ReefCleaners.org

The Stoney Waters Experience

stoney waters

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so when are you going to bag me up a frag of this and how much do you want an or an arm and a leg! Beautiful like always B)IMG_2810.jpgOk really do you want to sell a frag of that after the new year?

I have wet dreams about your tank. When I dream about my tank, something is usually going wrong with it in the dream. That generally means I'm not staying on top of things in general. Still one of my favorites.

stoney waters

Fishgeek31, Too late, my wife needed a leg last summer but she's fine now. I will keep you in mind when the colony grows out and I decide to frag.

AdriftQuasar, Um... I don't know what to say... Your welcome???

OK. This is something I have been waiting to do for a long time and found my chance today as my wife was wrapping presents.

I was never happy with the stock reflectors and I had a roll of this super reflective material left over from another project, so I decided to make some replacement reflectors. The stuff is so bright it's insane, brighter I believe than Lumenarc material. I won it on Ebay years ago.

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2847.jpg

This might have been the most difficult part of the entire tank build.

IMG_2856.jpg

I test installed it in the duplicate halogen fixture in my work shop. They are just halogen bulbs but you can judge for yourself. Now I just need to make the other one.

IMG_2862.jpg

Imagine what it will be like when they are installed in my pendant with my new Reeflux 12k's that are due to arrive on Wednesday!! Its better than a lump of coal.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Awesome DIY work. Looks factory made. I was reading something about how the right reflector can increase one's light intensity by incredible amounts. What tool did you use to cut out your die?

Awesome DIY work. Looks factory made. I was reading something about how the right reflector can increase one's light intensity by incredible amounts. What tool did you use to cut out your die?

+1 A proper reflector makes more of a difference then increasing the wattage by 50% in most cases. If you don't a have an EXCELLENT reflector, you are pretty much throwing your lighting down the toilet.

Another nice DIY Stoney! You are going to appreciate your lighting so much more now!

Stoney is that a 20L the sump tank? I like the cheato compartment with the colored acrylic so the light doesn't spill to the next chamber and causes algae.

stoney waters

I was really surprised, I wasn't expecting such an improvement. I used a band saw ( wish I had a scroll saw), a coping saw and a razer blade to score and break.

Stoney is that a 20L the sump tank? I like the cheato compartment with the colored acrylic so the light doesn't spill to the next chamber and causes algae.

Yes, it is a 20L and you are correct I used the colored plastic to prevent algae from taking over the entire sump.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments.

stoney waters

Surprisingly I have had no heat issues at all. My heater is set at 78, and the highest temp recorded during the day was 80.3. I think it might have to do with the open air design of the fixture. I am a little relieved after having to deal with all the heat issues on my Nano-Cube.

Dual stacked 40s, Wow! I will follow that one.

stoney waters

I finished the second reflector and installed them in the fixture with the new bulbs. I am very pleased with the color and hope the reflectors make up for the loss of PAR.

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

A LFS got this guy in today. I felt sorry for the little guy and bought him before they even dumped him out of the bag. I hope my neon dottyback doesn't eat him.

IMG_2991.jpg

Most recent FTS. Still lacking a lot of corals but coming along. The Marco rock is starting to get specks of coralline on it.

IMG_2998.jpg

stoney waters

My heart went out for him, although I haven't seem him since I added it to the tank. My son said he saw him this morning before the lights came on, I sure hope he becomes more social.

IMG_3012.jpg

I thought these were a cool mix.

Really nice combo.

I have the watermelons, and just got a frag of the yellow center greens. Can't wait for it to grow out! :)

Keep the eye candy coming!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived