Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav's Mantis Mayhem - 45g SPS Cuboid build

Tamberav

Islandoftiki

Yeah, There are things/memories I wish I could erase that he showed me.

Yeah, I always regret looking at anything that's tagged NSFW, but like an curious idiot, I always look. Some things cannot be unseen.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I blame you but I have been eyeing a betta container at work to convert into a reef.... Dang you I don't nee another pico.

dooo ittt... it's not like you have to keep it running.

Okay so light came and I made a splash shield for it. Right now I have the acrylic taped on but I plan to silicone it in to prevent any water from getting in and make evap pretty much zero. The back of the hood has vents for the LED's.

Right now it is 1 eco pico strip which is 1 w leds, 2 white, 1 blue. I plan on adding one of these to get more actnic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110911730589?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Is this enough light? Tank is 4 inches deep... 0.5 gallons. I was afraid adding a blue eco pico strip would be too much.

Majano's just woke up.

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/IMG_20140626_123324124_HDR_zpsdh73qm8m.jpg.html'>IMG_20140626_123324124_HDR_zpsdh73qm8m.j

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/IMG_20140626_123452056_HDR_zpsyfltmj88.jpg.html'>IMG_20140626_123452056_HDR_zpsyfltmj88.j

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/IMG_20140626_123544622_HDR_zpsc3b2cmoh.jpg.html'>IMG_20140626_123544622_HDR_zpsc3b2cmoh.j

Dang that's a good amount of light.
Yeah I may grab one convert it and probably end up using it at work on the front counter or something. Perhaps I could use t as the pest jail. I feel bad but I had a pest crab that I had in pest jail in a tiny betta cup and he ended up dying. :/ Would be nice to have the ability to point out pests to people who come in to ask about them.

Dang that's a good amount of light.

Yeah I may grab one convert it and probably end up using it at work on the front counter or something. Perhaps I could use t as the pest jail. I feel bad but I had a pest crab that I had in pest jail in a tiny betta cup and he ended up dying. :/ Would be nice to have the ability to point out pests to people who come in to ask about them.

Dooo itttt... yeah, I think the light is enough, maybe even too much. Will have to see how the corals respond. I have some screen I could put on the underside if I need to lower it.

I would say right now.. it doesn't need a heater. Maybe in winter though.

pismo_reefer

If I ever had a teeny pico like that, I would make a stand for it.

Inside the stand, i would have a heatsink mounted directly under the tank.

The heatsink would contain a couple leds to provide heat for said mini-pico.

Dimmable leds are an adjustable heater.

Store tools under the stand.

Islandoftiki

You mean, kinda like what I did on the pest tank, except I used a chiller.

An emerald hitchhiked in on the rock but I removed him today. He looks beefy compared to a pom pom. Afraid he may pick on the pom pom since the tank is so tiny.

I have a heater to put under tanks for lizards/tanks and I saw a thread on how to DIY a controller for it. That idea was in the back of my head.

:naughty:

:naughtydance:

You should sump that little thing. That would be kinda funny.

lol, but that would make it too easy!!!

Not much going on with the 45g, stuff is growing and encrusting and the little clown is starting to turn black. Husband keeps asking me when I am going to put Ivy in. I think he misses the sly looks she gives him while hes on the computer.

Added some corals to the 0.5g, added a pom pom crab and he already found a way to hide. :angry:

IMG_20140628_231431933_HDR_zpssaqbdzui.j

Pom pom crab sighting! I offered her a single mysis shrimp on a tweezers and she attacked it with the ferocity of a mantis shrimp :D She is carrying eggs.

IMG_20140702_232250474_HDR_zps9s05zqjh.j

How much work is the .5G tank? I might do that instead of a full on 10G which is just too much at school to take care of. I was thinking of maybe setting up my betta view tank as a pico softy tank, but I'm worried about the maintenance getting out of hand on a small tank.

Edit: And would you recommend the EcoPico strip? I was thinking of maybe getting this one, with blue and white: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=XX08300&idCartRow=58729104&isKit=0&child=XX08300

About what K color temp would you say it is?

How much work is the .5G tank? I might do that instead of a full on 10G which is just too much at school to take care of. I was thinking of maybe setting up my betta view tank as a pico softy tank, but I'm worried about the maintenance getting out of hand on a small tank.

Haven't had it that long but I just change a few small scoops of water and the filter floss once a week so far and scrape the glass with a sponge thing. Top off water with maybe once or twice a week with about a shot glass full. I target feed the crab whenever I see her as she seems to come out when she is hungry every couple days.

I have like 2 mm maybe of sand on the bottom, I can't imagine it being that much work since I can just lift the rock out, dump the sand out to flush it and do 100% W/C pretty easily if it got dirty. I don't believe there is any negative effect to a 100% W/C as long as salinity and temp are matched.

In the back I am running filterfloss, a tiny bag with a mix of GFO/Carbon/Purigen, and seachem matrix.

Only downside I can see is being limited to what you can keep. I could be perfectly happy with a teeny tank like this if I lived somewhere I couldn't have something larger. It is certainly better than nothing and the small inverts are more interesting than fish and they don't accidentally miss/drop food.

Do you have it heated or is it room temp?

Room temp, I may heat it in winter if needed. Right now the lights/pump are enough.

Room temp, I may heat it in winter if needed. Right now the lights/pump are enough.

Cool, thank you for the help. Much appreciated. Would you recommend getting the blue EcoPico as well as the 12K+blue one?

Cool, thank you for the help. Much appreciated. Would you recommend getting the blue EcoPico as well as the 12K+blue one?

Those 1 dollar Chinese LED's do not do anything to add blue. I tried them :( The blue is not powerful enough to overpower the white LED's in the eco-pico strip. They could be used on a separate timer to give you dawn/dusk though.

Not sure if adding a blue eco-pico strip would be too much light or not. I know just 1 blue/white strip has my mushroom real pissed off because it's too powerful for him. I'm waiting for him to bail off the rock.

The other coral seems to be doing fine though. I'm waiting it out to see how everything does for awhile with just 1 strip. I don't want to bleach my birds nest. You could always add multiple strips and use window screen to "dim" them down while still getting a bluer look (I may do this).

With 2 strips you may want a fan on top blow on the LED's. They do get hot. You could just use a clip on fan on a desk to do it though or maybe small computer fans on the top.

Those 1 dollar Chinese LED's do not do anything to add blue. I tried them :( The blue is not powerful enough to overpower the white LED's in the eco-pico strip. They could be used on a separate timer to give you dawn/dusk though.

Not sure if adding a blue eco-pico strip would be too much light or not. I know just 1 blue/white strip has my mushroom real pissed off because it's too powerful for him. I'm waiting for him to bail off the rock.

The other coral seems to be doing fine though. I'm waiting it out to see how everything does for awhile with just 1 strip. I don't want to bleach my birds nest. You could always add multiple strips and use window screen to "dim" them down while still getting a bluer look (I may do this).

With 2 strips you may want a fan on top blow on the LED's. They do get hot. You could just use a clip on fan on a desk to do it though or maybe small computer fans on the top.

Cool, I will probably try 2 strips when I start it up I think. I think I might add a 40mm computer fan to it to provide ventilation if it doesn't cause to much evaporation. I'll PM you if I have any other questions that way I don't clutter up your thread. Thanks again.

Cool, I will probably try 2 strips when I start it up I think. I think I might add a 40mm computer fan to it to provide ventilation if it doesn't cause to much evaporation. I'll PM you if I have any other questions that way I don't clutter up your thread. Thanks again.

No worries, I like clutter. :)

Archived