Top Shelf Aquatics

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Yea we narrowly avoided a tank crash in the 40 gallon and to restock the tank was more than I was willing to do. So we traded in the livestock that was too large for the 10 gallon, took frags of what we wanted and just found new homes for the fish today.

oh man. so sorry.

That's just plain mean... amazing sampler though! (BTW - what lighting have you raised them under?)

Sigh... given the bleaching events of late I guess tank raised from existing stock will be the only way to get ones that are so vibrant. So maybe not a bad thing.

Hey guys,

I thought I would share some pics of my rock flower anemones. They have been breeding for years now, in fact these past few days I sold about 50 RFAs that were born in my tank.

This is what you get when you buy 30 RFAs at once :-)

674287b3357f3906a25cf9c02dc8e855.jpg

image.jpg

411525e52bb8c074f60a358b67ce9389.jpg

9285b92540dcce9f2293e0b739104329.jpg

3721d562d33f7b51409bf7b0fedff8ed.jpg18f9f8a09870809bd6564e937266a6ef.jpgf46168cdcedc31b6b9c8b23420b33afe.jpg132b675d67e3ace7531807e5dc5e84f7.jpg019e9a100fadd5a4908cfae23b96ddce.jpg3af5d9492f33b696053a21e9da4b9275.jpg9d281dabe5d6a62cf81769cef506adb1.jpgf67e9240e6b0f0c5ccdd954fed438a39.jpg

• Like 2

That's just plain mean... amazing sampler though! (BTW - what lighting have you raised them under?)

Sigh... given the bleaching events of late I guess tank raised from existing stock will be the only way to get ones that are so vibrant. So maybe not a bad thing.

Hey,

I use a Kessil a160w for these beauties. 50 babies that were born in my tank were sold in the past few days. I'll post a couple of piocs later :)

• Like 2

Wondering if I can get a little advice for one of my RFA's. She's been in my tank now for about 3 months. And for the first two months she was hanging out on the rock in front of my mushrooms. She seemed every happy and I would feed every other day or so.

15333548928_59feb48ba7.jpg

About a month ago, I added a second RFA and they cuddled for one day before going their separate ways in the tank.

15960956462_e4d5040440.jpg

Now, she's starting to look dull, flat, her tentacles aren't really even out anymore, I can barely get any shrimps her way, and she doesn't seem to even grab on and eat. She's definitely in the shadows of my mushrooms now, but that's where she walked into on her own.

16102741190_78944c736d.jpg

Any opinions or suggestions?

• Like 1

I had one that did that, don't know why, all the others in the tank are thriving. Maybe try something like blowing some oyster feast its way, some protein.

• Like 2

Wondering if I can get a little advice for one of my RFA's. She's been in my tank now for about 3 months. And for the first two months she was hanging out on the rock in front of my mushrooms. She seemed every happy and I would feed every other day or so.

15333548928_59feb48ba7.jpg

About a month ago, I added a second RFA and they cuddled for one day before going their separate ways in the tank.

15960956462_e4d5040440.jpg

Now, she's starting to look dull, flat, her tentacles aren't really even out anymore, I can barely get any shrimps her way, and she doesn't seem to even grab on and eat. She's definitely in the shadows of my mushrooms now, but that's where she walked into on her own.

16102741190_78944c736d.jpg

Any opinions or suggestions?

i did read that if worse comes to worse and you can get

a clear "operation" for the nem, one might be able to gently

"pop" nem off of rock with a spoon?

but perhaps try feeding it first. poor thing. i think it might

wither away in the shade and also not eating.

• Like 1

i did read that if worse comes to worse and you can get

a clear "operation" for the nem, one might be able to gently

"pop" nem off of rock with a spoon?

but perhaps try feeding it first. poor thing. i think it might

wither away in the shade and also not eating.

How do you keep the RFA in that crinkled shape, mine is always splayed out like a sunflower.

She's scrunched up even farther into the rock today. There must be a small little tunnel that she has found and is now squeezing in. I didn't put her there, and I wish she would come out! :(

She's scrunched up even farther into the rock today. There must be a small little tunnel that she has found and is now squeezing in. I didn't put her there, and I wish she would come out! :(

:( that pink one is a favorite of mine, too!

:( that pink one is a favorite of mine, too!

Do you think size matters? I was looking through old pics and both my RFA's were looking top notch a couple months ago. But I got both of them when they were quarter sized. Are they maybe like clams? Under a certain size makes it harder to care for them? My other one isn't looking hot either, but better than Pinky - they both decided to hide in a space where they are shaded and I can't direct feed them!!

Do you think size matters? I was looking through old pics and both my RFA's were looking top notch a couple months ago. But I got both of them when they were quarter sized. Are they maybe like clams? Under a certain size makes it harder to care for them? My other one isn't looking hot either, but better than Pinky - they both decided to hide in a space where they are shaded and I can't direct feed them!!
i didn't know they were so wee!i think that would make a difference.all mine were bigger than fifty cent piecesize when i bought.more established woyld be easier imo.

ps. feed her as much as you can.

• Like 1

I fed reef roids Saturday afternoon to my tank, paying special attention to my RFA's Two days later and I can't find the little pink one at all. I think she's a goner. :tears:

I fed reef roids Saturday afternoon to my tank, paying special attention to my RFA's Two days later and I can't find the little pink one at all. I think she's a goner. :tears:

:( I lost the anemone in my avatar. My wife is currently dosing her tank (where the RFA was living till my BC29 is ready). I moved it out since other things in the tank, zoa's, corals and a long tentacle didn't respond well to the treatment. The LT declined and died. The RFA never opened back up in QT and melted a few days ago.

:( I lost the anemone in my avatar. My wife is currently dosing her tank (where the RFA was living till my BC29 is ready). I moved it out since other things in the tank, zoa's, corals and a long tentacle didn't respond well to the treatment. The LT declined and died. It never opened back up in QT and melted a few days ago.

:(:tears:

such terrible news. i'm so sorry.

kimber, i hope she crawls back out. poor wee thing.

• 2 weeks later...

This has got to be the worst case of whatever it is that's wrong...

He's been hiding out under a bunch of macro and hasn't been eating etc. The mouth has blown up like a balloon. and it's down to 1/4 of it's size a few months ago.

Can anything be done here?

0e57d659-5732-4422-8646-099612572a3b_zps

This has got to be the worst case of whatever it is that's wrong...

He's been hiding out under a bunch of macro and hasn't been eating etc. The mouth has blown up like a balloon. and it's down to 1/4 of it's size a few months ago.

Can anything be done here?

0e57d659-5732-4422-8646-099612572a3b_zps

frank, that sucks.

i've seen similar from mine when they are feeding.

like if something's floating around, they might "blow out"

their belly from their mouth to capture more food?

have you tried feeding it at all?

maybe it's super hungry? :(

I had 3 that blew up pretty bad. But it was their feet and they released from the sand/side/rock. Mine just wanted more light. That one looks like it is still on the rock so maybe not that same.

Here's the only baby from that first spawning I had back in Sept/Oct. I thought she disappeared for good and then she showed up again under the skirt of another mama. Funny thing is I was saying I really wanted to find an orange nem, not red/orange and I think as she grows she'll be it. She looks lighter in the center.

20150202_200426_zpsik4ongzg.jpg

20150202_200548_zps0eybgzzk.jpg

20150202_200626_zpsdmn8unl8.jpg

• Like 5

FYI, VIP Reef has a "Intro to rock anemone pack of 4" on their website now. Cost is $200 and includes shipping. They have very nice healthy, colorful RFAs so if you don't mind the non-WYSIWYG factor, this would be an excellent was for someone to take the plunge into getting RFAs.

I saw that! Would be perfect for my second tank - which I plan to be a RFA/gorg/ric garden! But that won't be till Spring...

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic