Pod Your Reef

The Stoney Waters Experience

stoney waters

Fishfreak218
I R WANT SUM UPDATEZ! PICS!

Seriously though, how is the tank doing Stoney!?

yeah really!

oh and that cheato block is pretty cool

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoney waters

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Its been crazy busy this summer with the biz, trips and kids. I haven't had time to do much with the tank other than routine maintenance. I do enjoy it over a cup of coffee every morning tho.

I am planning on adding a lot more SPS and building an automatic two part doser.

Most recent FTS.

IMG_3817.jpg

Great tank! I've been watching this one for a while.

Do you have any noise issues with your overflow? I'm trying to plan mine right now.

stoney waters
Great tank! I've been watching this one for a while.

Do you have any noise issues with your overflow? I'm trying to plan mine right now.

None at all. Its just a whisper, There is a small bubbling in the sump but I use filter socks which help muffle that sound. When viewing the tank I can here a small hum from the pumps and the fans in the pendant but it has never bothered me. Many people have looked at the tank but nobody has ever motioned the noise so I guess it must not be too bad.

I suggest a gate valve at the end of the drain to help silence.

Sweet....Make me an automatic doser too while you at it! :P

Sure Christel, maybe a trade for corals. We'll see how it turns out.

Sweet....Make me an automatic doser too while you at it! :P

It's really pretty easy to DIY one. I made mine out of a couple 1 liter containers ($4), airline hose and valves (about $10), 2 digital timers ($12 each), and 2 aqualifters ($12 each). So yeah, I have a dosing system that cost me less than $65!! I've been running it for well over a month now without a single problem. In fact, my tank is now more stable thatn it ever was before.

Thread jack over, sorry.

Sure. Have you been to any of the new reef shops around here?
No, I haven't been to any new shops. Where are they? I think I'm a little south of you. I'm in the Effingham area, no new shops here, in fact, A Slice Of Nature in Vandalia went out of business recently.....My location under my avatar should probably read "South Central Illinois".
stoney waters
It's really pretty easy to DIY one. I made mine out of a couple 1 liter containers ($4), airline hose and valves (about $10), 2 digital timers ($12 each), and 2 aqualifters ($12 each). So yeah, I have a dosing system that cost me less than $65!! I've been running it for well over a month now without a single problem. In fact, my tank is now more stable thatn it ever was before.

Thread jack over, sorry.

Thanks for the ideas Glenn. Do you have links with pics? I was thinking about using a couple peristaltic pumps on timers and wiring separate rheostats to the motors to fine tune. I hate the idea of having to reset a timer every time an adjustment is necessary.

No, I haven't been to any new shops. Where are they? I think I'm a little south of you. I'm in the Effingham area, no new shops here, in fact, A Slice Of Nature in Vandalia went out of business recently.....My location under my avatar should probably read "South Central Illinois".

Yeah thats southern to me, I attended SIU in Carbondale. Why was I thinking you were from Decatur? Anyway, I heard there is a new shop in Decatur and Peoria has a few new ones also but I haven't been to any of them. If you ever pass through Bloomington check out Johnny's Reef.

Yeah thats southern to me, I attended SIU in Carbondale. Why was I thinking you were from Decatur? Anyway, I heard there is a new shop in Decatur and Peoria has a few new ones also but I haven't been to any of them. If you ever pass through Bloomington check out Johnny's Reef.
Haha....SIUC = Party College.

Unfortunately, I rarely make to to Decatur, Peoria or Bloomington. I think the last time I was in Bloomington was 12 years ago. If I get up there one of these days, I also want to check out the Culvers, I think it was you who mentioned they have a large reef tank set up in there.

stoney waters
If I get up there one of these days, I also want to check out the Culvers, I think it was you who mentioned they have a large reef tank set up in there.

Oh yeah, the Culvers reef is defiantly a must see.

I'm surprised that you aren't worried that the gate valve would cuase overflow issues after having installed a 3 switch ATO. :P

If you get time for a photoshoot, I'd love to see more pics of your corals. Your tank is looking awesome. I think that those dual 150's are just the ticket on this size tank. Though I still consider a 175 in a lumenarc mini every time I go to order my own lights, and then end up closing the browser window.

I'd like to see some pics of that dosing system, too, Glenn. It might be simple enough to duplicate. If stoney comes up with one and takes step by step pictures I'd still be lost. :P That control box is on point!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it took me two days off and on but I just now finished the whole build thread. This tank is amazing and the photos are stunning. I wish I had had the time (and money) to do something like this with my 40 breeder. Now its full of all this pesky water and coral, and I can't change it now. I might be getting new tank fever already...

Archived