Cultivated Reef

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

Cool...I have a uncle thats a Dr in Columbia.

Just got back from a week of white water in Tenn last week...nice COLD water.

Sounds good on the little Tunze ( I was referring to the larger ones and Seio bout the heat and room). Those little ones should be easy to hide behind the LR and Im sure you could get creative to hide the cords.

Keep up the great work

Izzue

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was referring to the larger ones and Seio bout the heat and room.

Izzue

Izzue,

The nanostream are the ones I'm referring to. They are only 7w each. Not a huge concern for heat issues. I understand they are a wee bit big but not huge. 2.7" in diameter in the top corners of the tank shouldn't be noticed that much... Should it?

Jordan

2.7" in diameter in the top corners of the tank shouldn't be noticed that much... Should it?

Jordan

Heya Jordan...its all about how you want it anyways...its your tank...Also I keep forgeting the tanks Yu and Blue have are more like cubes compared to my older Finnex model 18 gal...its 2 feet long and the display is only 8 inches wide in the middle of bow. So as you can Imagine...any PH put inside my tank are all in the way as far as taking up room and looking like crap...I actually had a Fluvall in it when I 1st set it up (filter in it helped polish the water in the beginning)...then I tried a Seio...omg it took up so much room. I finally drilled the left and right side (larger) and installed bulkheads and added SCWD on 2500 RIO. I kicked around the idea of a Squirt but it would have to be external...and that would not have worked well. I do have a backup SCWD in case it stops...but so far I love this setup and the SCWD has worked flawless and does a great job of flow switching.

I use Purple up once a week or so and I still enjoy watching how the flow works in my tank when it starts sending the PU in the tank and you can see how the flow gets smashed side to side :D

Izzue

I came home from work today and was pleasantly received by my PA package. 3 Tunze pumps... So far I have only opened the boxes to take the stickers off of the pumps and add the suction cups. I may put them into the tank later tonight... I may not.. and just wait to order the RK 2.

Izzue - Right now, I'm not too concerned about hiding the Tunze pumps and its cords... I just want to make sure I've got some good flow to my tank. I've come to grips that having the tank perfectly "clean" is a pipe dream for me. :)

All three pumps are in... and running at the same time right now. Temp is at 80 w/o MH on (normally 79 in the morning). When I get home from work today (12pm) I should be able to get a better grasp on how all the pumps on affect my tank.

PUMP UPDATE

Nice..... been home for 6 hours already (since work)... tank is staying stable at ~80.5. That's with all three added pumps! Wow... less than 1 degree of a difference. Must be the open top design? Or maybe the small 5 watt power consumption and energy efficiency of each of the mini Tunze pumps? :) Anyway, the results are better than I had expected! The polyp extensions on my corals have never been better! And the random current is also better than ever before.... my "chip's" tentacles are moving and swaying unpredictably... as for the rest of the SPS polyps.

So 890+ GPH in the 20 M-tank has shown great results for SPS so far... that's not including the MJ1200 Power Head on my Remora (of course).

I'll post a current FTS of my tank later today.....

CONTROLLER UPDATE

I'm rethinking the RK2... May go with the Neptune ACIII. It has information logging, as well as web access and control. Any thoughts?

PICTURE UPDATES

I'll start with the coral updates... like I said earlier, polyp extension has been amazing since I added the new Tunze mini-pumps.... I think they just needed a tad more flow.

Tenuis:

9-7.jpg

Chips:

9-2.jpg

Slimer:

9-6.jpg

Idaho Grape:

9-4.jpg

Blue Tort:

9.jpg

Bonsai:

9-1.jpg

Top Right Corner of Tank:

9-5.jpg

9.23.06 FTS (w/ 3 new Tunze mini-pumps):

9-3.jpg

PUMP UPDATE

I'm rethinking the RK2... May go with the Neptune ACIII. It has information logging, as well as web access and control. Any thoughts?

Take Out a Small Loan...doh

Blue the Neptune is nice...especially if your avid enough to keep up with the software stuff...but boy howdy is that thing expensive...time you add all the bells and whistles its over a grand.

RK2 would be enough for me but I dont even have one of those...Guess Im to much old style...I can stair at my tank for a few minutes and tell if something is wrong or off a little.

Very nice Controller Blue...but pricceeyy IMO

Tell ya what...get the RK2...dont like it..Ill buy it from ya cheap :D

Get a Neptune...You could say you helped out Izzue and tried them both.

hehehe

Peace

Izzue

I like Izzues idea. And put me next in line to buy it from you if he doesn't want it. Haha.

On another note... WOW! Your tank is looking better and better everytime I see a photo. I honestly can't tell the positions of the three pumps... Are they all behind the live rock? Facing each other? Facing the glass? Haha.

Jordan

Take Out a Small Loan...doh

Blue the Neptune is nice...especially if your avid enough to keep up with the software stuff...but boy howdy is that thing expensive...time you add all the bells and whistles its over a grand.

RK2 would be enough for me but I dont even have one of those...Guess Im to much old style...I can stair at my tank for a few minutes and tell if something is wrong or off a little.

Very nice Controller Blue...but pricceeyy IMO

Tell ya what...get the RK2...dont like it..Ill buy it from ya cheap :D

Get a Neptune...You could say you helped out Izzue and tried them both.

hehehe

Peace

Izzue

:P LOL... I've already decided NOT to get the ACIII mostly due to the price. I'll be going the RK route... however, it may be later than sooner. Two reasons...

1) My wife has made an agreement with me that I'll have to wait on the RK if I want to get a replacement for "Blue"... I think that is fair, since BSJ's are over half an RK price. (I think getting another BSJ is more prudent as the last season of them being collected this year will end soon).

2) There's a hint from Digital Aquatics on Reef Central that they're working on a RK that will LOG data as well! I'm hoping it comes out soon, and have already tried to make contact with Digital Aquatics concerning their work in progress. I was inclined to go for the ACIII because of it's data logging and remote web access.... but price aside, I think it's ugly. I mean come on... It does all that stuff, but the LCD screen still looks like a slice of the Classic Game Boy screen! The RK2 with the blue and black is just plain classy.

NorCal - Check out the last picture... you can see 2 of the pumps, one on each side of the live rock mound, facing the front glass of the tank. The 3rd pump is mounted underneath one of the side pumps facing behind the rock.... to blow any debris that may "want" to settle back there. I guess it's a compliment that you didn't even notice them. :)

Forgot to also add: I updated my lid... same concept, same frame... but 3 layers of net. If my next BSJ gets past this lid, I'm calling it quits on a BSJ.

Also, can someone explain ORP to me in layman's terms?

Hey all!

Back...

The skimmer was totally unimpressive, so I have the remora now. However...given the hole placement for Closed Loop, I have to play some games with the bulkhead to run the hoses BEHIND the remora - probably not so bad.

Also - oceans motions came in...getting ready to set that in...

I may also be able to punch the tank for one or two iceprobes I've been incubating....

more to follow...

Uh oh.. someone was bad and ordered an RK2... Shhhh she doesn't know yet.

BTW, I ordered it from nanotuners.com since it says it's in stock.... I hope it isn't a drop ship item, as I'd like to recieve it by the end of the week.

If anyone needs to buy a stock pump and skimmer for this tank, let me know - have them both, never touched saltwater.

I am using a Mag 7 for tons of flow on an Oceans Motions squirt, hence I don't need them...

...really thinking about a reef wall, though...and perhaps a nano doc skimmer.

Oh... you're an intelligent specimen, Mr. Ray. So keen, you are.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

.... and now my plan for world domination is almost complete......

Getting What???? doh

Cant wait to see how ya like it.

New Pic of My SPS before some goes to LFS for credit today.

The Acro needs a better home with more lighting...its browning slightly.

Dang Frogspawn is stinging Orange cap...and trying to sting Idoha Blue Cap

Izzue

post-14574-1159624012_thumb.jpg

Looks great Izzue.... that sucks about the stinging part. So you haven't had too much trouble with a mixed reef? I would just thinkit would be a handful to worry about... especially since SPS would be the VIP.

Update on BSJ

Blue 2 has arrived, however... his health is concerning me. I'm hoping he will recover from whatever his condition is. I'm keeping a close eye on him...

I ordered the BSJ from Make'n Waves this time. It's a pretty new internet vendor, and so far has been great to work with. The guy who owns the place, Jim, seems like a class A type of guy. He also seems to have a ton of experience with marine livestock and husbandry if you read his site... as well as hear from his own experiences (over the phone). Anyways, before he sent me the BSJ (and two scarlett hermits) he called me the day before delivery (yesterday) to confirm my order and to let me know that they treat all of their fish for parasites (particularly flukes) before they send them out.... that said, I think that may be why my fish seems to be having a difficult time right now. After properly acclimating him, he wasn't very active in the tank (like Blue 1 was when I first put him in)... he was breathing heavily, and also had some white fluffy junk in his mouth. Mollie, the cleaner shrimp, was and still is particularly interested in cleaning Blue 2's mouth. So it must be giving off some scent. Anyways, I'm pulling for him to get better, as he has made himself hidden under a rock in the back of the rock work. (where as Blue 1 went right away building a burrow). Make'n Waves has a 10 day guarentee on their livestock, so we'll see if I'll need to use this in a few days or less. I'm hoping not, but I made sure that I had some type of guarentee to fall back on just in case. BTW here's the website link to Make'n Waves... Check them out... AND if there is something you just can't find (like my BSJ... I've looked all over) these guys CAN DO IT! They'll try their best for any special order fish, coral, and other livestock... so check them out:

http://www.mknwaves.com

Oh and they do have BSJ's in too if you're interested.

Fine, Henry.... what you think I'm lying? :) Maybe I am... maybe I didn't even make this tank.... maybe it's just a diversion scheme so the FBI won't catch on that I'm trying to take over the world.... :mellow: .....or maybe...

Picture Update

Well it's not much, but I have a few pics to show:

Top Down

TOPDOWN.jpg

Fresh Reef Keeper 2 in box... it's up and running now

RK2.jpg

Blue 2 (right after I put him in)... hang in there fella

Blue2.jpg

About the Reef Keeper 2, I have all my Tunze pumps connected to it and on the wavemaker function... my heater is connected to the RK2 to act as a redundant system (it will shut off the heater if the tank gets too hot)... I have my fan connected to it to come on when the temp hits a certain point.... this is opposed to the fan just turning on and off with the light..... helps stabilize temps better.

As for the pH probe, I don't have one yet as the vendor I bought it from did not have probes available on the website. (nanotuners.com) I ordered it on Tuesday night and it arrived at my door on Friday morning. Now that's fast via priority. I will eventually get the pH probe, but right now it's not a priority.

If only I had 270. It is defiantly worth it, as it can do temp, pH, wavemaker, timer, and control your heaters and fans so your heater doesnt break and fry your tank.

Oh, btw, I just went to HD and went through just about every isle and couldnt find most of the stuff. Do you remember the sections they were in. I assume that the rubber spline and spline roller would be in insulation because of the doors and stuff. But what about the other stuff. One guy said the bird net would be in the garden section, but that was probaly because I said bird. HD's and lowes websites dont come up with anything in the searches.

So you haven't had too much trouble with a mixed reef? I would just thinkit would be a handful to worry about... especially since SPS would be the VIP.

NOpe...this tank has run flawless, with a lot of my time and care. The SCWD with great flow has made all the differnence in the world. As far as the mixed tank I love it...I never planned a MH on this tank hence no SPS domin...esp since its so close to the Plasma :D

Im getting where I love LPS more than SPS anyways.

But my next tank will be larger with MH and VHO combo

Blue I hope your little fisshee hangs in their...he looks AWESOME.

Keep up the great pics and progress...might turn the lights out early to let fishee calm some. Have you put any additives in the tank where you could observe the RF2 mixing up the current with your new PH??? How do yu like that part of controller??

Peace

Izzue

Oh, btw, I just went to HD and went through just about every isle and couldnt find most of the stuff. Do you remember the sections they were in.

Yes I remember actually... the spline, screen framing, and elbows were in the window/door section... along the back wall. The bird netting was in the garden center... outside, pretty much in the back corner between fencing and the brics and stones....

HTH

Blue I hope your little fisshee hangs in their...he looks AWESOME.

Keep up the great pics and progress...might turn the lights out early to let fishee calm some. Have you put any additives in the tank where you could observe the RF2 mixing up the current with your new PH??? How do yu like that part of controller??

Peace

Izzue

I hope he hangs in there too... I hate going through the trouble of exchange/replacements... but I am thankful it's an option for the worst.

As for the wavemaker part... it's pretty nifty.... I think the best part about it is the soft start... (which seems to be a debated thing) ... anyways... there are only three cycles you can put each power head on. So even if you have like 6 powerheads connected to the RK2, it only has 3 individual cycles you can assign each power head to: A, B, and C.... A and B always run opposite each other... so when A is on... B is off... vice versa. C runs independently from A and B. You can set the time duration for A and B (default is 6 minutes).... and C seperately set (default 8 minutes at a time). To answer your question Izzue, I can just look at the drifting debris in the water and see what is on and off, and I like what I see. RK2's wave maker I think is the perfect combo for price and size matched to our nanos... If I had a bigger tank however (over 100 gallons) I'd go with an Aquatronica or Neptune ACIII.

The reason I haven't been so excited about the RK2 is because I'm more excited about the next software update that should be coming out soon.... it will enable it to log data and hopefully graph results... Also, I'm hoping that they will develop some type of web server to add on. We'll see.... check out the Digital Aquatics Forum on reef central for more info.

Archived