Pod Your Reef

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Hi! I'm making the rounds trying to get somewhat caught up. Did I miss anything major?

Love those animations! You do the coolest things...gifs, timelapses, videos, etc!

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Hi! I'm making the rounds trying to get somewhat caught up. Did I miss anything major?

Love those animations! You do the coolest things...gifs, timelapses, videos, etc!

Things are filling in. I need to take a new FTS for the month as I've added a few corals. I'm also in the midst of getting rid of my BTA's in favor of more acros. I'm planning to put forward the money from the sales to get the Jebao dosing pumps so I can finally stabilize alk. You'll have to fill me in on how you like yours. Thanks for checking in!

As aways, awesome pictures.

Thank you pico!

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll keep you posted on the dosing pump. Its definitely too good of a deal to at least not give it a try. I hope it works well. I'm so excited to have two additional channels after Ca and Alk to dose some coral/invert foods like phyto and zooplankton. Brightwell has some great foods that don't need to be refrigerated, so I can have them autodose.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Yeah, I'll keep you posted on the dosing pump. Its definitely too good of a deal to at least not give it a try. I hope it works well. I'm so excited to have two additional channels after Ca and Alk to dose some coral/invert foods like phyto and zooplankton. Brightwell has some great foods that don't need to be refrigerated, so I can have them autodose.

Yes, I'm thinking I may use one for Acro Power.

I just got Jebao dosing pump set up, too. On my 4g tank, no less. The things we do for our corals :)

It mostly works fine so far. The biggest problem I've had is that even though I calibrated it properly, when I set it to dose 1 ml (the minimum dose), it actually doses more than 1 ml. If I dose something more like 10ml, it's accurate, though. I think it's just too fine a setting for the cheap pumps.

Since I only need to dose about 3 ml a day of two part, I ended up diluting each dosing solution with RODI water by 50%, and setting up the doser to dispense 6 ml per day of the diluted solution. And then, because dosing 1 ml at a time is inaccurate, I measured the actual output of 6 doses at 1 ml per dose, and then recalibrated the pumps after doing a little math to figure out the proper amount. So while it's technically inaccurate for larger doses now, it's putting out exactly what I need for my little tank.

• Like 4

I have a marine color doser sitting in my basement if you'd like to buy it? I used it for about 9 months with no issues. Although it would need new tubing.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I just got Jebao dosing pump set up, too. On my 4g tank, no less. The things we do for our corals :)

It mostly works fine so far. The biggest problem I've had is that even though I calibrated it properly, when I set it to dose 1 ml (the minimum dose), it actually doses more than 1 ml. If I dose something more like 10ml, it's accurate, though. I think it's just too fine a setting for the cheap pumps.

Since I only need to dose about 3 ml a day of two part, I ended up diluting each dosing solution with RODI water by 50%, and setting up the doser to dispense 6 ml per day of the diluted solution. And then, because dosing 1 ml at a time is inaccurate, I measured the actual output of 6 doses at 1 ml per dose, and then recalibrated the pumps after doing a little math to figure out the proper amount. So while it's technically inaccurate for larger doses now, it's putting out exactly what I need for my little tank.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Jebao! Very clever using diluted two part.

I have a marine color doser sitting in my basement if you'd like to buy it? I used it for about 9 months with no issues. Although it would need new tubing.

Cool! Sending PM.
  • Like 1

Shooting for zero-ish to .04-ish with PO4 and >1ppm NO3. I usually come in around 0.75 or unreadable on NO3. Haven't tested in a while though. My main reason for the algae bloom was the Tech-M treatment though. I eliminated water changes while doing it and didn't bother to trim other pest algaes hoping they would also help starve out the bryopsis. It seemed to have worked. I figure in a couple months, I should be relatively back to being algae free. It's already falling back a little.

Do you remember what your nitrates and phosphate was before the tech M treatment for bryopsis?

• Like 1

Do you remember what your nitrates and phosphate was before the tech M treatment for bryopsis?

Another profile pic change with a cat involved. Should I be doing the same?!

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

That is amazing. And how did you get the sound effects?

Thank you cj! Just a sound bit from iMovie. I cut out all of the high levels sounds on the EQ to make it sound like deeper water (less sloshy).

About the same as levels posted. That was with minimal algae aside from the bryopsis. So, I'm pretty sure they're somewhat accurate (not nutrients being absorbed by algae, throwing off data).

Another profile pic change with a cat involved. Should I be doing the same?!

lol, cat-bearding..
  • 2 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

Small update and resolution.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/357308-cyano-in-sump/#entry4952970

Okay.. So, I managed to do a complete sump cleanout last night. This included draining it, removing all the equipment, and even taking the sump out of the stand to really get my elbows in there. There was A LOT of detritus and lime build up. It's sufficient to say a went through a lot of vinegar.

I also took the opportunity to completely submerge and clean out my Mag 3 return pump with vinegar (first time ever, lol). Additionally, I cleaned the Bubble Magus NAC3 skimmer to hopefully improve performance. I'll be re-adding the other CAD Lights Nano Pipeless skimmer as well. I recently took it off line due to preformance issues. I'm going to be giving it a vinegar bath and try to tune it back in.

Hopefully, between the sump cleanout, cleaning the NAC3, and adding the CAD Lights I should be able to keep cyano at bay. After this mad cleaning session and setting everything back up with some freshly made salt water (about eight gallons), I didn't see any of my livestock freaking out (Acros kept PE, etc.). So, it would appear I didn't screw up anything like properly rinsing out all of the vinegar.

• Like 4
Mr. Microscope

Wow! That sounds like a serious chore. Good for you! That's the sort of thing I always put off doing for forever. I bet that helps a ton. :)

Yes, usually I would not have undertaken it, but last night was the perfect storm of gumption (powered by half a pint of Guinness), fear of the cyano spreading, and time (my son went to bed early because he skipped his nap, lol). It took me about three hours to complete.

Tonight, MORE VINEGAR! Gonna hit up a few more pumps, equipment. (Theo skipped his nap again, :lol: )

I've fallen way behind on updates. No January FTS. D'oh! Though, I'm in somewhat of a transition period and things are a bit messy. So, I don't like to publish tank clutter. I should be doing one soon though. The tank will be three years old at the end of the month.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Happy Valentines Day all!

Check out the PE I found on my nasuta at around 11pm last night. It was literally a half inch long! At first I thought I was looking at an aiptasia infestation. lol

nasuta%20PE%202015.02.15_zpsupdmkqag.jpg

• Like 14
Mr. Microscope

WOH. Makes me wanna sell my flame angel. Hahaha.

How's the Katropora doing?

Thanks Klein!

Why? Are flames notorious for chomping specifically on nasuta?

The Kat has encrusted a bit, but browned out while sitting on my rack. I actually just mounted it on my display rock a couple hours ago. Very high, in the center. Planning to bake some color into it. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Klein!

Why? Are flames notorious for chomping specifically on nasuta?

The Kat has encrusted a bit, but browned out while sitting on my rack. I actually just mounted it on my display rock a couple hours ago. Very high, in the center. Planning to bake some color into it. ;)

They're sps nippers in general.

But I had that Kat under lots of PAR give that baby some light! ;)

• Like 2