up. Lastly, I was concerned about how it seemed to flicker back on. I do not know if this would be an electrical issue within the fixture itself or within the electrical ballast. Any information will be much appreciated.

you probably had a short circuit somewhere or your surge protector tripped. many metal halide ballasts dont light up the bulb for about 10-15 minutes after it shuts off. esspecially when the light has been on for a while. you dont have anything to worry about. sometimes when i work on my tank and i accidentally unplug the light i have to wait that long for it to tunr back on again.

i am not 100% but i have not seen any MH lights that will turn on right away after it was shut off as of now.

Archived