ReefCleaners.org

The Stoney Waters Experience

stoney waters

stoney waters

I'm working on an update, should post some pics soon. Lots of things going on with the tank and work. Just need to find some time.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoney waters

I have a few new additions but first I had to get rid of a problem fish that has been reeking havoc in my tank for months. I have been trying to catch this neon dotty back for weeks with little success until recently. He has been directly responsible for the demise of a carpenter wrasse, a yellow wrasse and the mysterious disappearance of my tail spot blenny.

Come on I bet your hungry.

IMG_3227.jpg

A little closer.

IMG_3228.jpg

Got ya!!

IMG_3229.jpg

Banished to the LFS.

IMG_3236.jpg

Here is what I got in exchange.

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

It's nice to have a peaceful tank again.

stoney waters
Nice catch and nice pictures! Is the citron goby safe with SPS and clams?

Ben

I was told that they will nip at the base of SPS to lay their eggs, but don't do any permanent damage. I won't have a breeding pair so I don't think it will cause a problem. I am not sure about clams.

Ah, so that's how it's done. Thanks for the lesson in bottle traps.

The funny thing is it was the only fish in the tank that would even get close to it.

I caught mine the same way a while back. Great for a solo fish in a 10 gal, but bullied everything except my clowns in the big tank.

Nice catch Stone.

Stinks that you suffered so many losses before you were able to trap it.

Good luck with the new additions.

BTW the new av pic is awesome. :)

Amazing tank. I wish I could get my friggin' tank to look this nice. Great job on the reflectors, too.

stoney waters
Nice catch!

The Sixline is an interesting little fish. I think you'll enjoy having him in there. Watch out, they like to jump into overflows!

Hmm, if that is the case I am one step ahead of him.

IMG_3331.jpg

I caught mine the same way a while back. Great for a solo fish in a 10 gal, but bullied everything except my clowns in the big tank.

I agree, I don't hate the fish in fact they are one of the most intriguing fish I have ever owned. Very smart and always active, too bad they are so temperamental.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

The funny thing is it was the only fish in the tank that would even get close to it.

Thus giving you the exact opposite of what I experience whenever I try to trap anything...<_<

What a great sequence of shots! Nice job on the catch and the documentation. Love the new fishies, too. All and all, a most interesting update. :) Sorry you had to lose the other fish, though...

Looking forward to more.

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI, watch that citron goby closely.

I once had a small citron goby, and he was the demise of a true bonsai acro colony I had. He constantly picked at the polyps and it eventually (in a matter of about 3 weeks) succumbed to the harassment.

stoney waters

Thanks TJ, I have heard that from others also. So far I have not seen him nip at anything. He will eat out of my hand though, he's pretty cool. What about the yellows and greens have you heard anything about them?

Stoney,

Awesome tank. Glad you switched to a 6 line. I've owned 2 and never had a problem with either. Very cool, personable fish. I love to watch their crazy eyes! A quick thought...you might want to put the red open brain on the sand. I've heard that rock can damage their soft flesh. I get great expansion in the sand with mine. Once again, tank looks great. Keep the pics coming.

Thanks TJ, I have heard that from others also. So far I have not seen him nip at anything. He will eat out of my hand though, he's pretty cool. What about the yellows and greens have you heard anything about them?

The only ones that I am aware of being 100% reef safe (and is the species I went to once I got rid of the citron) are the red banded clown gobies (the green guys). They perch on sps, and rarely ever leave them, but the do zero harm to them. Those are the only ones I trust.

stoney waters

I was eating lunch at Culvers today. Thats the one in Bloomington with the 1200 gallon reef tank. When I ran into the owner and fellow reef club member working in the sump room. He pointed to the carbon reactor and told me to take a close look. As I peered inside I saw the tiniest banggai cardinal I have ever seen. It wasn't any larger than the pieces of fluidized carbon. We assume an egg made its way into the reactor then hatched.

Anyway, he let me take it home. I thought I'd give it my best shot.

IMG_3387.jpg

I was eating lunch at Culvers today. Thats the one in Bloomington with the 1200 gallon reef tank. When I ran into the owner and fellow reef club member working in the sump room. He pointed to the carbon reactor and told me to take a close look. As I peered inside I saw the tiniest banggai cardinal I have ever seen. It wasn't any larger than the pieces of fluidized carbon. We assume an egg made its way into the reactor then hatched.

Anyway, he let me take it home. I thought I'd give it my best shot.

IMG_3387.jpg

that's crazy. good luck with the little guy.

How's your Panda Goby doing? I bought 2 and they lasted just over a week before passing away. I never saw them eat, so I'm guessing they starved to death. I had difficulty trying to find them in a 7 gallon tank. I don't think most folks realise how small they are.

Great looking tank btw :D

stoney waters

I have not seen the little guy since I put him in the tank. I still check the sump and overflow hoping to find him but I have given up hope. It may have been a victim of the devils child dotty-back. I still might try one again if I ever see another at my LFS.

I have not seen the little guy since I put him in the tank. I still check the sump and overflow hoping to find him but I have given up hope. It may have been a victim of the devils child dotty-back. I still might try one again if I ever see another at my LFS.

dotty-backs are jerks.

One of my close friends has successfully bred Cardinals. He has only had success feeding the fry live baby brine shrimp. Next time you are ready to try let me know, and I will pick his brains for you!

One of my close friends has successfully bred Cardinals. He has only had success feeding the fry live baby brine shrimp. Next time you are ready to try let me know, and I will pick his brains for you!

Hey bud, try clearing out your inbox so I can PM you back! lol ;)

stoney waters

OOps... Sorry, all cleared TJ.

The baby cardinal didn't make it. I kept him alive for four days in a specimen box in the main display, I even had him eating cyclops. I then transfered him to a netted breeder pen in the sump. He died the next day, I'm not sure why. Oh well, he wasn't going to survive long in a carbon reactor.

Archived