Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mark's Nanobox Powered 40B -retired-

markalot

reefernanoman

I have heard that SPS are exposed to the air many times in the wild with the change of currents and the tides. So it won't do anything to them to expose them in our tanks for a while. LPS is a different story.

Looking good BTW!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I have heard that SPS are exposed to the air many times in the wild with the change of currents and the tides. So it won't do anything to them to expose them in our tanks for a while. LPS is a different story.

Looking good BTW!

There are some LPS and soft corals that live at the reef crest alongside SPS, so they can't all be lumped together :)

• Like 1

shameless page quote

An update.

I spend very very little time on this tank so frankly it's doing pretty darn well. This tank just grows things, even though it's got algae issues, flatworms, and some kind of bacterial sludge issues.

Bubble algae is still on the wane, caulerpa has slowed down and even died in spots, and no hair algae, or at least the kind I'm used too. Brown algae is still all over the place but not growing as fast as it was. The poor Blenny tries his best but there's just too much of it. :) I've got an RW-4 on order to replace the WP10, which should help add a little more flow.

FTS

WKyvei.jpg

Slimer has lost some green but keeps growing.

spng9H.jpg

Orchid Stylo looks pukey but is getting some nice pink tips.

e9SSlU.jpg

The maricultured acro has lost a lot of color on the stems but the base is still a bright blue and growing.

7Ugbca.jpg

The alveopora had a rough spell for some reason but is now coming back strong. Still a little bleached.

6qnPBC.jpg

My Rics are all doing ok, some better than others.

mnyw0X.jpg

ZRNkIZ.jpg

I put in a small rock with seafoam pallys from my other tank because I wanted something invasive to help cover the rocks. It worked, a little too well. At least they look more colorful under LED. You can see a few blue, orange, and magician pallys as well.

uFXiIE.jpg

As far as corals that have recovered well in this tank .....

This was the ugly green frogspawn that fell behind the rocks in my 46 and was in very little light for months. Now it's doing better than my other frogs.

o7ZOhC.jpg

Got these crazy long tentacled micro zoas over a year ago and I thought I lost them all, and now bang, coming back on and around the original plug.

yv4FTk.jpg

This leptastrea is orange with brown black edges in the 150. I thought I removed it all but here it is growing back. It's always had white borders in this tank. This is also a good view of that hazy sludge growing everywhere.

vQe5aV.jpg

Last pic. The blue white trumpets are doing something odd down here in the shadows. These heads are new and I'm not sure why they are growing down here.

0jAMTR.jpg

• Like 3

This tank is great. I love how it has matured. IMHO Algae and fuzzy stuff is all part of a balanced equation. As long as the algae is not killing the other sea life, let there be harmony! ;)

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Scraped all sides, another big water change, lots of netting algae muck and then sucking more out. This is why I'll never scrape the 150, man what a painful job.

Cleaned MP10, installed RW-4 to replace the craptastic WP10 that was running on spare parts from my other dead WP10.

bIWI4l.jpg

I wish I knew why the Seafoam invasive pallys look so good under LED. Tiny and bright blue.

Orchid Stylo is not doing bad but still appears somewhat bleached. Loving the pink tips but the base color is a little, um, pukey? still. :D Hoping I can grow this fairly quickly so I can make a frag for my other tank.

IOLMku.jpg

Slimer is a little faded, but still acts healthy.

qFju5i.jpg

In the last pick, on the trumpet, you can see a mess of aptasia. The Berghia did not finish them off, so I'll have to try again. It could be the wrasse was munching on them.

• Like 5

Looks great, Mark! The colors look really nice in this tank. That frogspawn is very pretty, especially for a "leftover" :)

• Like 1

Looks great, Mark! The colors look really nice in this tank. That frogspawn is very pretty, especially for a "leftover" :)

Thanks!

I forgot to mention I have a new light coming from a member here, Reef Breeders Photon 16. Going to replace the Razor with it in case I need the Razor for the 150 (I use the big fixture plus this smaller Razor to cover that tank).

• Like 1

Photon arrived. This is my first brick type led fixture and it's not bad. 90 degree optics means I have to hang it higher, I'll have to look into how to switch optics. Running 30% blue, 20% white for starters. At full power, holding it over my 150, it does a darn good job lighting a deep tank, though I would need at least 4 of these to get an even spread.

xZns31.jpg

LuF9Sn.jpg

• Like 4
jedimasterben

You can just pluck the optics right off, they should either be just held on via pressure or a very small dab of epoxy :)

• Like 1

Keeping the optics on for now, just running it fairly high off the tank. I like the way it doesn't light up the back, less work for me.

tDdQ9M.jpg

• Like 6

Moved a few more corals from the 150 into here. A piece of the crazy birdsnest, and my so called rainbow green milli. The big trumpet colony is going to have to be fragged, it's taking up way too much space.

FWukgL.jpg

• Like 7

Nice, like that redish bird in the top corner- looks to be very happy. Are you dosing this tank?

I am using kalk in a timed topoff and super saturating it by mixing 45ml vinegar per gallon plus 3 teaspoons kalk. It magically works.

So I never test po4 or no3 in here but I decided to today.

I have none of either, not even a little shade of blue or red. I can't believe it, but this explains why most of the algae died off.

I better start feeding more!

• Like 1

the photons colors really look good, esp considering what they cost vs the alternatives.

do you use any other KZ stuff in this tank? I have been debating on trying out triton system or just sticking with my usual routine of throwing whatever snake oil coral supplements i deem cool enough in but it seems like it may be a pita to purchase all the necessary micro dosed stuff along with the regular stuff.

• Like 2

the photons colors really look good, esp considering what they cost vs the alternatives.

do you use any other KZ stuff in this tank? I have been debating on trying out triton system or just sticking with my usual routine of throwing whatever snake oil coral supplements i deem cool enough in but it seems like it may be a pita to purchase all the necessary micro dosed stuff along with the regular stuff.

Thanks, I got a really good deal from a member here that included a few test kits I use thrown in for free.

No other KZ stuff in here. I've been experimenting in the 150 but not in here. I am still recovering from snot in the 150 because Phol's Extra Special should never be used in a higher nutrient tank. Woopsie. :D

• Like 1

Thanks, I got a really good deal from a member here that included a few test kits I use thrown in for free.

No other KZ stuff in here. I've been experimenting in the 150 but not in here. I am still recovering from snot in the 150 because Phol's Extra Special should never be used in a higher nutrient tank. Woopsie. :D

good to know i won't be trying that then haha

• Like 1
jedimasterben

If you want a bit more spread without removing all of the optics, then you can remove just some of them and see how you like it :)

• Like 1

Keeping the optics on for now, just running it fairly high off the tank. I like the way it doesn't light up the back, less work for me.

tDdQ9M.jpg

Nice tank shot Mark!
  • Like 1

Tank is looking great Mark. Well done :).

Nice tank shot Mark!

Thanks.

I mounted my acros yesterday ... and so did that damn Goby :angry:. I think most have lost all their color due to me dropping nutrients to nothing. I dosed 1 drop, just 1 drop, of Pohls Extra Special and the next day algae appeared on the back wall and the skimmer did something. Good grief that stuff is strong.

htcQI1.jpg

Colorless UC Rainbow Milli that is encrusting well.

ogDESn.jpg

Colorless random frag that is supposed to be bluish with some red or purple.

Dmg5MD.jpg

The slimer and now the crazy bird are doing well and growing. That bird was just moved and already showing numerous growth tips.

• Like 4

New frag in from the 150, my wifes favorite green tip orange bird. it will replace the pink/brown bird up on bird tower (left side).

2cnAkp.jpg

• Like 3