Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TheKleinReef

28643806094_84b115cfbf_c.jpg_RMK9253 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

28978718130_de11f3517c_c.jpg_RMK9252 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

:(

28978719900_efd67f737e_c.jpg_RMK9251 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

I was doing some top down shooting and I noticed a definite green sheen on one of the branches, and purple is trying to poke through the brown.

28978721800_5e2a5973df_c.jpg_RMK9249 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

New Test Acro. Anybody know what it is?

28643812724_822b9a033e_c.jpg_RMK9246 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

28643819804_0045f05f44_c.jpg_RMK9236 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

28643822474_454c46c101_c.jpg_RMK9230 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

28643827344_ab0be7750d_c.jpg_RMK9225 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

29158831692_30c76e90f0_c.jpg_RMK9222 by Roger Klein, on Flickr

FTS soon.

• Like 6

The Katropora has lost flesh, it's rather thin. Do you have a UV or actinic LED flashlight? At night if you look at the coral you should be able to see fluorescence to indicate which parts of the coral has life. If will take a long road for recover Roger but I don't think it is dead.

In fact, the coralites are nicely defined - it is not dormant.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

The Katropora has lost flesh, it's rather thin. Do you have a UV or actinic LED flashlight? At night if you look at the coral you should be able to see fluorescence to indicate which parts of the coral has life. If will take a long road for recover Roger but I don't think it is dead.

In fact, the coralites are nicely defined - it is not dormant.

Good to know. It only took a few days to see a bit of green so I'm hopeful it will do alright. Ninja just left with a small 2" frag.

• Like 2

#@!#@!#@! BTA already started moving from where I put it and it's now at the back of the rockwork. All pumps are off. It's probably trying to find light since light just turned on. I should have gotten the one attached to the rock already =P.

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

#@!#@!#@! BTA already started moving from where I put it and it's now at the back of the rockwork. All pumps are off. It's probably trying to find light since light just turned on. I should have gotten the one attached to the rock already =P.

they do love to explore unfortunately.

Hard to say what that new SPS is until it puts on some more mass.

Now about that Katropora...

Its looking pretty dang grown right now. :(
TheKleinReef

I must say Roger, the pics look fantastic. The tank looks pretty darn good after the full clean and the re-scape also.

Thanks! The tank needed a thorough clean top to bottom. I just hope my parents can maintain that cleanliness.

• Like 2

There's not a shred of blue on it though. We'll have to see what it grows into

Well, the growth makes it look like a stag IMO. As far as what the colors are, we shall see. I took the slightly purple (whatever the color is?) tone to be blue IRL.

TheKleinReef

Well, the growth makes it look like a stag IMO. As far as what the colors are, we shall see. I took the slightly purple (whatever the color is?) tone to be blue IRL.

It's more of a dull brown/purple. I dunno. We shall see in time!

Side note.

Dannnnnnnng those new Geo R series sumps are looking so dang good.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Thinking about changing bulb combos.

what I have:

3x blue+ 1 coral+ 1 purple+ 1 actinic

what I'm thinking:

3x blue+ 3x coral+

4x coral+ 1 coral+ 1 purple+ (I ran this as my initial combo)

Thoughts?

• Like 1
jedimasterben

A mix of color and growth with an emphasis on growth.

But were you really missing either of those with the current mix? Just curious :)

You'll get more total PAR by switching out the True Actinic with any other lamp, but more PAR can net either more or less growth depending on what your corals can handle (as going over a certain point reduces total photosynthetic output and decreases growth). Certain colors express under warmer spectrum (green and red) but certain colors only express when there is little other than blue, and fluorescence requires mostly blue, as well.

I don't see the problem in trying new stuff occasionally, but I think I'd let things ride for now and let the tank chemistry get back into line before making any lighting changes :)

TheKleinReef

But were you really missing either of those with the current mix? Just curious :)

You'll get more total PAR by switching out the True Actinic with any other lamp, but more PAR can net either more or less growth depending on what your corals can handle (as going over a certain point reduces total photosynthetic output and decreases growth). Certain colors express under warmer spectrum (green and red) but certain colors only express when there is little other than blue, and fluorescence requires mostly blue, as well.

I don't see the problem in trying new stuff occasionally, but I think I'd let things ride for now and let the tank chemistry get back into line before making any lighting changes :)

Okay. That makes sense.

I'll leave it the same for now.

How has the GHL dosser working for you?Would you recommend it?Btw I just made the connection that you're MrKleinReef from instagram lol,can't believe it took me this long :slap:

• Like 1