Coral Vue Hydros

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

The only way you have too much flow is if your sloshing water out of the tank or blasting things off the rocks :P 600 GPH is definately not too much flow. That being said, if all 600 gph come from one pump directed at an SPS frag, then your gonna have trouble. The goal, IMO, is to get as much flow as you can as long as it stays fairly random and multi directional - dfiuse the streams via multiple powerheads and Y loc line spilters if need be.

Anyways, Im considering setting up a new tank when I transfer this fall and the 20 gal M-Tank is one Im really looking at. If what you say is true about a new 22g right angle corner class version coming out is true, I might wait for that (Im not a huge fan of rounded corners anyways).

Arrrrghhhh maty,.... I know 600 is not too much... I'm just worried that the water level in the display will go up too much (overflow). Also, originally my thought was to do a softies tank... now I am going the way of SPS.

As for the M-Tank 22... it may even be a 29. Ask Ken at Finnex about it... whatever it is they come out with, it WILL be worth it.

Update on my tank

PODS galore! My copepods are multiplying exponentially... yay! Also I ordered the free CUC from Aquatic Island... can't wait to clean up the algae... beautiful brown algae in the sand, rocks, and glass..... CUC should arrive at the end of next week...

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something unexpected happened today after I came home from drill. My extra pump and plumbing came in! (Thanks Ken!)... I bought a bit from Lowes to drill the acrylic... my first time ever drilling a hole in acrylic btw. I think it came out great! I'll take some pictures later... but now my M-tank is flowing 600+ gph... and still looks stock! Woot!

Oh yeah forgot to mention that I got my AquaClear Remora on Monday... I'll take pics of everything soon.

Well it's later... Here are the pics:

Remora when it arrived

RemoraInBox.jpg

Remora on tank

RemoraonTank.jpg

New Plumbing, New Pump

Newplumbing.jpg

FTS with new plumbing

FTSwithNewPlumbing.jpg

Another FTS with new plumbing

FTSwithNewPlumbing2.jpg

RayWhisperer

Congrats on a well planned(and done) nano.... Looks great, can't even tell it's anything but stock.

As a side note;(Too lazy to go back and look) Are you running 2 maxijet 1200's? If so, may I reccomend not doing so?.?.? The reason being, I ran two of em on my NC 24 and had major heat issues.... Even leaving the feeding lid open didn't resolve it.

Nope, I have two of the sump pumps that come with the Finnex. The second pump came with the package recieved yesterday. Expected a difference in heat... and there wasn't. Guess these pumps are highly efficient, and silent to boot.

I will have the maxijet 1200 in the 1st chamber hooked up to my remora in about a month... we'll see how that changes things.

3x maxijet 1200s on my 18 gal cube. The 250w DE pendant hanging overheard was where almost all of the tank heat came from (and im sure its the same with most people). As long as you run open top and keep some air blowing across the tank (a ceiling fan works well enough), you will be fine I think.

My new additions.... Sorry about the out of focus-ness...

Pyro (The Flame Angel) and Mollie (The Maid [skunk cleaner])

PyroMollie.jpg

Question... is it normal for flame angels to be so timid?

yes...flames are timid for 1st week or so

GOOd luck with a Angel in a reef tank...not a good choice IMO.

Maybe yours will behave.

Izzue

yes...flames are timid for 1st week or so

GOOd luck with a Angel in a reef tank...not a good choice IMO.

Maybe yours will behave.

Izzue

sushi is always on the menu.

There are definately worse dwarf angels than the flame as far as reef compatability. With the flame, general consensus seems to be that it will most likely leave most corals alone but there is alos a moderate change of getting one with a taste for coral/clams. I think something like C. argi aka pygmy angel is probably a better choice (rogue coral eating ones are rarer and it stays a bit smaller) although the flame angel can work.

Not too concerned about the nipping of corals. Flame angels and blue spotted jawfish have been my dream fishes.... So as long as I can have them, I'm happy. :)

I received my cleaner crew mid-last week from aquatic island.... awesome crew. Instead of 5 astrea snails, they sent me two big turbos? Really nice though, as these are the first turbos I've ordered via mail that have arrived alive. Everything's going well in the tank... also I'll be ordering my blue spot some time next week or the week after that. When my source gets them in...

My tank is filled with mostly Marshall island rock and it to was almost completely void of hitchhikers. All i found was one microscope feather duster.

Oh and everyones favorite anenomes!!

But now 2 months along the purples and reds are coming back its stunning.

I wouldnt trade it for anything else i have seen yet!

The lavender peices even made my co-worker a long time vetern say OOOOHH so it will be worth it later.

Thanks guys... this tank really is a sweet setup. The brand is awesome too... My wife and I went to one of our LFS's yesterday... there we saw the 29 gallon Oceanic. I started to look at it and thought it was cool at first... and thought maybe I should have waited. But after closer inspection, it wasn't hard to figure out I had made the right decision in getting an M-tank. I would highly recommend this tank if you're looking in the 20-30 gallon range. Plenty of room in the back, and none of the junk in the front... strictly padunkadunk.

Get us some pictures when you get your blue spot in. When will you start adding corals?

Will do. I can't wait to get it. The only thing I am concerned about with a blue spot jawfish is not seeing him. I hope he burrows in the front of the tank where most of the actual bed is. We'll see. As for coral, that will come as soon as my tank is stocked with fish (at least the blue spot)... I want all the mini cycles to be done and over with, so that the water parameters will be prestine for the SPS.

Sweet tank. Finnex sells a frameless 22gal. M-Tank. If I can find a dealer that sells just the tank without the lights I just may throw down for one of these cubes to replace my 18gal. acrylic all-in-one tank.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=Aquariums

Dude, that's awesome! They finally came out with the new glass tanks... I didn't think it would come out so fast. Get it! and SQUARE CORNERS!!!!!

Sweet tank. Finnex sells a frameless 22gal. M-Tank. If I can find a dealer that sells just the tank without the lights I just may throw down for one of these cubes to replace my 18gal. acrylic all-in-one tank.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=Aquariums

Dude, your Finnex is awesome.

I'm having a hard time following, though.

I get the remora - you got the regular one.

I didn't see what kind of light you have - I have a Coralife Aqualight Advanced I'm thinking of using, perhaps with a supplement of actinics, or perhaps use a 20k bulb.

Can you provide more detail on the plumbing?

Did kent sell you the extra pump directly with the plumbing? How much was it?

A step by step on the mod would be awesome...

I'm getting ready to buy this aquarium, but their skimmer seems...okay. They also apparently just came out with not only a Glass aquarium, but a refugium model...I'd prefer that with an aqua remora, and provide my own lighting...

Dude, your Finnex is awesome.

Thanks man. You'll definitely enjoy the Finnex... well until you get the 180 gallon bug.

I'm having a hard time following, though.

I'm sorry. I guess I should expound some more.

My light is an AquaMedic AB 150W Metal Halide HQI fixture.... bought a year ago from Hello Lights (my birthday present from my wife). At 6" above the water level, there has been no major significant difference in water temperature compared to the stock lighting... so open top on cubes is the way to go IMO. In the fixture I currently have an XM 20k bulb @ 10 months old. Will need to replace it soon, or right before I stock coral. My plan is to either stick with the XM 20k or switch to the Phoenix 14k. It's really color vs. growth in that choice, and honestly I'm not looking too much for growth if the SPS frags I get are of considerable size already.

I get the remora - you got the regular one.

Yes, that is correct. I have the regular Remora with the MaxiJet 1200. I have not yet run this because I'm waiting for at least most of my mini cycles to pass. I want the optimum amount of benificial bacteria in my tank before I even start to skim. Premature use of a skimmer may stunt or cap benificial bacteria growth, according to Ken from Finnex. I chose the Remora over the stock finnex protien skimmer because I've heard of both noise and maintenance issues with the stock. Remora's have a reputation of great skimmate output, and consistency to boot.

Can you provide more detail on the plumbing?

I can try. I bought a 5/8" bit (wood boring bit was all I could actually find) and drilled a hole in the acrylic back wall. Inserted the extra plumbing pieces I received, and also used some 5/8" (inner diameter) clear vinyl tubing for the long stretches... hooked it up to the extra pump, and wallah!

Did kent sell you the extra pump directly with the plumbing? How much was it?

Ken did sell me the extra pump and plumbing directly. However, he did limit how much extra plumbing I could purchase as he has only a limited surplus supply. All in all with shipping it only cost me around $20. Not bad at all, but then I did spend so much on the tank and stand.

A step by step on the mod would be awesome...

I'm not sure how much more "step by step I can get"... I may take more detailed pictures later today.

I'm getting ready to buy this aquarium, but their skimmer seems...okay. They also apparently just came out with not only a Glass aquarium, but a refugium model...I'd prefer that with an aqua remora, and provide my own lighting...

Personally, I would contact Premium Aquatics or Chris at www.nanotuners.com

I think Chris may be more inclined to sell the combo parted out. Don't quote me on that though, but he will at least try to find a way (I know). As for the skimmer, I've read more about it working, than not... it's not bad, I would guess, just to start out with... then later on down the road upgrade to the Remora.

Lastly, I would recommend the glass over the acrylic. Never had the acrylic tank, but after reading so many posts about people having to "live with" scratches, I don't think it's worth the hassle. And for me at least, I'd be hard on myself if I had to live with a scratch that I made. Acrylic is nice when it comes to clarity, but durability would be my sales point on the glass.

Thanks, dude- got an email back from Ken. They'll sell the pump, but not plumbing. I was just curious to see how you plumbed the second pump. I have some 5/8 clear hose here...

Every once in a while I have stuff delivered to the office - corals and stuff - and thought about a bucket with a MJ1200. In reality, that's not sexy, and we can't have that in the office, so I went off and got a nano on impulse and with trepidation. 4.4G nano it is...the problem is, as always, I'm growing out of it a little and would like more water volume...

The aquamedic looks sharp. I may purchase the whole tank stock, and sell the Finnex 36W PC down the line. I currently have one of the Coralife Advanced Aqualights, and I'm thinking of using that since it does have an adjustable clamp and I have a brand new 20k bulb...

Also looking at how to make a nice top that doesn't melt with some good mesh and doesn't heat up the tank.

I found the M22 Finnex Glass tank sold locally for $199 with the 36W lights...

I may pick it up this afternoon.

Did you think of using a wavemaker for counter flow on the pumps? Curious...

I also had ordered CPR Aquafuge (the small 2.5G one before I decided to go this route) that's coming in the mail. We'll see how that goes...

Looking forward to detailed pictures!

Here are the pictures of the plumbing/extra pump. This will be as close of a write up as I can get hindsight...

The Bit

After measuring the outer diameter of the finnex plumbing, I went out to shop for a corresponding hole saw bit. There was one problem however, Lowes did not carry a hole saw of that size (5/8")... After walking around and looking through the bits again and again (like it was really going to magically appear)... I spotted a bit the size I was looking for, but it wasn't a hole saw.... something called a Forstner Bit. I thought, why not. Maybe dumb of me, but at least I got balls. Bought it and returned home.

Bit.jpg

The head of the bit... notice that the Forstner Bit (a wood bit) makes a hole via shaving little by little... unlike a hole saw designed to actually cut a hole.

Bit2.jpg

Since I still had the 1st tank I recieved with the pit in the glass, I decided to try the bit on its acrylic wall first. Everything was good. If you have at least some experience with a drill, you can use this bit easy.

Footprint of the bit. Note the bit's pilot in the middle. Also note that once a significant footprint has been drilled, the walls of the bit will actually stabilize the bit within the footprint.

BitFootprint.jpg

The End Result

I was fortunate enough to acquire extra plumbing pieces from Ken at Finnex, so the output plumbing was pretty much self explanatory. There was only one challenge, which was that I needed something that would connect the extra pump to the output plumbing. I had some extra vinyl hose laying around from my ATO set up... (readily available at any hardware stores in the plumbing aisle)... Luckily it was the perfect fit. Cut the hose as needed, and....

The two pumps:

2Pumps.jpg

2Pumps2.jpg

The bottom pump is the original, the top pump is the extra. When I ordered the second pump, I also ordered an extra bottom rain tray... (the bottom rain tray has longer legs to accomodate the pump's height)

2Pumps3.jpg

Here's some top shots of the plumbing:

FromRight.jpg

FromLeft.jpg

Fin

Thanks for the pics! I went out and bought my M22 Glass for $199 today - the PC's didn't bother me since I have a light I'm already thinking about putting on that's in my garage - 150MH.

I did buy a powersweep only to figure out what a piece of crud that is.

I considered the second pump and plumbing. My problem is that I'm not sure I want 2 heaterpumps in there, with no mechanism to switch.

A SCWD may work here with a beefier pump, switching between both bits of plumbing...

I did get a hydor flo...which may be interesting...

Ideally, I'd like to switch about 600gph between two outlets, and perhaps I may add a maxi in the middle with a hydor flo.

I'll definately do my lid the same as yours...

Depending on where the tank ends up, and how hot the neighborhood is, I am debating on the fuge. I picked up a couple of 12W halide lights for the back to light up some chaeto and other types of algae..

Not ready yet for the remora or a top off, since I'm at work every day and can fill up the aquarium pretty easily for now...

More to follow...

Ocean In A Box

bluebastion -

First, thanks for starting & maintaining thus far, a great thread on the 20 M tank.

Awhile ago I too got the same tank...unfortunately, mine is STILL awaiting setup as I need to build a stand & canopy first. After reading this entire post I am re-inspired to get off my a$$ and build those things so that I can get going!

You have done awesome so far...I hope you can continue the pics and updates as I will watch this thread from now on.

Great work,

Matt <Ocean In A Box>

p.s. Here's some reading on mine and some other links that I hope you find interesting and applicable to this thread!

A link w/ some info about where I got my glass 20g M-tank, some pictures, mods, ro/di top off units, etc, and some info about other’s (fluke) similar tanks:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=80068&st=0

Here is a link to a 30g tank (gascotter) which has some awesome mods and thoughts about flow, H2O movement, refug, lights, & other mods, etc…great thread IMO and verry applicable to the glass 20g M-Tanks:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...c=72822&hl=

By the way, if you have a nano tank of any small size and need something awesome to keep the viewing panes crystal clear EASILY, take a look:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...c=59380&hl=

Also, besides what is in the first threadlink in the above post, I have pics of the tank in my gallery here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showgalle...mp;ppuser=18970

Matt <Ocean In A Box>

So the picture's coming clearer...:)

Turns out the Aqualight Advanced / Coralife fits...perfectly behind the finnex 2 X 36W PC.

So...I could run the finnex in the front, the Aqualight Advanced in the rear...

Time to think of potential cooling issues. 150+72=222W into a 20G tank...even if it's an open top, I still may put a couple of larger computer fans behind...

The nice thing about the finnex light is that at least I don't have to screw around with moonlights and soldering.

Rats - I'm going to have to consider getting a used AC Jr. or something like it...been here before...

Did you just take all of the lower trays and place a bunch of chaeto and live rock behind? I couldn't tell by your setup.

For now I think I'll stick with the stock skimmer, but it does seem to rob a good bunch of the rear space if you're trying to create some sort of a refugium...remora some other day.

....good news. Ordered my blue spotted jawfish. Supposed to come in on Wednesday (overnight).... still waiting on the invoice and tracking number though. So until then, I'll bank on it about 70%.

Archived