Pod Your Reef

The Stoney Waters Experience

stoney waters

stoney waters

After many months of planning and building I am finally getting around to starting a thread on my latest tank build. Of the dozens of tanks I have had in my life, this one is no doubt the most ambitious. Everything from the lighting to the sump will be customized or modified to fit into my vision of the ultimate small reef aquarium.

The Set Up

1. 40 gallon AG aquarium.

Bottom plumbed center overflow with pair of drilled returns.

Closed loop with additional pair of drilled returns.

2. 20 gallon sump.

Chambered and baffled with refugium.

Protein skimmer and DIY ATO.

3. Custom DIY stand.

4. Lighting

DIY pendant with dual 150w metal halides and T-5 actinics.

All ballasts separately controlled and timed for true dawn to dusk effect.

Moon lighting.

5. Automated system controller.

All system functions controlled from one central operating unit.

I am almost a year into this project and each component is in a different stage of completion. As each is nearing completion I will post pics in this opening post.

I would also like to thank everyone on this forum for their helpful information and insight.

This journey has just begun.

IMG_1197.jpg

Custom DIY MH and T-5 pendant.

IMG_1169.jpg

LED moon lighting.

IMG_2720.jpg

System controller

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

DIY Stand

IMG_1393.jpg

Sump

IMG_1454.jpg

Durso and closed loop.

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

DIY ATO.

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

Pendant hanging on a sliding track system.

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

DIY kalk reactor.

IMG_0887.jpg

Aqua scaped and cycled. 11-24-07

IMG_2602.jpg

7-15-08

IMG_3817.jpg

11-12-08

IMG_0590.jpg

More to come.

-Stone

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoney waters
Can't wait to see how this turns out!!!

MORE PICS!!!

I have pics coming out my ears. I might need to get a Premium Membership.

stoney waters
Wow! Great DIY skills! The pendant has a heavy industry look to it. What do you plan to keep?

I seems like a long way off, but I guess whatever I feel the system will support when I am finished. I'm hoping just about anything. Softies and LPS for sure, some SPS and possibly a clam. Suggestions would be welcomed when I get to that point.

That is an awesome pendant. Looks like you are going to hang it with chains. What do you think about using nylon coated stainless steel cable instead? That would give it a really clean look. Just a suggestion. I'm not knocking it. That's better work than I could do!

stoney waters

The original plan was to just drop a couple of halides in the stock fixture and hang it. I thought some actinics would be nice so it just kept evolving.

More pics

stoneywatersexperience0006.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

e5fa71b1.jpg

b0e18f38.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

That is an awesome pendant. Looks like you are going to hang it with chains. What do you think about using nylon coated stainless steel cable instead? That would give it a really clean look. Just a suggestion. I'm not knocking it. That's better work than I could do!

Thats a good idea. I might pick some up and see how it looks.

stoney waters
Very professional looking work. :bowdown: Let's see the main tank!

The tank is just sitting unmodified. Its an All Glass 40 g breeder, a Petco dollar a gallon special. I don't even have any pictures of it.

How about something more interesting.

Here is the progress of my stand.

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

I'm going to try to finish it up this weekend.

CHEESE and RICE!! :o Nice control panel. Amazing work. I'm not even sure what I'm looking at :P I guess those four white boxes are timers. Are those red lights just telling you when the timers are on? And I suppose those are all of the ballasts.

stoney waters

Thanks Carinya.

Stallen and warr40, I'll explain further. The box is an electrical enclosure I found on ebay. I painted the door black. The four white switches are in-wall timers. The first one controls the left halide, the second controls the right halide and the third controls the T-5 actinics. Together they create a dawn to dusk sun motion. The fourth timer controls the far right set of outlets. I will most likely plug the fuge light into this. The small lights under the timers just indicate on or off. The top four sets of plug-ins are independently switched by the lighted rockers below. This allows certain pumps or other equipment to be turned off for feeding or maintenance without having to unplug or switch off an entire power strip.

The inside contains all the ballasts and transformers for the lights and fans. The unit is connected to the pendant light by a 14 wire multiconnector with a quick disconnect. The entire system will be hardwired or pluged into this one unit. Its kind of like a poor mans Reef Keeper.

b989dc92.jpg

One more of the light in action.

IMG_1373.jpg

stoney waters

Set the tank on the stand and snapped some pics. Can't wait to get it upstairs into its final spot. Still a lot of work to do.

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

I dug out my old drill bits so I can start drilling the tank (fingers crossed).

IMG_1409.jpg

I love that light. How did cut the metal for the fixture? I seems very precise, so I'm assuming CNC, but I know very little about this type of stuff. Also are you planning on replacing the glass cover over the MH bulbs? It just looks like it isn't all that clear.

the_anti_honda

Now don't screw it up by putting whack stuff in the tank. LOL any way that light is just too amazing. Love the setup thus far.

stoney waters
I love that light. How did cut the metal for the fixture? I seems very precise, so I'm assuming CNC, but I know very little about this type of stuff. Also are you planning on replacing the glass cover over the MH bulbs? It just looks like it isn't all that clear.

The two aluminum end pieces were cut on a water-jet. The shop that cut it does a lot of work for my business. The question about the glass shields is a very good one. They are clear (not frosted), but have a hammered texture like the reflectors. I ran the light for a short time with one shield down and there seemed to be no visible difference. I don't want to replace them if I don't have to. Maybe others have some thoughts.

Man... such a great work! Your light looks incredible. Very Very nice idea! Can't wait to see this progress!

Thanks oogie. If it turns out half as nice as your Oceanic cube I'll be thrilled.

Thanks not_honda.

Good luck with your new tank Duncan.

Archived