inTank Media Baskets

The Stoney Waters Experience

stoney waters

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really love your tank! All of your work is top notch! I just had a question regarding the plumbing and the closed loop. I want to incorporate almost exactly the same system into a 20L that I am dreaming up. So in your system:

Durso standpipe drains down thru the bottom of the overflow into the sump.

Return pump sends water back from the sump to two outputs in the display tank.

How did you split the one return pipe into two outputs? Is there a Y pipe or something?

Is there a ball valve after the return pump to throttle the water flow so you don't pump the water back faster than gravity drains it?

Second drain in the overflow is plumbed directly to a mag pump, which feeds the water directly back through plumbing into two returns in the display.

How does this work? Is it possible to pump the water into the display faster than it can flow into the overflow? Do you throttle this with a ball valve, or do you control it with the size of the teeth on the overflow?

Again is this a simple Y splitter on the plumbing or did you do something different?

Am I on the right track or am I missing something important? I have never plumbed a sump, I have a BioCube right now.

stoney waters

Whew, lots of info there. I can try to explain how I plumbed my sump, but every system has its own unique requirements.

Yes, I did use a Y fitting to split the return line from the sump. I also used a union ball valve that can throttle back the pump but I run it wide open. I use it to stop the siphon then unscrew the union so I can service the pump and check valve. The valve on the drain just above the sump is to control how fast the water drains. This way I can control the water level in the overflow box and prevent the durso from "flushing". The only way to pump more water than gravity can drain it is if the diameter of the drain is too small or possibly the linear overflow is not large enough. There are calculators for both on the RC main page. You also might want to check out these.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69372

IMG_2312-1.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

The closed loop is pretty basic. The intake is in the overflow box and water is directed through a squid. It also has a union valve that can be throttled but mainly used for maintenance. When both pumps are started the water level in the overflow box will drop momentarily but recovers to the set level within a few seconds. The size of the teeth will determine how fast water will enter the box.

IMG_1759.jpg

Durso's can be tricky to fine tune, but are very quiet and reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget Chrismas it is all about your tank!!!!!!

Just playing looks awesome as always. Now make those corals grow!

Oh ya any problem with the rock at all if not i might give it a try....

stoney waters

TJ,

I am experiencing another diatom bloom since adding the new rock and this one is worse than the first. I know it is only temporary, but there will be no FTS for a while :P .

Fishgeek,

It is all about my tank. I think I'll build myself some moonlights for Christmas.

There has been no unexpected problems with the rock. It just takes much longer to mature. I doubt I would have found nicer rock anywhere else. No regrets.

Stoney!

I wanted to tell you that you're fish guard has saved my new wrasse about 50 times already. I've been watching him hit the netting over and over. :\

stoney waters
Stoney!

I wanted to tell you that you're fish guard has saved my new wrasse about 50 times already. I've been watching him hit the netting over and over. :\

I thought you gave up on fish. Glad it is working out for ya, I love that wrasse.

Nice moonlights, do you use them for viewing or leave them on all night?

Its only been one day so I haven't really decided yet. The switch on the front of the light was always intended for the moonlighting and thats how I have it wired. They are not timed so they run whenever I turn them on. I guess I could run them 24/7 like I did on my nano-cube.

Just a little more photo fun.

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

stoney waters

I get most of my stuff though a local reef club or my LFS.

Its all about the lighting with the pics. The photos were taken under the t-5 actinics, they are not as bright under the 12k halides which is why I'm thinking of upgrading to 15 or 20 k lamps.

stoney waters
What type of favia is it supposed to be and how fast does it grow?

I have had it a couple months now, but haven't noticed much growth. It is however very happy.

I don't even know the common name for it. To me it was just a "cool as #### favia".

If my guy ever gets another one like it I'll PM. He is supposed to get a shipment of limited edition stuff in before Christmas.

Archived