Coral Vue Hydros

ZOANTHID THREAD!

Helfrichs Chick

Quy, you have some AWESOME zoas, I know they aren't all from PTF. ;)

All of my zoa pics were taken under my stock AP 12g 56w lighting. 27w 10,000K PC daylight bulb and 27w 460nM actinic PC bulb.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks matt. let me know when you frag some of yours =] i love your green center with pink ring.

my corals are under a 70 watt mh 14k bulb with a 27w 10,000k actinic pc bulb.

I like these Six

whamin' watermellons

arrr... one pirate's booty in a hoarde of watermellons and some others

nice greens (as opposed to mean greens)

Helfrichs Chick

Really nice Chris! I was thinking about just buying the rare colored ones, but I though heck I will just take what ever I can get my hands on lol. Looks like you are cherry picking and looks GREAT!

Really nice Chris! I was thinking about just buying the rare colored ones, but I though heck I will just take what ever I can get my hands on lol. Looks like you are cherry picking and looks GREAT!

Thanks. I have some of the plainer ones too but I just didn't post any close ups of them. I got one type from a LFS but all the rest came from other reefers. I bought a few frags from folks on here and on RC. I also have a good local club with folks that are always selling and trading so I've gotten quite a bit that way.

These are in my 10g nano...you can see info on the link in my sig. I don't really feed the the zoas but about once a week the tank gets a mix of phyto, cyclopeze, and mysis. The feeding is for the LPS but I guess the zoas might get some as well. The tank doesn't get any additives, except some 2 part calcium and alk.

Jon in SW Ohio

127_2706.jpg

Newest additions...Ruby Reds:

127_2791.jpg

128_2820.jpg

The Frag Bed from the side:

128_2802.jpg

128_2803.jpg

128_2804.jpg

The Frag Bed from the top down:

128_2811.jpg

128_2810.jpg

128_2813.jpg

128_2814.jpg

Misc. Pics:

127_2798.jpg

127_2800.jpg

These pics were taken a month before those:

126_2700.jpg

126_2699.jpg

Helfrichs Chick

WOW Jon, your IMO tied with Prop for a kick ass Zoa colection. (Prop, yours still da man lol)

Hey Jon what do you keep your water perameters at>? I have been reading to keep Zoas in a little higher nitrate rich water, say 15-20? I have been letting mine go to about 10, noticed a little more growth but wonder what you think. Also what do you add... Magnesium? Strontium? Iodine? I have some really cool ones, and would LOVE for them to grow a bit quicker. Again amazing colection.

noobwithatank

heres a few of mine, ive been buying them and fraggin them up slowly in hopes that i have a decent ammount for my "WIP" tank when it done :)

also a few of them arnt happy atm, i fragged 2 of 3 this morning. :)

100_0833.JPG

100_0834.JPG

100_0835.JPG

top down, ith just flash from camera.

100_0836.JPG

Jon in SW Ohio

The giant green palys are the infamous Nuclear Greens which I got in a trade from the guy with the original colony. Wish my pics did them justice!

I keep my water as clean as possible, but have heard the same things about them liking dirty water. Unfortunately in my tank, algae will outcompete the coral if I allow those parameters, so my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are all undetectable. The zoas/palys still grow very fast, thanks mostly to the metal halide on the tank. Light is probably the most important aspect to good growth with them IMO.

I have a good number of SPS and LPS in the tank, so I dose Reef Builder for alkalinity, Reef Complete for calcium/strontium/magnesium, and Reef Plus for all the minerals and vitamins. I dose each about twice a week. I used to feed the tank very often, now just once a month at most. I also do 10% waterchanges once or twice a week.

Helfrichs Chick

Great thanks for the info. I LOVE to see all the pics of Nano Reefers Zoas, but I DO want to hear success stories and such, what works best for them. I just bought $130 in Zoas, (ebay and I am scared lol) and in Feb getting 10 frags, at about 20polyps each frag. I will be posing pics of the newbies soon! I am guessing I will get my ebay Zoas on Friday. YEA ZOAS!

Helfrichs Chick

Ooooo yea... whats everyone do about QT. Personally I Fing HATE QT. I did however learn my lesson... I got nudis on one frag and they laid eggs. I got the adults but about 2 weeks later BAM, babies EVERYWHERE. So I had to pull every Zoa out and dip it. I got about 40 babies dead in the dip water. I think since I only had 1 pair of adults I got all the babies. I have not seen any since (about 3 months ago) thank the reef gods. So from now on I will be dipping all new comers.

Jon in SW Ohio

Typically when I get new zoas or any coral I don't quarantine. I don't acclimate corals either, but always follow the same routine. It may be far from ideal, but it has never failed me.

First I take the coral out of the bag and look it over very closely. If anything looks out of whack I'll get a magnifying glass for a closer look. If nothing catches my eye, it sits on the counter for a few minutes. If something catches my eye, or the coral just doesn't look perfectly healthy, I'll dunk it into room temperature RO water and swish it around vigorously and see if anything comes off in the water. If something comes off, I'll repeat and clean with tweezers etc. until I'm happy it's clean, if nothing comes off it gets dunked in tank water to rinse off the RO water and sit on the counter. Once the corals have sat on the counter for about five to ten minutes, I put them in the tank in the desired place. I've yet to have a zoa/paly take longer than an hour to fully open using this method.

I've yet to have a problem with pests, and only had one sketchy looking colony that ended up having spiders that died very quickly in RO water before it ever went into my tank. Nudis don't seem to bother large polyped zoas/palys much so that helps in my case. Nudis and eggs are quite visible under good light and a trained eye, so just take your time inspecting your new coral.

The worst thing that can and will happen to zoas is Zoa Pox. Luckily it only affects small polyped zoas, so most of my favorite types were spared and I now shy away from small polyped ones. There are still a lot of unanswered questions about Zoa Pox, and everything I know of to date is all speculation. If you get it, do a lot of waterchanges and don't touch the corals. Two weeks later you will no longer have Zoa Pox and will have lost some zoas. The only thing I learned for sure with Zoa Pox when I had it was to not touch the coral. The ones I tried to "clean" or scrape off the pox from all died, while most of the ones I didn't touch came through with at least a few polyps left.

These are the only ones I have right now. I want more but they are quite hard to find for some reason. These ones should look better when I get my new tank and a 150w Halide.

These are the only ones I have right now. I want more but they are quite hard to find for some reason. These ones should look better when I get my new tank and a 150w Halide.

Helfrichs Chick

Sweet daddy! Getting my order tomorrow before 3pm. Should be 10 frags of at least 10-15 polyps. Stoked. here are the pics of what they look like on ebay, but these are only a few colors of what I will be getting... (first time buying off ebay) The guy has been really nice, and I Will post pics of the actual frags tomorrow!

post-19268-1168529561_thumb.jpg

post-19268-1168529567_thumb.jpg

post-19268-1168529607_thumb.jpg

post-19268-1168529614_thumb.jpg

post-19268-1168529639_thumb.jpg

Helfrichs Chick

Ok well I now realize that Paly's (at least mine) do NOT like chemi-clean. I use this once a year at this time. I ALWAYS get a little cyano 1st of the year. I dont get it, I can only assume that the water runs a little warmer, in the wither time here... I call it my christmas cyano. So I dose with that stuff once a year, and never had any issues with anything, clams zoas, sps bla bla. Well since I dosed the CC the two paly frags in my tank have been pretty much closed up. This was about 2 weeks ago. One frag has been opening but these big pink ones are just now starting to open up and have shrunk quite a bit. Not quite sure why the palys didnt like it. Anyone else have this problem at all??

All the other zoas are great and actually I have been adding frozen rotifers from a syringe and their all growing new babies. I have done 2, 4 gallon WC in the past 2 weeks, cyano is gone and all is back to normal, and all are happy, but palys still not open all the way. Weird.

Here are a couple of my new additions:

Citrus Splash (these will really color up nicely when I switch tanks to MH)

Citrussplash.jpg

Christmas Mix

Christmastreemix.jpg

FTS (as you can see, I'm a zoa freak)

FTS.jpg

Helfrichs Chick

Ok well I placed my order for the 100+ polyps of Zoas yesterday (ebay) he shipped them out yesterday evening and I got them just now. (11 am in PHX) FAST! Heat pack is still warm and not one leak. I will take pictures when I get home and after dip and acc. The guy on ebay was Altis Reef, VERY nice to deal with, custom made my package of Zoas, and was all around GREAT. I have them out of the box right now on my desk here at work and I can tell you the colors already are lookin AWESOME! I got some pink palys that are starting to open and look to bee the size of a dime! Just thought I would pass the name along. Pictures later!

Archived