Top Shelf Aquatics

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

SeeDemTails
Yes, I do need to schedule another frag session with my Tort.

I concure, my tank is ready and waiting for a lovely tort frag! :D

Great shots too! I am really trying to grow out my tank too. I hate to frag display colonies because you never know where they will break, I messed up my purp/green deepwater last week trying to frag it, I am so upset.

Do you let stuff grow into each other and fight it out, or do you seperate colonies?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bluebastion
If only my tank had stabilized enough for a Blue Tort Frag!

You'll get there, I'm sure! :) And yes, stability is key.... SPS = Stability Promotes Success

I really don't know how you do it, Blue.

Thanks man. I think I have a helper in this setup... I'm sure that both you and Weetie can agree. I'm just following a "formula." ;)

Great shots too! I am really trying to grow out my tank too. I hate to frag display colonies because you never know where they will break, I messed up my purp/green deepwater last week trying to frag it, I am so upset.

Do you let stuff grow into each other and fight it out, or do you seperate colonies?

>< Purp/green Deepwater? Like my Dustin Deep water acro? DOH! Yeah, I'd be hurting too.. I love mine, but wish I had a spot closer to the light for it. Eventually, I'll have to cut back the higher-up bonsai, to allow more light to get to the Dustin.

As for my corals, if the branches are getting into "fights", I do end up fragging those areas... but only if I can get easy access. My Tubbs Table and Delicate Acro are currently duking it out but I really can't access that area with my bone cutters. So in that case I have given up on trying. Also, I can't frag the bases of the corals, so the area between them ends up growing some algae due to the nutrients that are constantly being released by the corals... the algae in itself seems to buffer between the bases. Not that I like the look of the resulting algae.. but it does have a function. Worth a mention, my Green Slimer colonies lately have been on a base spreading rampage... rather than growing vertically, it is spending most of it's growth energy on increasing horizontal room. So much so, one of them has taken over one of my Chips colonies. It seems Slimers are very invasive, and at least in my experience, will easily overgrow/power other acros.

this tanks so f-ucking sweet! I love the grown out look as well as your corals. I would be so proud if my 14gal resembles this some day. I am working at it slowly but surely.

I apologize...I havent had a chance to read the whole thread, but do you run a skimmer?

bluebastion
I apologize...I havent had a chance to read the whole thread, but do you run a skimmer?

Yes, I have a full size AquaC Remora Skimmer running 24/7. It would skim better if I kept the collection cup tubing clean more often. ;)

MarvinsReef
PHOTO UPDATE

Do You Remember?

Almost 2 years ago now...

9-3.jpg

FTS642008A.jpg

WOW! incredible... the aquascaping is really nice without the corals and w/ corals grown out, just plain beautiful.. awesome job!!! keep up the good work... :)

ahhh...you like the remora? SDT loves hers and I hear good things all around.

So you say fullsize? is this tank plumbed?

SeeDemTails

Yeah mine has been running awesome for the past 2 years. I love that skimmer. All you have to do is clean the cup every day and make sure the outflow doesnt get algae on it and it will skim your tank good enough to keep all the sps you want any given day and twice on sunday.

bluebastion
ahhh...you like the remora? SDT loves hers and I hear good things all around.

So you say fullsize? is this tank plumbed?

Yes, I do like the Remora, but I would venture to say that there are probably better skimmers out there at a lot higher price points..... but for the price of the Remora, it can't be beat.

No, there's no plumbing to this tank except what it came with. Everything is HOB on this tank... the skimmer and refugium.

Yes, I have a full size AquaC Remora Skimmer running 24/7. It would skim better if I kept the collection cup tubing clean more often. ;)

I nearly got my head bit off whenever I said I used a protein skimmer for my 10 gallons (is there really that big of a difference between a 10 and 20?). I think I might switch to a Remora since it's doing so well for you. Your tank looking a-mazing! I don't really care for acro, but yours is quite stunning.

bluebastion

Enjoifish - Thanks! :) I think that your need of a skimmer is based more on your bioload, rather than the size of the tank. So if you're going to heavily stock your 10 gallon, by all means get a skimmer. Just don't make the mistake of not doing your water changes just because you have a skimmer. Unfortunately, that is a common mistake.

PHOTO UPDATE

Here are a few update growth pics on the latest additions to my tank that I added back in Dec. '07.

Dustin's Deep Water Acro

This coral has become a little more brown in my tank, mostly due to being low in the tank, and becoming shaded by the Bonsai (directly above it).

DSCF0697.jpg

Turaki

This coral has become lighter in my tank.. a very bright baby blue, and has become my favorite of the three. It has fully encrusted the frag mount base.

DSCF0696.jpg

Lokani

The main "stem" of this frag has browned a little but the outstretched branches are a deep purple. New growth also has great color.

DSCF0698.jpg

And a picture I took while messing around with the camera tonight.

DSCF0701.jpg

SeeDemTails

Sweet pics. That Turaki is sweet!

I am really looking for an A. Efflorescens and of course a nice tort. I will be done for the time being with acros after that until I stare at my tank long enough to find another spot for something new!

Archived