Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ZOANTHID THREAD!

Helfrichs Chick

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many you want?? :lol:

100_0632.jpg

These guys just got added, so they are still cranky.

100_0633.jpg

100_0631.jpg

100_0634.jpg

100_0630.jpg

RPE and one I have never seen before. Has a purple center underneath that green.

100_0629.jpg

Nano-Paul, I have some pretty similar green ones like you have in the bottom pic. Well I did at one point, then I neglected them, then they seriously morphed apperance big time and now they are coming back to how they originally were. I checked on Zoaid and the closest thing to them I saw was Aspen palys... Anyways, here's how mine looked before they went to hell in a handbasket: :P

palys2.jpg

Nano-Paul, I have some pretty similar green ones like you have in the bottom pic. Well I did at one point, then I neglected them, then they seriously morphed apperance big time and now they are coming back to how they originally were. I checked on Zoaid and the closest thing to them I saw was Aspen palys... Anyways, here's how mine looked before they went to hell in a handbasket: :P

palys2.jpg

Those look pretty close to what I have. The only difference is that these actually have a purple center. It kinda hare to get a pic to see it. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have done some of them. And I will try the others when materials are obtained. I will do weekly W/C at 25%. BBalls are out. I will try Chem-pur and Purigen. And maybe a fuge at a later date. I was already thinking about added water flow. I would like to find a magnet mounted powerhead to couple with the Hydor Flo ????

I must admit that after review of many websites, I think there may have been a additional factor that hurt the Zoa’s. I had two

Emerald crabs and several Hermit crabs in the tank. They had a full time job of moving coral all around…ALL around and dropped to the substrate, usually upside down.. So…being that

I was concerned with the amount of light they received…I had my hand in the tank…A LOT…putting them back in a good position to receive light. Well….after reading that human contact with Zoa’s was likely a bad thing for them…. I used

Locktite super glue gel to stop the movement !!!! I did this Sunday night…and have not had my mits in the tank since then!!! I plan on keeping them OUT !

I will stick with the 48w PC’s for now. I will try all these things and let things unfold. I will get back with you in 2-4 weeks on progress. Again, thank you all. I will do my best !

CDC

Yeah, I saw the purple center. It's like some PPEs under cover or something, lol!

I think you just named them. UCPPE :lol: Doesnt that make them like $100.00 a polyp? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Pinner Reef

Just a couple showing what a zoa will do for light

Under good conditions

IMG_1564.jpg

Starved for light, though I'll probably keep them where they are just cause they pwn all the others.

IMG_1551.jpg

Looking at all the other zoas renues my quest for the zoa sculpture.

-pinner

Wow, nice pics people... There is a Zoa photo contest with a $100 prize. It's on another site so I don't think I am supposed to post the link, but if anyone is interested and think they got a good shot PM me and I'll let you know where it's at....

And here's some zoa pics too :)

DSCF2255.jpg

DSCF2254.jpg

DSCF2497.jpg

DSCF2457.jpg

I think I have a whole collection of pink ones. Im probably going to sell them though as I dont like zoanthids all that much. Here is a sample

2a7aa2g.jpg

29g0adk.jpg

2v0hmdh.jpg

The first zoas are big, huge actually. quarter sized polyps of pink with yellow centers.

Second one has a bunch of diff varieties

Third is not eagle eyes. These are smaller, and the orange has a metallic sheen to it. More red than eagle eyes.

I think I have like 5 more varieties of pinks + what you guys call mohawks

supernip, you're killing me. you don't even like zoas and you have a better collection than I do. I just pick up what I can when I can, and therefore don't have anything very striking. Don't get me wrong, I like what I have, but compared to yours they're rather drab.

proraptor i want some of yours too...i have an idea and its brilliant...both of you send me a frag...for free, and i'll vote to decide which ones better and the winner gets a frag of my ugly a$$ brownish zoas!

thanks. Im probably going to sell them in a week or two, after i make some frags or reevaluate my financial situation or something.

I'll post the rest of what i got as well

Archived