Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

I've seen mine get ticked off if a bit of chaetomorpha gets stuck in the tissue that makes up their column or pedal disk. Not just to, but in - like a splinter. Hallmark of this is the anemone staying halfway balled up even during the daylight cycle.

Gently remove it with tweezers and next day all's well.

• Like 1

I've seen mine get ticked off if a bit of chaetomorpha gets stuck in the tissue that makes up their column or pedal disk. Not just to, but in - like a splinter. Hallmark of this is the anemone staying halfway balled up even during the daylight cycle.

Gently remove it with tweezers and next day all's well.

this exactly. i thought it was just sort of ON her backside.

but when i tried to nudge it off, it was stuck. so i needed

tweezers. i'd like to thing she feels better now. she does look

happy this morn. :D

Here is a picture of some of the baby nems. May be hard to see. You can also see some under the skirt on a small rock which is attached to one of those piink suckers underneath one of the anemones.

they are so teeny and cute!

aiiii

i hope you get some advice on here.

oh i'm not talking about the foot.

there was a large piece of black sand wedged

into its tender underside.

Yes - I think we're talking about the same thing - not the foot part but on the back side of it's 'face'

Here is a picture of some of the baby nems. May be hard to see. You can also see some under the skirt on a small rock which is attached to one of those piink suckers underneath one of the anemones.

Wow - unless you're looking for them, you'd probably never notice. How many adults do you have in there? I'd love to see some babies, but with my luck, all 5 are the same sex..lol

• Like 1

i actually didn't even know the nems

had specific genders? or do they stay as

such? you hear so much of sex changing depending

on need in marine life!

yes, the bottom part of my nem has some polkadots.

it's very sweet. ha!

Nems stay one gender, they do not change.

Kazoofish, If you can remove them to one dish then you'll have more luck in feeding them, because you can take out the dish, swirl in some food and let it sit there w/o the current in the big tank taking it away. I only had one baby in my 34 and it was difficult to get her because she was under the skirt of the mama. She died eventually. I'd put a little something in it and the tentacles of the mama would stick to it and remove it. Luckily, yours are on the ground already. Mine was attached to a rock so I couldn't move her. Can't wait for future developments.

• Like 1

Is there a way to get these guys off a rock? Or once they are settled is it pretty much never going anywhere?

As small as a baby is you should be able to just stick the scalpel into the rock and pop it up w/ some rock. Mine was in a crevice so I was worried to even try.

Is there a way to get these guys off a rock? Or once they are settled is it pretty much never going anywhere?

i wondered the same. from what i read, it's almost always

better to leave them alone if their foot is attached? but i think

there are ways of getting them to curl up then plop them off

if absolutely necessary?

1st, how can you tell, do you know?

if absolutely necessary?

1st, how can you tell, do you know?

The one white nem I have has spit out babies twice. The 2 females from what I've seen shrink up horribly before they expel the babies, they look really sick before they do that. The male on the other hand didn't look different when it spewed into the water. The only other thing I noticed was my white female will open and close into a balloon shape here n' there. But I don't know if all females do that. Just from what I observed. Congrats!!! I've not heard of a way to sex them except watch them and jot your observations down so you know what you have. Good luck!

• Like 1

hmm, the little brown one i've dubbed a boy

DOES curl up into a balloon shape. i had posted

here concerned, but he (she) was unfurled again in

the morning. thank! i have no idea with the three

that i have at all. and i'm not trying to breed them...

but good info to know.

I've only seen one of my nems do that, and it turns out she's a girl so who knows? I've never heard anything like that but it's a hypothesis. I need to see more do that to know.

if absolutely necessary?

As small as a baby is you should be able to just stick the scalpel into the rock and pop it up w/ some rock. Mine was in a crevice so I was worried to even try.

I don't really need to move it at the moment. I'm just getting worried about my hermits getting all up in my nem's business. I'd like to start a nem tank, but won't be able to for a bit. I guess the better solution is to thin out my hermit population. I do a hermit count every few weeks hoping they'll thin themselves out, but no luck...

• Like 1

Kazoofish, If you can remove them to one dish then you'll have more luck in feeding them, because you can take out the dish, swirl in some food and let it sit there w/o the current in the big tank taking it away. I only had one baby in my 34 and it was difficult to get her because she was under the skirt of the mama. She died eventually. I'd put a little something in it and the tentacles of the mama would stick to it and remove it. Luckily, yours are on the ground already. Mine was attached to a rock so I couldn't move her. Can't wait for future developments.

I am thinking about putting them in shallow container within the tank on top of a frag rack so it is halfway from top to bottom of tank (12 inch tall tank). I hope lighting isn't too strong for them. I may put some bigger rocks in the container so they may shade themselves if too strong. I was going to poke small holes on bottom to allow for "breathing" of the substrate and various critters. I am worried about algae buildup also - but I guess I can just hand pick it out whenever I am around. You think I should put fine sand (so can find them and they dont get lost between rubble) or use existing substrate?

• Like 1

I don't really need to move it at the moment. I'm just getting worried about my hermits getting all up in my nem's business. I'd like to start a nem tank, but won't be able to for a bit. I guess the better solution is to thin out my hermit population. I do a hermit count every few weeks hoping they'll thin themselves out, but no luck...

sympathies. i think the hermits are super hardy.

and because i have such a small tank, i steer

clear of any critters that are aggressive, so i never

got them for my tank. but even my sexy shrimps can

be pesky toward the nems. but i don't think any harm

done in the end.

I have far more hermits in my 9 gallon "cube" than I should (11 at last count)... they're there to keep up with the food leftover from the mandarin's feeding. ;)

Only time I saw a hermit get up into my orange rock flower's "business" the end result was an empty shell beneath its ledge the next day and a full, happy anemone. Don't sweat it - they put up with worse in the wild and can look out for themselves.

• Like 1

Ah... knew I'd snapped a quick picture of it in the act. Pictures make my ramblings more worth reading, right?

attachicon.gifRFAsnacking.jpg

Yeah, one of my RFAs ate my Periclimenes shrimp. I wasn't sure if it happened because the shrimp was injured (although I had seen it a few hours previous acting completely normal) or if the shrimp really pissed off the nem (which is also kinda weird since Periclimenes shrimp are commensal on anemones, just not naturally on RFAs). At night I saw my poor shrimp's feet sticking out of the RFa's mouth, like in the pick above. Next day, no sign of the shrimp anywhere and a happily pooping RFA...

• Like 1

Ah... knew I'd snapped a quick picture of it in the act. Pictures make my ramblings more worth reading, right?

Wow - never have seen mine do that .. of course just because I didn't *see* it - doesn't mean it didn't happen..lol

Although I have seen a larger hermit wrestle a piece of shrimp with a RFA. The hermit left empty handed (clawed..)

Another lemon pic - looks like a grumpy old guy in this one.. She's been all over the place lately.. I should be getting some better pics soon. I've got a "real' macro lens for my DSLR on the way..

I've noticed the tentacles went from clear to brown since i got her. I think it's healthier than the time they were clear, which was from the local Petco, where the RFAs don't get any kind of attention or spot feeding (or even decent lighting) - This one feels like a 'rescue'

2014-10-25lemon_zpsabc4172c.jpg

• Like 2

Playing with my new macro lens. At f2.8, the depth of field is about zero.. It's going to take lots of practice to get good at. More pic on my Nuvo 8 thread

I was practicing on Lemon.. Her colors are getting better all the time. The center is getting more and more blue.

She puckered up for me and gave the camera a kiss..lol

IMG_6634_zps835d6ed7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic