Coral Vue Hydros

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

I wonder if getting fed almost every day was too much or accelerated it's growth. I'm not sure how you 'age' them to know how long they've been alive before we get them

• Like 1

I wonder if getting fed almost every day was too much or accelerated it's growth. I'm not sure how you 'age' them to know how long they've been alive before we get them

every day does seem more than

what most of us do? tho if wanting to

breed means more feedings??

I have no idea but I'm asking Frank from VIP if he's aware how long they live and if it could've been overfeeding. His site states....Feed them once a week meaty foods like brine shrimp or PE mysis and they will be very happy.

I'm feeding mine 3-4x a week but only 1 or 2 of those days is mysis, other times it's just cyclopeeze or something in the water like coral frenzy or reef bugs or rotifers.

But I'm deciding to cut back.

• Like 1

Along what it says on the VIP site about once weekly being very happy, he said it'll rot in their stomach as they're not given time to completely digest, process and excrete excess. Ok, I'm cutting back to only 3 days a week for sure. Maybe later to two.

• Like 2

My rock flower found herself a place where i put her. she's rooted at teh base of a rock. She was all scrunched for a day or so, then buried herself in the sand, following day she was well spread out basking.

• Like 2

My rock flower found herself a place where i put her. she's rooted at teh base of a rock. She was all scrunched for a day or so, then buried herself in the sand, following day she was well spread out basking.

picture?

I have no idea but I'm asking Frank from VIP if he's aware how long they live and if it could've been overfeeding. His site states....Feed them once a week meaty foods like brine shrimp or PE mysis and they will be very happy.

I'm feeding mine 3-4x a week but only 1 or 2 of those days is mysis, other times it's just cyclopeeze or something in the water like coral frenzy or reef bugs or rotifers.

But I'm deciding to cut back.

I think feeding them once a week is more than enough. If fed too much or too often they'll simply spit the food back out. They need time to digest food so once a week is more than enough.

Here is a pic of one of my beauties :wub: :wub: :wub:

20150203_13105022.jpg

• Like 6

I think feeding them once a week is more than enough. If fed too much or too often they'll simply spit the food back out. They need time to digest food so once a week is more than enough.

20150203_13105022.jpg

that nem is ridiculously gorgeous!!! :wub:

20150203_13105022.jpg

It sure is very pretty. I love the tentacles on that one- nice contrast w/ the rest. I assume all are doing well. Even though the Ugly Duckling rock flower nem article regarding Tropicorium said to feed daily, I'm gonna go to once a week on feeding. Sounds like photosynthesis is more of the deal to keeping them. Though as hard as it is to feed the babies and if it's more photosynthesis I don't know why the other 19 babies didn't survive. I dunno.

And maybe w/ less feeding I can make my sandbed look more respectable. Has like green algae or something. My conchs are buried i the sand more than they used to be. Maybe they'll start coming out more w/ less feeding.

• 2 weeks later...

posted in my thread but thought i'd share

too. my ultra nem tonight under dusk lights. :wub:

ultranemdusk2.jpg

had an issue with my other nem wandering about. (i had removed

it from the live rock it was on, as i got rid of the live rock entirely

from tank--too cluttered. and it wasn't happy about it.) i HOPE

the nem has settled, but its foot was doing this werid ballooning

thing--like frank's nem from the mouth. but i think it's back to normal,

only not spreading out as much. he's definitely look smaller.

here is a side view of him in new location (had to move a mushroom

and trumpets out of its way--it began to sting mushie).

radioactives.jpg

• Like 1

So I got my first RFA's today. First time I've ever put something ordered online in my tank, and thought "it looks just like the picture!" They're beautiful but..... Are they usually the size of a quarter? The size shocked me a little. LOL.

• Like 1

Think of a beta food pellet. That's how they started out. So when you get one, it can be dime size to 2" or more. Just depends on the seller. They'll grow to 4-6" so enjoy the process of seeing your babies grow and change over time and know that usually price is not determined by size but by color variation and patterns. It'll probably relax to be 1/4"- 1/2" more all around after acclimation.

Oh, and we need pictures!!!!

I only have vendor pics so far. They are sleeping! :) one of them has burrowed into the sand so only the little face is showing. The other one was next to him, but last I looked she'd edged around a temp partition I put in, and stuck herself the the base of it. I almost hate getting new stuff as much as I love it. I'm so nervouse until I know they are going to be ok.

post-84402-0-16858000-1425530212_thumb.jpg

post-84402-0-08983900-1425530224_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That's very true! I have received some tiny beautiful ones that were pretty pricey but I didn't mind it because they grow fast if they are happy.

• Like 4

I only have vendor pics so far. They are sleeping! :) one of them has burrowed into the sand so only the little face is showing. The other one was next to him, but last I looked she'd edged around a temp partition I put in, and stuck herself the the base of it. I almost hate getting new stuff as much as I love it. I'm so nervouse until I know they are going to be ok.

Ha! I was wondering who got that pretty yellow one. Good for you!!!! They're easy. Mysis once a week and no more. They'll move if they don't want to be where you put them and then they usually stay a while.

That's very true! I have received some tiny beautiful ones that were pretty pricey but I didn't mind it because they grow fast if they are happy.

Here is a pic of some of my new additios :wub: :wub: :wub:

I really like the one with dark green tentacles, yellow ring center, blue ring center and orange mouth. For some strange reason it looks almost all green.

20150304_09371122.jpg

CONGRATS! so jealous of your beautiful RFA!! :wub:

the ones i've gotten have been much bigger. all at least

half dollar size, and Big Green was at least 2.5 inches

across when i bought him for $25 on sale!

• Like 1

Here is a pic of some of my new additios :wub: :wub: :wub:

I really like the one with dark green tentacles, yellow ring center, blue ring center and orange mouth. For some strange reason it looks almost all green.

20150304_09371122.jpg

Yeah, I love the icy blue look on that one. I really like the one one in the sandbed down below. It's striking too. Ha! We've got it baaaad for these lovelies.

CONGRATS! so jealous of your beautiful RFA!! :wub:

the ones i've gotten have been much bigger. all at least

half dollar size, and Big Green was at least 2.5 inches

across when i bought him for $25 on sale!

Can't buy them locally anywhere here so from Miami to here it is!! Awesome prices you have!!!!

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic