ZOANTHID THREAD!

Helfrichs Chick

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A SWEET zoa colony I picked up last week from the LFS. I looooove blue zoas! :P

blue_zoa_colony.jpg

OMFG!! I want some!! You should get to fragging tomorrow :P

Turns out after looking more closely, the rock has some at least 200 polyps I'd say, definitely a lucky find. ;) No fragging of it yet, but when I do I plan to keep it local to the So Cali area so no shipping...

some wicked cool palys:

apaly.jpg

whamin' watermellons

azoas-1.jpg

arrr... one pirate's booty in a hoarde of watermellons and some others

azoas2-1.jpg

nice greens (as opposed to mean greens)

azoogreen.jpg

asst zoas

aaaooo.jpg

aapinky.jpg

aagreenandwhite.jpg

aacooooolzoas.jpg

frag-orange.jpg

:) yay for a zoa thread! :)

Six, you have PM about your mellons and the second from the bottom!

My collection is small and meek, but I love me some zoas!

Some cool greens and wouldn't you know it, free aiptasia!

greenzoa.png

These next two are straight from a farm in the Solomon Islands

redcenterzoa.png

These haven't opened up yet. I'll get a better pic when they do.

orangeunopenedzoa.png

Hello, I am new to the keeping of Zoa’s and I am having trouble !!! I have a NC12G.which has been up for about 14 months now. Started out by upgrading to Rio 200. Substrate is crushed coral @ 1.5” deep. About 10-12lbs LR. Tank inhabitants:

1 med. Tomato Back Clown, 2 med. Emerald crabs, 4 Hermit crabs, 1 Neon Blue crab and 2 mushrooms.

Beginning 1/1, I moved the tank and started to keep Zoanthids….LFS said standard 1 PC 24W would be sufficient. I have been adding Zoa’s purchased from various LFS, including Tropicorium for about 7 weeks now.

Water parameters with a 20% WC with RO every 2 weeks…

Salinity @ 1.023

pH @ 8.2 ( Reef Fanatics Monitor )

Temp @ 80F ( Reef Fanatics Monitor )

Nitrate @ 40 ppm

Nitrite @ 0

Alkalinity / KH @ 300

Calcium @ 440 ppm

All tests taken 1 week after WC

The tank has no Protein Skimmer. Top off with RO, NO additional power heads, I do not squirt off Zoa’s with Turkey baster.

Since I started adding Zoa’s, I have been feeding with DT’s and Kent Marine Zoo Plex. I have been adding SeaChem Reef builder to pH stabilize and just started to add Kent Marine Essential Elements today.

After adding 4 small Zoa and 1 Large 75 head colony… Around 2/7…I noticed that the Zoa’s were getting smaller !!! . I started to be concerned and ordered the Nano Customs upgrade to a two bulb 48W. That finally got installed yesterday. From 2/7 to present, the Zoa’s still seem to be shrinking.

Will the added light help !! Do I need to go to Metal Halide ????? I thought Zoa’s were easy to keep ??? Per the LFS !!!!!!!! More water changes ???? I am truly stumped and I am starting to feel cursed… and very guilty for not providing the correct biosphere for my animals !!!

What do you all think !!! I will add NO more animals until these are doing fine !!!!

Update, After observing the Emerald Crabs really rooting atop the coral…today I traded the Emerald Crabs in for 1 Porcelain Crab at my LFS.

Thanx in advance for ANY help.

CDC / Bob

Does anyone know The Propogators method for dipping zoas? I'm pretty sure it was 3 gallons of NSW with 3 drops of lugols per gallon. Can anyone confirm the amounts and give me a approx time to leave them in for?

Here's some frags I got from StanD. Sorry about the picture quality, I'll have to get some better ones.

Metallic Eagle Eyes

mee.png

Lavenders

lavender.jpg

Stan threw in a bunch of extra Metallic eagle eye polyps, I paid for 5 and got at least 9.

CDC your nitrate is high. do a series of water changes and perhaps mod your filter chamber into a fuge for chaeto if you havent. it'll help lower the levels.

Thank you. I will do a series of W/C. I have not modified filter (Other than Rio 200). BB's are in a net for rinse off. Sponge is still there....and gets a cleaning with outgoing W/C water.

Sponge out ? BB's out ? Weekly W/C's ?...at what %. I use Reef Crystals.

Are you recommending a refuge ???

What level in good on Nitrate?

PC lights OK at 48W ? I truly think that Metal Halide will SOON be replaced by high power LED's...( Much stronger than those in use on the Solarius unit...and at a very much reduced cost )....so...I am hoping that the PC's are OK ? If not...then I will need to act now.

Sorry for all the questions ! I do not wish to watch my Zoa's melt away any further... like the " Wicked Witch of the West " in WoO.

CDC

The bioballs should have come out in the very beginning. The sponge is OK if you rinse it often. By often I don't mean when you do WC's, but every 2-3 days. Go ahead and take out the BB's, but leave the sponge for another couple of days before rinsing it. You don't want to get rid of so much good bacteria at once that it causes another cycle. Start doing weekly WC's of 25-30% and see what kind of difference it makes. A refugium isn't necessary, but can be helpful if you want to look at that down the road. Many people strive for undetectable nitrates, but for most people that's unrealistic. Just try to keep them on the low end. Your lights should be ok for now. Good luck.

Hello, I am new to the keeping of Zoa’s and I am having trouble !!! I have a NC12G.which has been up for about 14 months now.

I have a NC12DX. I got all numbers stable at 0 except nitrates. I couldn't get them below 10 until I did the following: pull 2 of the three sponges in chamber 1, remove everything in chamber 2. I upgraded the stock pump to a Maxi-jet 900 and added a hydroflo for more water action. In chamber 1 I have layered from bottom up: chemi-pure (I tried seagel but went back to chemi-pure), purgin, sponge; chamber 2 is nothing but small LR pieces, chamber 3 is pump and heater.

I run: Salinity @ 1.023

pH @ 8.2

Temp @ 79-81F

Nitrate @ 0 ppm

Nitrite @ 0

Ammonia @ 0

Calcium @ 430 ppm

consistient since I removed back chamber stuff. I do 1 1/2 gal water change once a week and change out the sponge then. More often if I do a major stir up. Still run stock lighting and my zoos are fine. (Let me know when you want to get rid of the brand new custom lighting)

Limes (just rescued from LFS so not much color)

limes1.jpg

Pinks

pinks1.jpg

Fire & ice with some greens which are actually my favorite

fireice1.jpg

here are some really cool button polyps I have, about 1.5'' polyp, Ive never seen them before

121_2193.JPG

sambo123 those are the coolest button polyps I've seen. Would love to know where they came from.

These may not be as nice as some of the others I have seen, but I figured I would add mine. Hopefully someone can help me to ID them...

RedTipZoas1.jpg

OrangeZoas.jpg

OrangeZoas2.jpg

GreenZoas1.jpg

Any ideas on the ID? :huh:

Mary - YGPM

Here are some of my others zoos/palys:

122_2209.JPG

anybody seen these b4, there pretty cool yellow palys

122_2220.JPG

119_1907.JPG

121_2127.JPG