SaltCritters.com

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

So, I have more to appreciate! Found 20 formed babies unless they were to small for me to see, then i turn around and notice I have more pellets on the sand! They look like this, they truly look like food pellets that the mamas release. So took 3 mos from start to finish with male spawning, females spawning and seeing recognizable flowers. Not bad at all and then to see tons more last night. I'm uber excited. Too small for me to take pics of the flowers right now but I see white, maroon, green, and either yellow or orange, can't tell. So should be 3 wks before flowers bloom, i'm hoping 2 since I'm actively feeding the water column now.

3023_zps9aa1cbe2.jpg

• Like 3

yah the higher the magnification, the lower the depth of field. Which is why focus stacking exists!

Next on the list of techniques to explore.. Know of any open source options?

Has anyone used PhosBan in a reactor to help reduce algae in their tanks with rock anemones? I don't know whether to use Phosban or a biopellet or use them at all.

I have a couple of rock flowers and a mandarin in my nano... fed daily. No algae issues to speak off, save one really bad bloom of something dinoflagellate-esque for a couple of months thankfully in remission for the last few.

Just have an overpowered clean-up crew (dwarf hermit intensive) and as much decorative macroalgae as possible. Admittedly the former is making some serious inroads on the latter, even the stuff that's described as "non-palatable".

But hey - little to no nuisance algae! ;)

• Like 1

Hey folks,

Any word on doing RFA another group buy from VIP Reef? I recall Keydiver mentioning

a buy around Thanksgiving.

I would love to buy another RFA.

David

• Like 1

So, I have more to appreciate! Found 20 formed babies unless they were to small for me to see, then i turn around and notice I have more pellets on the sand! They look like this, they truly look like food pellets that the mamas release. So took 3 mos from start to finish with male spawning, females spawning and seeing recognizable flowers. Not bad at all and then to see tons more last night. I'm uber excited. Too small for me to take pics of the flowers right now but I see white, maroon, green, and either yellow or orange, can't tell. So should be 3 wks before flowers bloom, i'm hoping 2 since I'm actively feeding the water column now.

3023_zps9aa1cbe2.jpg

HOW ARE THE BABIES DOING?

and i'm so down with a VIP buy. ASD owner said

that they are harder to come by right now. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I wanted to share some photos of the baby nems. First is one that has the pink tentacles of the mother and the yellow center of dad. Second one is a baby nem that attached to a hermit crab. Third and Fourth are some of the babies I am rearing in a container. post-84525-0-80176400-1417818817_thumb.jpgpost-84525-0-38409300-1417818827_thumb.jpgpost-84525-0-16566700-1417818837_thumb.jpgpost-84525-0-99562000-1417818842_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

HOW ARE THE BABIES DOING?

and i'm so down with a VIP buy. ASD owner said

that they are harder to come by right now. :(

I see like 4-5 right now but some moved, some shrunk, others disappeared, hard to feed these little guys. I may have to try putting them in a little container as well.

• Like 1

Check this out. One of my females that had just given birth to some anemones a couple of weeks ago just gave birth again. Yesterday I noticed she was completely flat. Today I saw a bunch of babies around her all different sizes, including this big whitish one. First picture show the large baby nem upside down on mom, if you look closely it looks like a fat tentacle on top. - there are some of the other babies on the stalk and gravel too. Second shows it on its side. Third is right side up. Last shows it on the ground. It is now under the skirt of mom. This baby is huge compared to the others. I guess the mom incubates the young longer for some some versus others. Sorry for pictures not being that good. I need to learn to take better pictures.

post-84525-0-59626300-1418151039_thumb.jpg

post-84525-0-61736100-1418151044_thumb.jpg

post-84525-0-81016000-1418151050_thumb.jpg

post-84525-0-21444500-1418151061_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
scottsdale454ss

Phymanthus buitendijki aka Borneman's Anemone is a cousin of the RFAs that reproduces asexually. Mine just split last week! Unlike Bubble tip anemones that split by dividing in half through the mouth, my Borneman twisted and popped his head off. The white speckled lump you see in this picture in between the Borneman head and the green RFA is the old stalk of the Borneman that will develop a new face:

Split2_zpsb536edaa.jpg

Here is a close-up of the "stump":

Split_zps970d39c0.jpg

HAHA! yes thats what i have! Mine split the same way, just twist and pop off leaving the stalk to grow back. I now have 4 lol!

• Like 1

Check this out. One of my females that had just given birth to some anemones a couple of weeks ago just gave birth again. Yesterday I noticed she was completely flat. Today I saw a bunch of babies around her all different sizes, including this big whitish one. First picture show the large baby nem upside down on mom, if you look closely it looks like a fat tentacle on top. - there are some of the other babies on the stalk and gravel too. Second shows it on its side. Third is right side up. Last shows it on the ground. It is now under the skirt of mom. This baby is huge compared to the others. I guess the mom incubates the young longer for some some versus others. Sorry for pictures not being that good. I need to learn to take better pictures.

Hooray!! Babies!! i couldn't even get that close on mine so you're doing awesome! I do think some tend to hide under the mother's skirt unless they got whisked in the current like mine did at the time apparently. How many?

Yes, I agree. I saw many of the very tiny ones at first but they disappeared soon after if they are not under the skirt of mom or wedged in a rock for protection. I am trying to get some nicer glass or acrylic containers instead of the plastic food containers I am currently using to house the babies. I got about 10 new babies from this most recent "birthing" They ranged in sizes from about 4mm to almost 1cm!

• Like 1

Yes, I agree. I saw many of the very tiny ones at first but they disappeared soon after if they are not under the skirt of mom or wedged in a rock for protection. I am trying to get some nicer glass or acrylic containers instead of the plastic food containers I am currently using to house the babies. I got about 10 new babies from this most recent "birthing" They ranged in sizes from about 4mm to almost 1cm!

Wow, that's huge!!!! that's exciting. I had one die because it was under the skirt of the mama in my 34 g, didn't get enough nutrition there.

I got my second RFA on Saturday, but he's been in a hidey hold for about 3 days now. I sorta try to squirt a little brine in there but I have no idea if he's getting anything.

Do you think he come out on his own? Or do I need to worry about hi being "stuck" and dying?

I got my second RFA on Saturday, but he's been in a hidey hold for about 3 days now. I sorta try to squirt a little brine in there but I have no idea if he's getting anything.

Do you think he come out on his own? Or do I need to worry about hi being "stuck" and dying?

should open up, i wouldn't worry. If it doesn't like where it is it should move.

ultraeatssnail.jpg

wrote panicked post about this on my tank thread and even

sent 1st a PM. worried that the nem might try and eat shell,

didn't think i should pull out. anyway, by the time i was done

posting, the ultra nem had spat the shell back out and is now

happily digesting. :blink:

i was "saving" the snails stuck on the nems skirt ALL the time.

ah well, in this case. guess i won't have to spot feed the nem

today. ha!

That nem has such a pretty barbed pink skirt!! Now you see why I love them so much!!!

i do! i love my flower nems! they and my dendro/balano corals

are my favorites. :D

and this ultra nem was my (expensive) first. it has a neon

orange skirt. and it's got super sticky fingers. always trying

to catch ME too. so greedy. ha!

• 2 weeks later...

i posted in my own thread but thought i'd share here.

this is my ultra nem at dusk today.

she's happy in her little corner (pesky snails

or no) and has grown since i bought her. :wub:

ultranemdusk.jpg

• Like 1

Got an interesting shot of 'Lemon' in my Nuvo 8. She's up against the front glass (an hour or so after being way in the back - she's a fast mover) You can see some of the features that are normally hidden

2C074746-DC3C-4B5D-BA08-C420A4522205_zps

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic