Pod Your Reef

The Stoney Waters Experience

stoney waters

It's actually an EV-90 an older version of the 120. I ran it on my 90 FOWLR and it was a decent skimmer, but I had it in a larger sump. Right now I am trying to find a way to deal with the micro bubbles in the 20 L. I might be trading for a different skimmer (possibly an octopus or euro-reef) if I cant find a solution.

I fired it up the other day. Sadly there is not much to skim yet :(

IMG_2337.jpg

The new ev-120 is said to be microbubble free, but I have heard that there were problems in the past. I also like the euro-reef rs100 (Ithink that is the name) but the footprint is so much bigger than the EV-120.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

ok now it is time for an update! I have checked this thread atleast 50,000,000,000 times and still nothing knew!!!!!! if you lost the gustooo to finish i for sure could take it off your hands for a fair price(lol). So really is there any thing new going on.

stoney waters

Not too much to update other than I have added a media reactor to the sump. I am still looking for some premium rock. I found out yesterday that Premium Aquatics will not be getting any Marshall Isl rock until at least January. I have decided to go with Marco rock, I talked to Marc and he will be sending some cherry pic pictures soon. This is some of the nicest rock I've seen. It is dead rock but as you can see, I'm in no hurry.

I also experienced my first minor emergency. I was walking down the stairs and noticed wet carpet around the stand :o. I ran over to the cabinet and opened the doors. I saw that the sump had drained down and overflowed the tank. A quick diagnosis revealed that a snail had gone over the overflow and into the durso. It got wedged in the drain adjusting ball valve causing about five gallons to overflow. Funny thing is I always meant to fix the problem but never got around to it. Any way it is fixed now, live and learn.

Little bastage. I put him in the fuge for thirty days in the hole.

IMG_2367.jpg

It wont happen again.

IMG_2368.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
stoney waters

MY ROCK ARRIVED TODAY :D:D

It is dry rock from Marco Rocks, so I will need to soak and clean it for a few weeks before I place it in the tank. I am not sure the best way to do this so I am hoping someone might have some experience with this type of rock.

I am really pleased with the size and shape of the rocks. I spent a few minutes to come up with this initial scape.

IMG_2451.jpg

Comments and advise please.

Hey Stoney... fill that tank up already!!! :lol:

I just took down my BioCube 8 today. I am getting too busy and gone too much to take care of it. I hope to start something up around 100 gallons when I get done with school. I might have to make a trip up to Bloomingtom to get some tips when that time comes!! I'll probably need some advice setting up a sump.

Anyway, I didn't think you needed to do anything different with dry rock except allow a couple months to cure. I mean if it is dusty you might want to submerge it in some ro/di and rinse it off. Otherwise I think you just let it cycle for a long time. Anyway, it's purdy rock. I look forward to seeing the tank stocked. How's your wife leg?

MY ROCK ARRIVED TODAY :D:D

It is dry rock from Marco Rocks, so I will need to soak and clean it for a few weeks before I place it in the tank. I am not sure the best way to do this so I am hoping someone might have some experience with this type of rock.

I am really pleased with the size and shape of the rocks. I spent a few minutes to come up with this initial scape.

IMG_2451.jpg

Comments and advise please.

Hey Stoney! So, how do you like The Chill?? :lol:

Looks like Marc hooked you up with some good stuff. I used Marco Rocks when I changed my 46g from a FO to a mixed reef. I washed and scrubbed the rock good to remove any dried nasty stuff as best I could. The rock was placed in a Rubber maid tub. I used the water removed during water changes on my other tanks to cycle the rocks. This seemed to work well for me. I also had a heater and a power head in the tub. The only mistake I made was starting this in the house. Upon returning home from work the first day, the wife thought something had died in the house! PU!! :o

The tub was relocated to the garage (shed) for the duration of cycling.

I really like Marc's stuff, really light and full of nooks and crannies. It's coloring up nicely also. B)

HTH. Also thanks again for the care package you sent!

Richie

Simply astonishing. I am going to have to send this to my significant other so he will know what we are going to do with my 125g when we buy our dream house and move in.

Thank you for providing him the instructions. I will notify you when we are ready so that you can give him the detail. I'll be sitting in the laz-y-boy with the cattle-prod.

Thanks

Mgmt.

stoney waters

stallen, I moving along. I have a plan to have the rock in the tank by thanksgiving and fully cycled a few weeks after. If you make it to Blm-Nrm let me know I'll take you to Johnny's reef shop he has best selection down state.

My wifes foot seems to be fully healed, thanks Steve.

Richie. Thanks for the info. What purpose does the heater serve in the curing process. Is it necessary?

I want to see how you used that screen.

MyCatsdrool. Cattle prods seem to be trendy these days. Thanks.

Greenstar. Oh it has water, just not much else.

i am trying very hard to have patience. Glad to hear you wife is nice and healthy maybe she could use that foot to jump start your tank. Just kidding i was just telling a newbie to slow down and take his time.

Once again this is a beautiful tank great job!

Richie. Thanks for the info. What purpose does the heater serve in the curing process. Is it necessary?

I want to see how you used that screen.

Well, I'm not sure :lol: . See, I cycled the tub in February, in a shed without heat. So in an effort to preserve what if any "life" I was possibly giving to the rock by using my water change "waste" water, I decided to add the heater. That was the thinking at the time anyway. :happy:

The screen is still another project in the planning stage. I'm working on adding an overflow and sump and I'm not sure at this point what will still be HOB. So, wanting to make the screen as large as possible I thought I'd wait. Same with the 20L prop tank, I would like to stuff a sump under that one too!! I'm not even sure of the overflow dimensions at this point so I'm in a holding pattern.

I will be sure to send the pics along once the plans come together. :)

I also think it would be a good idea to have a heater and a pump in a tub to cycle the rock. The only reason I can think of is because you are going to be growing a bacterial flora on the rock. Different bacteria grow best at different temperatures. It would be best to have the water close to the same temp you plan for your tank. That way you will develop a healthy bacterial flora on your rock.

Here are some good tips: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/liverockb...curelrstand.htm

stoney waters

Thanks for the link stallen some good information there.

Here is how my curring process has gone so far and my plans.

I placed the rock in a 32 gallon tub and added RO water and a cup of bleach. I let it sit with strong circulation for 24 hrs. The water looked like skimmate at the end. I then did a series of four 24-48 hr RO rinses. At the end of the last rinse the water was clear and the rock smelled fresh and clean.

Tonight I filled the tub with salt water, some from a main tank water change. I added some Bio-Spira and some crushed coralline to help seed.

IMG_2481.jpg

I'm thinking in 2-1/2 weeks I should be able to slowly start introducing pieces to the tank.

I couldn't resist picking up these at our local frag swap yesterday.

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

More updates soon.

ok stoney it is soon enuff! Where is the update. Zoas look great, I am getting ready to start a build on the same size tank and i am going to try and steal as many of your ideas as possible. I am sure they wont compare. Never done much diy. WELL HURRY UP WITH THE UPDATE I FEEL LIKE A JUNKIE NEEDING A FIX!

stoney waters

Sorry to all you junkies but just not much to update. I am anxious too, waiting for the show rock to colonize with bacteria. It shouldn't be much longer.

I guess i can share my salt water storage and water changer.

A mag pump circulates the salt mix.

IMG_2494.jpg

While I siphon five gallons from the main tank into a jug, I can pump water into the overhead jug with a turn of a valve and then gravity feed it into the main tank that sits just around the corner in the adjacent room.

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

Here is a ric I picked up at a show. I wish the pic showed its true mustard and purple colors.

IMG_2500.jpg

My three fishies.

IMG_2506fish.jpg

This tank is really comming along quite nicely.

How's the noise level?

Next thing I could suggest you adding is on your mixing bucket, get a premeasured container for adding salt so that it's just a matter of one 'premeasured' cup.

I think you'll like these links.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=1

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

Archived