Coral Vue Hydros

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blue 2 died last night... My wife and I were watching a movie, and I noticed that there was a clump of clean up crews all congregated in one spot of the tank... I thought, "oh crap".... sure enough it was Blue 2 laying motionless on the sandy floor.... and hermits and snails all ready for the feast. I took him out while my wife ziplocked him up... and in the freezer he went. Wow, that was the first time I had ever lost a fish the same day I received it. :/ We'll see how smooth or how rough a replacement will be. Wish me luck.

BTW, this whole entire BSJ thing is strangely reminding me of the Simpson's episodes with "Santa's Little Helper"... or was it the cat?

Sry Blue...I was afraid as you where from the sound of it he wasnt doing to good.

Good luck with the replacement.

Makes you wonder if their pest treating stressed the fish to much before shipment.

Then again who knows...One thing about the hobby is we deal with Live stuff that we cant talk to...I think JMT is working on a way to walk up to the tank and ask everything "how are you doing today" as you could imagine "hey hey one at a time"...lol

Izzue

Wouldn't that make our lives so much easier? :) "Hey acro, why are your polyps not extended as much as the others?"... "oh... you miss home?... well buy your own friggin' ticket to Fiji!"

Thanks travis.

Hey Izzue, next time you frag the birdsnest and scroll, do you think I can get a piece? Also, have any green monti caps?

Sure Blue...Ill start ya some birdnest today during maintience.

Pardon but what is a scroll????

How bout some Orange Digi...think Ill frag it again today.

No green cap Just the Orange and Blue

I might brake off some more Orange cap today...made 2 frags from the stung areas yesterday...not real sure how well they are gonna do.

May even frag some Gorg today :D

Izzue

Hmmm.. so that orange monticap isn't a scroll? It's interesting how it forms that way. I'm talking about that orange SPS between your acro and frogspawn.

Ok you got me...Im no expert but yes its a Orange Monti Cap...My knowleage stops about right their...except Ive also heard it called a plateing coral.

Scroll is not a term Im familiar with...give me knowledge :D

Izzue

At least to the best of my knowledge, Monti caps and scrolls may look the same (texture and polyp size) but the formations they make are what make them different... they are both a plating type coral though. So your "monti cap" may actually be a scroll... due to its "scrolling" formation.... this is unlike your Idaho Grape Monti cap, or any Monti cap which usually forms random horizontal plates. I'll have to check my aquarium corals book out again... but I'm 95% sure the information is correct.

:bowdown: I see what you mean...they do both have different plating characteristics... The orange started as a frag bout 1 inch a year ago...the scrolls forming on the right side facing it I thought would eventually grow to form another cap...but I now see what yu mean by scroll growth...and may have made another cap except I broke a few off yesterday due to the frogspawn stinging it. I was hoping that frogspawn would grow more up than out...but its growing more out and I may have to move it to where the large acro was that I broke off yesterday also for LFS credit. That acro as browned to much for my liking now.

Izzue

Sorry about your BSJ. Are they expensive because their rare or are they expensive because their not very hardy if that makes any sense. Best of luck to you on the whole replacement thing.

Picture Update

Here's my Reef Keeper 2 fully installed. Note to self... never use a jig saw again. I so suck with that thing...

Reef Keeper 2 installed in stand door

RK2Installed.jpg

Reef Keeper 2 again in door (closer). Note the frame work I had to make to cover my sub-par skills with a skill saw.

RK2Door.jpg

Ooo so pretty. I must say that Digital Aquatics has got the best design aesthetically compared to the other controllers out there. Blue and black... so nice.

RK2Controller.jpg

Less clutter. Believe it or not, there is LESS clutter... like 10 times less.

RK2PowerUnit.jpg

Having sleeping problems? Insomnia due to anxiety, worrying, and stress at the onset of keeping your nano reef at safe levels can be hazardous to your health... Now there's the Reef Keeper 2... it will help you sleep at night. Ask your doctor if the Reef Keeper 2 is right for you...

RK2Installed2.jpg

Jim @ Makin' Waves made contact with me via email about the BSJ. He apologized about Blue 2's health and is offering to send a replacement, this time hand picked by him and free shipping as well. Now that is customer service! He offered Wednesday delivery, but I requested for Saturday (even if that meant I paid a shipping difference)... no way I can recieve a fish during the week.... :/ no more time off....... BUT I can see if I can work a weekday delivery around my flex time... yeah! We'll see....

Hope blue 3 is a keeper, have you remodified your screen so it has multiple layers. Post a pic when you get him. Ohh, btw, what is your current stocking list so far?

Hope blue 3 is a keeper, have you remodified your screen so it has multiple layers. Post a pic when you get him. Ohh, btw, what is your current stocking list so far?

Well, I may not get a blue 3 as it stands... Right now I'm in the works of getting more corals instead. We'll see what comes of it on Wednesday, eh?

As for the lid... it has 4 layers in zig zag patterns... nothing can get through it. (I hope... gulp).

It's Christmas time again!

I received my replacement (corals) for my deceased BSJ... and I must say Jim @ Makin' Waves took care of me. Check these babies out....

Euphyllia

Euphyllia.jpg

Anyone know what kind? Looks like frogspawn to me, but the tip patterns are more oblong than circular.

Goniastrea or "Honeycomb" coral... may be a type of Favite. ID if you can... whatever it is... it's a closed brain, and a beautiful round piece at that.

Goniastrea.jpg

I suggest you guys check out Makin' Waves, because they stand behind their promises. http://www.mknwaves.com

RK2 Update

I couldn't help myself from buying a USB to Serial Cable to update my RK2's Firmware from 2.0 to 2.1... this thing makes me feel like James Bond under the sea....

USBtoSerialCable.jpg

It's weird connecting your laptop to your reef... but feels so cool...

USBtoSerialCable2.jpg

bluebastion,

It's Jim, just letting you know I picked the Favites for you, as the Honeycomb was not looking as good as I thought. So it was a toss up of a Lordhowensis :huh: or the Favites. Glad to hear that you liked the ones you got, as we really aim to make sure that your experience is as pleasant and trouble free as we can for you guys. JN

BTW, getting a really nice assortment of ORA frags next week.

RayWhisperer

Welcome MILPIL

Blue, it could be a frog spawn hammer hybrid... I've been seeing quite a few of those lately. I didn't even know they existed till about a month ago.

Thanks MILPIL (Jim), once again, for the beautiful frags. Keep up the good work at Makin' Waves!

Ray - Interesting... didn't know that existed until you mentioned it. It definitely does look like it's in-between a hammer and frogspawn. I guess that can't be improbable as they seem to be the same species right?

I dropped some PhosBan in filter floss and media bag tonight... right under the the Aqua C Remora overflow. Hopefully that's alright and won't pulverize the media. I have a PhosBan Reactor on the way with a MaxiJet 400... I look forward to setting that up next week. My plan is to actually put phosban and chemipure in the reactor to filter out pretty much everything. Also,I checked my phosphates tonight, and I am sitting at .1... not bad for the amount I feed.

Lastly, I picked up some stuff called Reef Bugs to try..... It's basically a live, but needs to be hatched (powder form), reef food. Supposedly the local reef club is big on this stuff.... I'll post pics later.

Archived