Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Stoney Waters Experience

stoney waters

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoney waters

Here is the ATO I just recently finished.

IMG_1934-1.jpg

It incorporates the standard main and backup switches, but I included a third safety switch. This one will sense high water, sound an alarm and energize a second relay. This relay is normally closed and is in line with the first relay. If both of the first two switches fail or the main relay sticks the third switch will cut power to the pump and sound an alarm to alert of the problem.

About as failsafe as I could come up with.

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

Needreefunds
:bowdown: Outstanding job Stone!! Looks like you are having a blast putting this one together! Already looking forward to your next update :)

My job is inside sales for an electronic component distributor. Among other things we sell Omron relays, Weidmuller Terminal Blocks and Enclosures, and other electrical dodads for industrial automation controll.

THIS:

IMG_1942.jpg
...looks better than some of my customer's assembly line controll boxes.

Very pro work man, I applaud your obsession :bowdown:

stoney waters

Thanks again for all the compliments.

I am getting pretty close to a final set up and cycle. I thought I might take a trip to Premium Aquatics to pick up some LR, but I recently had to shell out for a new mini van for the wife :( . I do have one more thing to add to the control box so I think I'll head to the work shop and reclaim some of my manhood.

Thanks again for all the compliments.

I am getting pretty close to a final set up and cycle. I thought I might take a trip to Premium Aquatics to pick up some LR, but I recently had to shell out for a new mini van for the wife :( . I do have one more thing to add to the control box so I think I'll head to the work shop and reclaim some of my manhood.

When are you going to PA? I suppose it will be a Sat afternoon during public hours. I don't need anything for my tank right now, but I've never been and I want to check it out. I'm in shampoo-banana (champaign-urbana) :P Maybe we could meet in Danville or something?

What kind of LR do you think you are gonna get... Marshall, Kaelini, Fiji, a mixture?

Anyway, your work is amazing. I'm anxious to see it stocked!

Wow. This is the single cleanest, most professional looking DIY project I've seen. The inside of your controller box is showroom!

haha...I started reading this thinking I would take a quick look before heading off to work. Now I'm late....hahaha <speaking to my boss "umm, yeah, I got held up at home drooling over a DIY fish tank project."> ... yeah, that will go over well. lol

Big hand to you. Thank you for sharing~

stoney waters
When are you going to PA? I suppose it will be a Sat afternoon during public hours. I don't need anything for my tank right now, but I've never been and I want to check it out. I'm in shampoo-banana (champaign-urbana) :P Maybe we could meet in Danville or something?

What kind of LR do you think you are gonna get... Marshall, Kaelini, Fiji, a mixture?

Anyway, your work is amazing. I'm anxious to see it stocked!

I want to head there sometime in the next few weeks, I have not been there since they moved to the new facility so I'm anxious to see what they have. I heard they have Friday hours too. No need to meet in Danville, I will be driving right through Champaign. I will PM when I decide on a date.

I am thinking I will use mostly Marshall but will take a look at what they have. It is the shapes and sizes and not the origin that interest me. I will most likely come home with a mixture of all.

Wow. This is the single cleanest, most professional looking DIY project I've seen. The inside of your controller box is showroom!

haha...I started reading this thinking I would take a quick look before heading off to work. Now I'm late....hahaha <speaking to my boss "umm, yeah, I got held up at home drooling over a DIY fish tank project."> ... yeah, that will go over well. lol

Big hand to you. Thank you for sharing~

Geez, I hope you still have a job. If I was your boss I'd give you a pass. ;)

Thanks Josza.

I finally finished with the control box. I added a spring wound timer to shut down the main pumps for feeding. ( Stallen should appreciate this one). I used a double throw switch so its operation could be reversed. It will cut power to one set of outlets for up to one hour.

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

Completed!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, awesome work Stoney! I'm thinking you need to go into business making & selling those control boxes. Keep it up!

my question is how come no one has asked stoney if he can make one for them?

so let me be the first...can you make one of these for me?!

AMAZING

never seen a control panel so clean and professional...good thing my dad hasnt seen this or he'd be all over me, he likes things to be neat and clean...but i guess sterile would work too

ProFlatlander15

That is an amazing DIY Stoney. I am gonna suscribe to this so that when I wanna do something like this I can follow your steps. My dream is the 40Gal BDR. If I am correct you also DIYed the lighting as well? Awesome job.

The only suggestion I have is to watch those Intermatic timers. I have had about 6 bad ones, and finally just used a Levitron timer. A little more expensive, but it isn't mechanical so they won't break. Keep up the good work though!

Stoney,

I noticed that the mag pump you're using for the closed loop is free standing. I was wondering if you knew if support is needed underneath the pump or if the glass strong enough to hold the pump without support. I am currently adding a closed loop for my 20H but I don't know if I should plan to include a support underneath the pump of fear that the glass might crack due to the weight and pressure from the pump.

BTW, your DIY skills are insane. I'm loving it.

Thanks.

-james

stoney waters
my question is how come no one has asked stoney if he can make one for them?

so let me be the first...can you make one of these for me?!

AMAZING

You should see my PM box. I think one is enough for now.

The only suggestion I have is to watch those Intermatic timers. I have had about 6 bad ones, and finally just used a Levitron timer. A little more expensive, but it isn't mechanical so they won't break. Keep up the good work though!

I was able to pick up a lot of six timers on Ebay for a great price. One did not work properly, but the others have preformed well in testing for over a month now. The only complaint I have is the battery life is pretty low. They will only be controlling the lighting so if one fails it wont be a life threatening situation.

Thanks Pro.

Stoney,

I noticed that the mag pump you're using for the closed loop is free standing. I was wondering if you knew if support is needed underneath the pump or if the glass strong enough to hold the pump without support. I am currently adding a closed loop for my 20H but I don't know if I should plan to include a support underneath the pump of fear that the glass might crack due to the weight and pressure from the pump.

BTW, your DIY skills are insane. I'm loving it.

Thanks.

-james

I wouldn't recommend it on a 20H I think the glass is thinner. I have seen this done on larger tanks with no problem. I think the pump is so close to the tank that there is little (prying) pressure on the glass. I feel confident. Although I am considering placing a second piece of glass to support the bulkhead before final setup just as a precaution.

I am getting closer to cycling this thing. I first need to find a way to hang the pendant and be able to raise and lower it easily.

More to come...

Hmmm..... Any investors out there?

wow... want to do something? im located in california. i love your work. question is though would you be able to mass produce? let me know...

stoney,

i've checked the glass width yesterday. it's 1/4. i was just wondering if it was the same width as the 40. regardless, i guess im going to spend extra time and money creating a platform for the pump.

thanks for your input.

and any pic updates?

-james

• 4 weeks later...
stoney waters

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. My wife broke two bones in her foot a month ago and I've had to play Mr. Mom with most of my free time. The system has been running with FW for a long time with no problems. If everything goes right I should have the tank cycling by the end of the month.

Wife's UDA

IMG_2135-1.jpg

Stay tunned.

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. My wife broke two bones in her foot a month ago and I've had to play Mr. Mom with most of my free time. The system has been running with FW for a long time with no problems. If everything goes right I should have the tank cycling by the end of the month.

Wife's UDA

IMG_2135-1.jpg

Stay tunned.

painted toes how neat

Needreefunds

That stinks Stone!!

Best wishes to the wife for a fast and full recovery. Will be watching for pics of that masterpiece of a tank of yours!! ( hang in there Mr. MOM ). :lol:

very awesome tank you have going on. I can only dream of comming up with something you are doing. I'll follow along now. =D

Sorry to hear about the wife's foot....hope the recovery is smooth and fast.

Look forward to seeing this tank up and running with some saltwater.

Archived