Pod Your Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

1sttimereefer-

I swear that if the wife and I end up having another road trip to Asheville I'm gonna pack along an insulated cooler, battery powered pump and ziplocked heat packs. And lockpicks. Definitely those... ;)

That or hire you as a sherpa for ordering through VIP... there is NOTHING available in my area's local stores that looks even close to the same league as the ones in your RFA-centric build. VIP's starting to do some interesting things once more (saw that pack, BTW), so hopefully the shortage is getting less so.

Maybe come spring I'll bite the bullet and try online ordering if the reef club expo doesn't bring something cool to town & when the temps aren't ping ponging between 20's and 50's on a daily basis. In the meantime I'll just lurk on yours and Mirya's threads, and drool.

• Like 3

Aquascapers (which grew out of Coral Morphologic) is a company down in Miami comprised of marine biologist Colin Foord and musician Jared McKay. They do coral restoration, coral fragging, and art. A really neat group if you haven't heard about them before. ANyway, they are about to reopen their store front, in in honor of that are selling some of their artprints. Here is their 'Flower Anemone' from the 'Coral City' series:

Coral_City_Series_-_Flower_Anemone_SM.jp

Limited edition of the prints available here.

• Like 4

I would buy postage stamp nems. I'd buy t-shirts. Maybe one day I could take a nice pic and make a 1000 puzzle out of it. I just need other people's camera skills.

1sttimereefer-

I swear that if the wife and I end up having another road trip to Asheville I'm gonna pack along an insulated cooler, battery powered pump and ziplocked heat packs. And lockpicks. Definitely those... ;)

That or hire you as a sherpa for ordering through VIP... there is NOTHING available in my area's local stores that looks even close to the same league as the ones in your RFA-centric build. VIP's starting to do some interesting things once more (saw that pack, BTW), so hopefully the shortage is getting less so.

Maybe come spring I'll bite the bullet and try online ordering if the reef club expo doesn't bring something cool to town & when the temps aren't ping ponging between 20's and 50's on a daily basis. In the meantime I'll just lurk on yours and Mirya's threads, and drool.

Next time you're coming this way, let me know. I have 2 rooms downstairs and you can see my nems. Maybe by then I'd have some babies! The one baby caught the cyclopeeze well yesterday that I added right in front of her w/ the pumps off and today she ate a little fish frenzy seafood mixture. So far so good for this one. Could be the first ones weren't strong enough to survive. So I'm getting something meaty to the parent nems every day now. I have to do a water change this weekend. It's hard to see the sand getting dirtied up and look bad, but w/o the skimmer going, no choice. I only have the skimmer on like once every 2 wks.

• Like 1

Wow didn't know came in so many colors

They do, that's why I can't seem to have enough. For a major wow factor go to VIPReef.com and click on Gallery. Then pee your pants in awe.

• Like 2

I already know they will sting anything.thats a given. I was wondering more if it was a chemical thing that the bubble tip always goes after flower nem ?

Hi sorry to randomly jump in. From my knowledge, flowers and bubble tips live on opposite sides of the globe, so I doubt it's a "seek out and kill" kinda thing. I think the problem is that flowers are docile and peaceful, whereas bubble tips are really active and like to bounce around the tank and make its way into the overflows and stuff, which inevitably results in it stinging everything to death, intentionally or not.

Arrrrgggghhh!!! My pants!

Annette, I think I just found my new desktop wallpaper. Thanks for brightening my day. B)

Thought you'd enjoy that. :P He said it's amazing, every time they dive they see different color morphs. That's what makes it so exciting. New color combos and patterns.

I got one today. A pretty green one, I want to go for another colour or two.

i have three in my 8g. they are flourishing!

i want a fourth if i can, but maybe no room. :lol:

Sad to announce the passing of my previously 'monster' RFA. He went from 'Petco rescue' to super-sized nem that was as healthy as you can imagine, and in the about the last month, retreated behind the rocks and wasted away. He was barely hanging on when I removed him.

Here's a pic from happier times.. Going to miss him..

2014-09-06nems4_zps0f2aec67.jpg

Sad to announce the passing of my previously 'monster' RFA. He went from 'Petco rescue' to super-sized nem that was as healthy as you can imagine, and in the about the last month, retreated behind the rocks and wasted away. He was barely hanging on when I removed him.

Oh damn, we need an icon that says "Don't LIKE this". Sorry to hear. I wonder what happened?? I guess sometimes we just won't know. I have one that's shrinking on the left side of the tank, don't know why. Don't know if it's due to a bristle worm in the tank? But I'm going to try to get it out anyway. I also wonder if any of my urchins have hurt it accidentally.

OH NO! i'm so sorry. :( he was a beautiful nem.

Yeah, in better days, it was easily 5"-6" across. He would grab anything that came by and gulp it down.

'Lemon' is still happy. Here's a pic of her from today

E626653B-094F-4BBD-925B-9EB7542D12CF_zps

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic